• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083A1 Suspension Arms ie Dog Bones for Rear Axles

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am finding as I get older that it is expedient to humble yourself and claim ignorance rather than repair and find out how this stuff is really assembled. On these torque arms I notice that the ends are constructed differently than the M35/ The M35's the Bushing get pushed out and that takes care of the bushing and the mounting bolt. The M1083A1 has a large ball on the end of the mounting bushing and rubber in the end but no longer can you just press it out.
This leads me to the conclusion that either the whole arm gets replaced or that somehow you replace the rubber in the ends. The price of the whole arm drives me to find out the truth before I just replace.
Would the knowledgable in this matter please steer in the correct direction of said matter and who might be the best vendor or person to get parts from?
Thank you
Lugnuts

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Seco/midwest has the complete arms.

There is no part number listed for the insert itself.

ZF in Gainesville makes em under # 00001-3019

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seco/midwest has the complete arms.

There is no part number listed for the insert itself.

ZF in Gainesville makes em under # 00001-3019
Thank you, that is a start/ Memphis Equipment also stocks them as a whole arm/ I am also try to get the best price/ Do they make an insert?

coachgeo

Do they make heim or similar joints large enough to take the torture that is available more readily? As expensive as the NOS is, looks like you could have new ones made up for same cost and end up with a serviceable part.

Only thing bad about heim Im discovering is if you live in the rust belt.. they take ton of regular maintenance. If your around rust world....... use a different large joint that has a boot??

coachgeo

Do they make heim or similar joints large enough to take the torture that is available more readily? As expensive as the NOS is, looks like you could have new ones made up for same cost and end up with a serviceable part.

Only thing bad about heim Im discovering is if you live in the rust belt.. they take ton of regular maintenance. If your around rust world....... use a different large joint that has a boot??
Canadian Rockwell sells ginormous heim joints Ive discovered. Makes since because they sell Meritor axles to Monster truck builders. they might have a suggestion for you .... or can even make you up new bones.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like the solution is finding the best price right now. What have you got for a solution??? I'm listening!
My problem is I'm at the beginning of Brush Fire season and Annual Preventive Maintenance and as long as they don't fall off the truck isn't coming out of service! But great suggestions have been made and I haven't researched them yet.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Seems like the solution is finding the best price right now. What have you got for a solution??? I'm listening!
My problem is I'm at the beginning of Brush Fire season and Annual Preventive Maintenance and as long as they don't fall off the truck isn't coming out of service! But great suggestions have been made and I haven't researched them yet.
if this is for fire service then would think some types heim joints better than OEM. Nothing to melt maybe. Which goes back to contact Canadian Rockwell

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that indeed has possibilities. They come greasable also. So in my ignorance what is the difference between a Johnie Joint and a Heim Joint? Does anyone posses the center to center measurement on those torque arms? thank you

Last edited:

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would this work for rebuilding?

If the flea bay link does not work just search for "CHASSIS TORQUE ROD TORSION SUSPENSION SEAL KIT W/ TOOL FMTV MTV 2510-01-499-5596"
Thanks for the input but I went to EBay and looked at the instructions and I don't see that this would fit my needs unless the seal was designed to shield a ball bearing type application. I guess I don't know on what or how these are applied to the torque arms. If anyone has an explanation I would love to hear.

jtcawrse

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks to me like this seal kit would replace the existing seals on the torque arms. I've never done this so I'm not sure either. Hopefully someone who has can jump in and give their 2 cents. @Suprman ?

coachgeo

Yes, that indeed has possibilities. They come greasable also. So in my ignorance what is the difference between a Johnie Joint and a Heim Joint? Does anyone posses the center to center measurement on those torque arms? thank you
Johnie Joint is more enclosed..... and many rebuild-able... it is also ball and socket where the ball rides around in Poly urethane or similar cups... where a Heim is greased metal on metal ..... that is more open to the elements.... and not sure if any are rebuild able.

Again though Im no expert..... curious if they make johnie joint as large as those available in heim? curious how large the make Tie rod ends for that matter.. if they make huge ones of those too..... esp. if they are threaded...... then that opens up options to experiment with all three types over the years if one wisely made the bone that holds the ends with a thread that would be a bit universal for any of the large ends across all three types.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks