• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1087 vs bridge

DannyBtruckn

It is. I'm the one who had to secure that mess at LZ Phantom to get it off base when the new base commander came in. There were a lot of opinions shared that day.
This truck has sure done a lot of trips on a trailer. Glad Uncle Sam is stimulating our country’s owner operators. Manufactured in Texas and probably went to PA and then wrecked being hauled through Ohio. Then to Hooks, TX , Fort Cavazos, then to an auction yard in Springtown, and lowboyed to a diesel shop’s storage in Bertram for over a year. Then I finally got up the courage to drive it on backroads to my house in Burnet.

DannyBtruckn

I’m an idiot for dismantling and loading the scrap onto my car hauler all by hand. All I had to load it was a tiny ATV winch on the trailer. Had to get creative with bottle jacks, trail jacks, and comealongs. Only almost died twice and was sore for a month after. What’s dumb is I have a big skidsteer but I loaned it out and it was 1,200 miles away. On a positive note the aluminum scrap paid for all the beer it took to get the job done and I did learn a lot on how/how not to build a van body. Crazy how overbuilt and heavy this thing was.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m an idiot for dismantling and loading the scrap onto my car hauler all by hand. All I had to load it was a tiny ATV winch on the trailer. Had to get creative with bottle jacks, trail jacks, and comealongs. Only almost died twice and was sore for a month after. What’s dumb is I have a big skidsteer but I loaned it out and it was 1,200 miles away. On a positive note the aluminum scrap paid for all the beer it took to get the job done and I did learn a lot on how/how not to build a van body. Crazy how overbuilt and heavy this thing was.
The 1087 and 1079 boxes are both massively overbuilt. Way more quality habitat than you can buy on the civilian market.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of really unusable weight ! Triple the p.i.t.a. to build a usable interior for civilian use to only gain some walk around space once you get it all slid out ! Now youve got a GREAT platform to build a non slide out with 20 ft of floor or more if you go all the way to the back of the cab with the box ! And the great big storage boxs / huge frame / plenty of open frame to hang more fuel tanks on ! It doesnt get any better than this chassis for a killer build at a decent weight ! LOL the best thing that happend to this truck was hitting that bridge ! Keep us posted on your progress !

DannyBtruckn

A lot of really unusable weight ! Triple the p.i.t.a. to build a usable interior for civilian use to only gain some walk around space once you get it all slid out ! Now youve got a GREAT platform to build a non slide out with 20 ft of floor or more if you go all the way to the back of the cab with the box ! And the great big storage boxs / huge frame / plenty of open frame to hang more fuel tanks on ! It doesnt get any better than this chassis for a killer build at a decent weight ! LOL the best thing that happend to this truck was hitting that bridge ! Keep us posted on your progress !
Yeah, they really missed the boat on design for usability. Slide outs are nice to open the central area but what are you going to do with a hallway running around the center of your hab? (For those not familiar the slide out floors on the m1087 store upright and hinge down when slid out.)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, they really missed the boat on design for usability. Slide outs are nice to open the central area but what are you going to do with a hallway running around the center of your hab? (For those not familiar the slide out floors on the m1087 store upright and hinge down when slid out.)
The folding floor just adds insult to injury we had flat floor slide outs in busses and all you could do is put a couch and a booth in the slide part then have a big empty floor once slid out ! So unless your having dance night every time you slide out not much gained !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks