• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1085 or M1078 for overland RV conversion plaform?

ME Lobstah strong

I have the option of buying a M1085 or M1078 and I am trying to weigh the Pros and Cons of each platform.

M1085:
Pros: longer bed frame, 6x6, more payload
Cons: Extra tire costs, additional differential maintenance.

M1078:
Pros: Fewer tires, fewer diffs, more manuverable.
Cons: shorter, less payload.

That is all I have so far, any input would be a great help in making my decision.

Thank you

coachgeo

.......M1085:
Pros: ..., 6x6, more payload...
Only a value if you need the payload. Most aluminum boxes or even one that is combo aluminum skin, steel frame boxes.... used in builds of expedition camper box's ...... you won't need the extra payload

one advantage you skipped..... traction and flotation on sand/snow. There the 6x6 helps

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Profo added 4ft of frame to the back of his 1078. Rather than using a lab truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We love our 4x4 M1079, we drive it all the time on and off road. We never really drove a 6x6 very far until we made this video about a new Acela and what really goes into one, there are many pros and cons to each truck, overall either way is going to be very fun no matter if you choose a 4x4 or 6x6 !!!!

Hopefully this is a informative video for you to view, we don't really go into a comparison about the two models but mostly highlight the 6x6 we are driving.

Cheers
Seth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLUbuoMXF6o&t=4s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks