• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1087

littlesfmtv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just recently picked this up for an RV conversion. Lots of plans, lots of challenges. My intent is to extend the box front and rear, which I may regret immensely once I am through planning this thing out. Engine has less than 1k hours, no abuse codes, no fault codes, and the valves were all within spec on adjustments. Mechanically, the truck is in pretty good shape. It was stored in the desert at some point, as the metal condition is generally very good, but some of the rubber and soft bits are obviously a bit dehydrated. The box is not in as good of shape as initially hoped, and someone in its life definitely did not read the TM about making sure the tracks were clear before closing. It operates fine now, but the floor is now fixed in place as opposed to folding. I see this as a benefit, but I am 6' and the head clearance on the pull-outs is now ~ a 1/2" to the top of my head. When extended, clearance is fine. The box is also not watertight, as the door seals are all pretty hard and the sealant on the structural roof joint has some light seeps as the sealant has hardened and come off in places. Good news is there is no delamination, and the box is built ridiculously stout. The truck also came with a massive 3 phase extension cord and reel that I have no use for. If interested just message me. The box is 9k pounds empty.....
20230507_150220 (1).jpg
20230514_100706 (1).jpg
20230507_150048 (2).jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just recently picked this up for an RV conversion. Lots of plans, lots of challenges. My intent is to extend the box front and rear, which I may regret immensely once I am through planning this thing out. Engine has less than 1k hours, no abuse codes, no fault codes, and the valves were all within spec on adjustments. Mechanically, the truck is in pretty good shape. It was stored in the desert at some point, as the metal condition is generally very good, but some of the rubber and soft bits are obviously a bit dehydrated. The box is not in as good of shape as initially hoped, and someone in its life definitely did not read the TM about making sure the tracks were clear before closing. It operates fine now, but the floor is now fixed in place as opposed to folding. I see this as a benefit, but I am 6' and the head clearance on the pull-outs is now ~ a 1/2" to the top of my head. When extended, clearance is fine. The box is also not watertight, as the door seals are all pretty hard and the sealant on the structural roof joint has some light seeps as the sealant has hardened and come off in places. Good news is there is no delamination, and the box is built ridiculously stout. The truck also came with a massive 3 phase extension cord and reel that I have no use for. If interested just message me. The box is 9k pounds empty..... View attachment 899814View attachment 899815View attachment 899816
Welcome to the Outfit! And congratulations on your New-To-You truck. Yessir, a little TLC and some rubber parts will make it and you happier. New cab support bushings behind the grille will improve ride quality. Going under the hood to check out V-Belts and rubber hoses will be time well spent as well...

littlesfmtv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Outfit! And congratulations on your New-To-You truck. Yessir, a little TLC and some rubber parts will make it and you happier. New cab support bushings behind the grille will improve ride quality. Going under the hood to check out V-Belts and rubber hoses will be time well spent as well...

Thank you and this forum has already helped me a great deal before I signed up. The amount of knowledge here is incredible. Also, distilling the important parts of the 3500 page TMs is like having a separate job. I've been going through all of the rubber parts now for the last several weekends, and under the hood is good to go. Hoses are still in great shape, and the belts are fine. A question I would have is if it is common for these wheels to not have bead locks? Job 1 is balancing my right front tire, and when I broke it down there was no bead lock. I didn't want to put balance beads in it since there would be nothing blocking them from the CTIS system. At 40 and 60, it hops alarmingly hard.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you and this forum has already helped me a great deal before I signed up. The amount of knowledge here is incredible. Also, distilling the important parts of the 3500 page TMs is like having a separate job. I've been going through all of the rubber parts now for the last several weekends, and under the hood is good to go. Hoses are still in great shape, and the belts are fine. A question I would have is if it is common for these wheels to not have bead locks? Job 1 is balancing my right front tire, and when I broke it down there was no bead lock. I didn't want to put balance beads in it since there would be nothing blocking them from the CTIS system. At 40 and 60, it hops alarmingly hard.
Generally these trucks have runflats. Having beadlocks is almost a requirement to use the CTIS (central tire inflation) function. Don't want the bead to accidentally pop off at 15 pounds of air or less. I can't tell for sure from your pictures - but do you have the CTIS Counterweight on the tire stud across from the valve (on the airline)? That may be a potential for your tire shake problem.

And, thinking about it - maybe the motorpool had a blown out tire that was replaced - just so the truck could be shipped out.
Is that Right Front different from all the others?

littlesfmtv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally these trucks have runflats. Having beadlocks is almost a requirement to use the CTIS (central tire inflation) function. Don't want the bead to accidentally pop off at 15 pounds of air or less. I can't tell for sure from your pictures - but do you have the CTIS Counterweight on the tire stud across from the valve (on the airline)? That may be a potential for your tire shake problem.

And, thinking about it - maybe the motorpool had a blown out tire that was replaced - just so the truck could be shipped out.
Is that Right Front different from all the others?

I am not sure about the other wheels, the only one I have broken down is this one. I am going to begin breaking down all of the others next week. No counterweights noticed. I was told by one individual that the hardware on the bead lock is supposed to go opposite the CTIS valve in the wheel and thought maybe since these are engineered for this by design it was the reason the balance is out. The other discovery was whomever put this wheel on last needs a training session on not to use an impact on a banjo bolt. The state of the CTIS washers were alarming. I also forgot I had a Swench 1000 from when I worked in aviation, and after giving myself a hernia with a breaker bar on the first lug I had an epiphany that I actually had a reason to use that thing after it sat in the bottom drawer of a toolbox for years.
20230611_132948.jpg
20230611_125647.jpg
20230611_134535.jpg
20230611_100805.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am not sure about the other wheels, the only one I have broken down is this one. I am going to begin breaking down all of the others next week. No counterweights noticed. I was told by one individual that the hardware on the bead lock is supposed to go opposite the CTIS valve in the wheel and thought maybe since these are engineered for this by design it was the reason the balance is out. The other discovery was whomever put this wheel on last needs a training session on not to use an impact on a banjo bolt. The state of the CTIS washers were alarming. I also forgot I had a Swench 1000 from when I worked in aviation, and after giving myself a hernia with a breaker bar on the first lug I had an epiphany that I actually had a reason to use that thing after it sat in the bottom drawer of a toolbox for years. View attachment 899822View attachment 899823View attachment 899824View attachment 899825
Nice to have the right tool for the job!
The counterweight would be across from that block of metal where the the CTIS bolts to the rim with those tiny screws.

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cast Iron with a hole in the middle of it, On the wheel stud.
Do you have a picture of one of these? I’ve never heard of it nor is it mentioned in the TMs that I used when I did my tires. I have a high speed imbalance that I wonder if it could be related.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a picture of one of these? I’ve never heard of it nor is it mentioned in the TMs that I used when I did my tires. I have a high speed imbalance that I wonder if it could be related.
Yeah, what he said! ^

The only thing that I’ve seen or read is that when you have bead locks that you offset the beads lock bolts and connectors 180 degrees from the CTIS valve.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a similar shake that I was wondering about, and I don't have any of the mentioned counter balancers on any wheel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks