• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083A1 Driver's Door Glass Replacement

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Production date 10/98 (see guys I'm learning)
I want to replace the door glass that goes up and down. I've searched the threads and can't seem to find anyone else who did this. I searched my manuals and I have found all the flat glass replacement but not the door glass that goes up and down. My examination says that the guides and rubber has to come out and the door glass in and then sit at the bottom of the door while you reinstall the frame and rubber. And then I got out my "magic wand" and that didn't work either. Any comers appreciated and if not I'll report on it after the fact. Thank you, Lugnuts

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I went ahead and handled the job since that is what I do, and I figure I will post this for the next person who wants the information.
Thanks to all the persons that have helped me in the past and will help me in the future. Hopefully this well help someone.

Caution: Alcohol is not a prerequisite for this job!

Disassembly
Remove inside door panel and all that goes with it.
Lower Window to where you have access to 2 - 6mm bolts that hold glass. Remove bolts while taking care to not letting the glass fall to bottom of door. When this does rest on the bottom of the door take caution to make sure that it will not drop any further and in fact you are at the bottom of the door.
At the base of the window channels are 90 degree brackets that hold the channel to the door. I found that I just needed to do the forward bracket so as to be able to manipulate the channel at the point of glass removal. Self explanatory when the time comes.
Remove the rubber that is in the track and on the inside base of the door where the window opening is. Do not remove the outside base seal.
If you take note you find that you cannot take the metal channel out of the door because it is pop riveted around the perimeter of the channel to the door. The channel and base legs are all one piece.
So here comes the pucker factor.
The glass has to stay in the rear metal channel and as you first lift the glass to remove it. the glass has to clear the metal channel in the front of the window opening and you have to patiently manipulate the glass at the bottom of the window to change angle at the point of that contact. It suddenly will clear the point and what you have is glass in the rear channel and glass forward is just outside the channel and as you lift out it comes out. It is tight and you will be tempted to force it because it is so close but don't do it. Several attempts may have to be made to understand it but in the end you will say yea!
Now that the glass is out you can remove the weatherstripping that is at the outside base but be cautioned removal is easy and reinstallation is not. I would do it if I was painting or replacing the weatherstrip. But reinstallation of the weatherstrip has to be done before you put your glass in. If not you will be doing your job twice. I know, I did it.
The weatherstrip is reinstalled on the outside of the door and then you work from the inside to reinstall the tabs in the cutouts in the door.

Reinstallation
Outside weatherstrip in.
Glass is manipulated inside the channels as it was taken out. It is lowered to the bottom of the door.
Rubber seal for channels is installed at rear and top.
Glass is now slid up into rear channel and bolts in on Regulator. The Regulator is then turned down to the lowest position it will go.
Now Front rubber for channel is lubricated an slid down forward channel as far as you can.
You can now raise glass to go up in channel and when the glass goes up it will slide on the rubber. You can now use the glass movement of cranking to get the rest of there seal down in the channel. Go up, pinch rubber to top of glass, crank down holding seal to glass and forcing it down.
Secure your front bracket and channel and reassemble

If anything needs to be edited, by all means help yourself. This is a primer and it worked for me
Thanks

I almost forgot to mention that in the search for my new window, I was given on name on this website a fellow named Erik. Here is the rest of the information.

Omni Glass and Paint, Inc.
2444 Industrial Drive
Neenah, WI. 54956
Phone- 920-233-3333
As I understand it they make Windshields, Door glass for these units
I can strongly recommend their business/ Much less expensive also.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks