• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1085a1 Wrong Fuel, Now Won’t Start

TurboTerry

Long story short, operators filled it with gasoline instead of diesel, I’ve put new filters and priming pump(check valve was gone so wasn’t working) and completely cleaned out the fuel system and the thing just cranks and cranks and doesn’t start. No visible leaks in the fuel system anywhere but after cranking it loses prime like it is leaking. Any help would be appreciated. Ive been working on these things for nearly 3 straight years now and never had this issue before now.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If it was tried to be started, there is a good chance that the rings are burnt at least VERY DRY and not sealing, with NO lube going though the ip, there is a good that the ip got hurt very bad. Try pulling the injectors, pore some motor oil to lube the rings, let it set for a bit, when oil is spit back you will know the the rings are sealing, as far as the ip goes, try forcing some oil though it, fill it full of oil for a bit, being that there is very few seals in the ip, metal to metal fit is what is used, gas did NOT help this fit.

Well sir that's about all I can think of, and than you for your service.

MAdams

If it was tried to be started, there is a good chance that the rings are burnt at least VERY DRY and not sealing, with NO lube going though the ip, there is a good that the ip got hurt very bad. Try pulling the injectors, pore some motor oil to lube the rings, let it set for a bit, when oil is spit back you will know the the rings are sealing, as far as the ip goes, try forcing some oil though it, fill it full of oil for a bit, being that there is very few seals in the ip, metal to metal fit is what is used, gas did NOT help this fit. /QUOTE]

What kind of IP does this motor have?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's losing prime I would suspect the issue is with the fact that you changed the priming pump, and something now has a leak, was incorrectly installed, etc.

TurboTerry

MAdams thanks for the advice I’ll give that a shot. What do you mean by IP? I think I’m just brain farting and not realizing what it stands for lol
Awesomeness, it definitely was not installed wrong, there are only 2 lines on it and they’re tight and the filter is snug without any leaks so I can’t see that being the issue.
And scottmandu that’s a good suggestion that I will look further into.
I appreciate everyone’s help so far and will get back to y’all whenever I figure out what my issue is.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesomeness, it definitely was not installed wrong, there are only 2 lines on it and they’re tight and the filter is snug without any leaks so I can’t see that being the issue.
It was more just a "scientific method" thing. If you only took apart one thing, and it didn't leak before, it's the most likely single cause. Maybe it wasn't installed wrong, but the fitting got some dirt in it, there's a knick in an o-ring, or the new primer has a leak in the diaphragm. Seems easiest to look there first before tearing apart the engine.

coachgeo

hmmm...... been there done that..... but on a vw. It was drove to my place on a mix of petrol and diesel. Just drained the fuel by siphon..... filled with diesel and a qt. of pure canola vegetable oil to up the lubricity so any petrol in the system still does not reduce the lubricity ..... and she was a happy puppy for years after. I would bet the CAT would be fine. Yes, the IP on many diesels is lubed by diesel fuel and so is injectors... but how far was it driven on petrol. How much was petrol and how much diesel that was still in tank before petrol added.

Sincerely hope best for you in this predicament. My gut seems to be betting on it being prime issue also. Maybe try temporary 12v fuel pump put inline between tank and priming pump. have done this before to get around/find diesel air leaks.... (pushed fuel leaks out..... sucked fuel..... sucks in air).

Is it A1 with a c7 or a 3126

screw on fuel filter..... did the gasket or O ring from the old one come off (if there is one.... not removed mine yet). Have heard of the old filters gasket/O ring sticking to housing and then when new one put on... the double gasket/ring sucked air like a shop vac.

Last edited:

Jericho

have had he same happen with cat powered forklifts. How long did it run and how much gas to diesel . I would have to agree it , sounds like is airbound, Does it crank and fire with some start fluid down the intake ?

TurboTerry

I know it's been a minute, had to order some things for the truck. Anyways. I'm in the military so there is no "put it up for auction" unfortunately. Was off working on some other stuff and now I'm back to this. No fuel leaks. No air in the system. Tried pulling injectors and putting in a little oil but didn't work. The engine is a 3126 btw, it's an M1085. Any of y'all know where the fuel shut off is so I can compression test this thing?? Or am I going about it wrong and just test it with fuel flowing? I tried to do the test and all it did was fill the compression tester with fuel. I'm lost at the moment as I've never really had an issue with this before.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Oh and no. It does not fire at all. With ether or without.
Does it turn over FAST, with not starting on either, since this cuts out the fuel system and there is not much else between start and not start , I am guessing the rings or valves are burnt bad, the engine SHOULD fire on either even if turned off

TurboTerry

It'll fire on ether but won't stay running. Had it going for a bit with a really really rough idle and it died on me and won't start again. I've checked everything I know to check. The last few things I'm down to are as follows. First, I think it could be the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head. It has BARELY any pressure on the check valve inside of it and while priming the truck it allows fuel to steadily flow back to the tank and never really primes. Second, I tested the fuel shutoff solenoid and it has around about 11 ohms of resistance. As I don't have the T.O. I can't say if that is good or not. And finally, I think the governor could be messed up but idk for sure because I don't know how to test or check it. And I only think governor because everything else is perfectly fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks