• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 camper conversion

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you use for adhesive/sealant on the ceiling wood?
For better or worse, Liquid Nails Fuze It.

Seemed to rate well on the internet and a few of the videos I watched (independent ones). I did screw it to the metal as well, so it's not just adhesive holding it together.

I did a trial of it with the ACP and it held well enough that I trust it for the paneling as well, although I will use a combination of some mechanical fasteners as well. With the surface texture of the wood and paint, I think there'll be no problem with it holding the plywood. It did an excellent job of bonding the alu as well.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Seemed to rate well on the internet and a few of the videos I watched (independent ones). I did screw it to the metal as well, so it's not just adhesive holding it together.

I did a trial of it with the ACP and it held well enough that I trust it for the paneling as well, although I will use a combination of some mechanical fasteners as well. With the surface texture of the wood and paint, I think there'll be no problem with it holding the plywood. It did an excellent job of bonding the alu as well.
I used fuse it a lot on my build. Three years later and two trips across America, sometimes on rough roads, and no failures. It seams to work just as well in cold temperatures. I highly recommend this stuff.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Now is the plywood on the roof or inside on the ceiling ? either way while you have accsess to both sides of the plywood pick up a couple gallons of clear polyurethane and one med coat thru a spay gun to seal the wood so it wont absorb moisture ever the last thing you want is black mold growing in those walls then in your lungs ! Or sprayfoam the inner walls between the frame post . And when you get around to sticking the outer panels look into tubes of windsheild urethane adhesive its stupid strong but it will flex without cracking in glue joints .

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used fuse it a lot on my build. Three years later and... no failures.... I highly recommend this stuff.
That is excellent to hear. I researched it, but good to hear positive feedback using the product in the same situation.

Now is the plywood on the roof or inside on the ceiling ?

...Or sprayfoam the inner walls between the frame post...

...And when you get around to sticking the outer panels look into tubes of windsheild urethane adhesive...
Ply is internal to the skin. I've been leaning toward the spray foam for the reasons you allude to, as well as the mechanical stiffness due to the bonded nature of the foam's application.

Good call on windshield adhesive for the other panels as well. I have installed a windshield and remember it being robust stuff but it had slipped off my radar. Seems like a great application.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is excellent to hear. I researched it, but good to hear positive feedback using the product in the same situation.

Ply is internal to the skin. I've been leaning toward the spray foam for the reasons you allude to, as well as the mechanical stiffness due to the bonded nature of the foam's application.

Good call on windshield adhesive for the other panels as well. I have installed a windshield and remember it being robust stuff but it had slipped off my radar. Seems like a great application.
It seems better than sicaflex ! Prevost uses sicaflex to glue the heavy fiberglass upper panels between side windows on the entertainer/motorhomes that doesnt get windows all the way down the sides like seat buses . It would never fail if you left the bus running while while i washed the outside you would see the bubbles pushing out around the panels no one could ever tell us if it was the flexing of the bus or if when you ran the slide outs in you had to make sure you had a window open or you could blow one of the windows out for all the cubic feet of air has no where to go when compressed might have poped those panels loose but some of the bus companies would use the winshield urethane to stick the panels back on with great success .

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got one you'd recommend? A quick search or two gets me to some 3M products:

Urethane windshield adhesive - https://www.amazon.com/3M-08693-Urethane-Windshield-Cartridge/dp/B000RW1XCK
A faster curing version of above - https://www.amazon.com/3M-08690-Glass-Urethane-Cartridge/dp/B0038D8OSG

Any direct experience with any of them?
The brand i used i was buying from a local automotive paint store and i just got off the phone with him and he saleing a differant brand now and for the life of me i cant remember the brand i used and im almost positive i dont have a tube left to get the name off of but i feel sure anything 3m puts their name on will be good stuff and i was giving like $14 a tube

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The brand i used i was buying from a local automotive paint store and i just got off the phone with him and he saleing a differant brand now and for the life of me i cant remember the brand i used and im almost positive i dont have a tube left to get the name off of but i feel sure anything 3m puts their name on will be good stuff and i was giving like $14 a tube
3M for whatever reason seems to have managed to avoid stupidity in their product lines. Unrelated to building a habitat or sealing in windows - the pressure sensitive vinyl that 3M makes lasts twice as long as any other product on the market. AND their stuff is still great many years after their warranty (longest in the industry) has since expired.

If you have a choice between 3M and something else, buy whatever 3M has. You won't be disappointed.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3M for whatever reason seems to have managed to avoid stupidity in their product lines. Unrelated to building a habitat or sealing in windows - the pressure sensitive vinyl that 3M makes lasts twice as long as any other product on the market. AND their stuff is still great many years after their warranty (longest in the industry) has since expired.

If you have a choice between 3M and something else, buy whatever 3M has. You won't be disappointed.
Yea what he said !!!!!!!!!!!

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I know about 3M... I have a boat and am familiar with their 4000 and 5200 line of adhesives. They are the mother of all adhesives. I've had to remove a component which was 5200'd to some fiberglass and ended up pulling off gelcoat from the glass, not the adhesive from the component/surface.

The 4000 series is bomb-proof. The 5200 series is nuke-proof!

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And walls and a floor:

I need to do a few things to the chassis but it's about time to reunite the two of them. The panels in the lower tankage area will be fit up after it's back on the chassis and the remaining panels will be fit up after the interior is mostly built out.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ckouba,
Just to give you a point of reference. It took me a little over two years to build out my M934. I had some help with a lot of it. I did the finish work and mechanicals by myself. I didn't have to build the box. Based on what I started with and what you are doing from the ground up, I'd say you are making very good progress. I'm willing to bet there days you don't feel that way. Press on, you're doing a huge project in a confined area. Projects like this test our patients! It's looking good to me. ;)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ckouba,
Just to give you a point of reference. It took me a little over two years to build out my M934. I had some help with a lot of it. I did the finish work and mechanicals by myself. I didn't have to build the box. Based on what I started with and what you are doing from the ground up, I'd say you are making very good progress. I'm willing to bet there days you don't feel that way. Press on, you're doing a huge project in a confined area. Projects like this test our patients! It's looking good to me. ;)
That is dead on rite ! And hes working outside in the driveway like i had to with no help ! Give us a shop with a table saw set up like the pros use with huge table and spray booths for paint and glue and do upholstery table we would be rich lol

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. No need for the pep talk now though... As you can see, I am in the midst of massive visible progress.

I was a little frustrated earlier but that frustration is long gone. Prepping it for blast and paint was mind-numbing. I worked for 3-4 weeks with no significant visible changes. Felt like I was on an endless carousel... That feeling is long gone now, and I can see a day very soon where my wife and I go take it out for a weekend trip. It won't be anywhere near finished, but it will be weather tight and WAY more spacious than our cargo van camper. And it will only get better as I get it more and more finished.

In more news, we had a beautiful day here today, which allowed me to strip down the chassis, clean up the areas on the chassis which needed to be painted, get paint on them, and get things reassembled. I couldn't have asked for a more convenient day. The items which I could remove to strip and paint (i.e., not part of the chassis) remain removed and should get a coat of paint tomorrow, and if all goes well, the chassis will get buttoned back up on Weds.

I am out of town for the end of the week but I will soon be ordering the adhesive and seam capping supplies so I will have all the material on hand once I get the box on the chassis.

Exciting times indeed!!

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another good day here- got the trans cooler mounts out, cleaned off, painted, and reinstalled with the cooler, plus wired in the fans, all after a day's work and without getting rained on ('cause the chassis is out in the open with the camper occupying the carport). That's two days in a row!

At this point, I think it's ready enough to put the two back together, but there is a paneling task I need to do before completing the reassembly. I need to rest the forward end of the box on the chassis while I pull off the legs to finish paneling the forward end of the floor. At that point I think I am clear to reassemble.

Unfortunately, that will probably be next week at this point. Ugh. Work.....

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TOUCHDOWN!!!!

Ran out of time to actually bolt/spring it in place, but it is down on the chassis and actually lined up with the mount plates.

There is still a bit of work to do- it's technically still on the jacks/jackstands, as well to finish the paneling, but it feels pretty sweet to get it over the chassis and in place to bolt together. It finally feels like it's really going to happen now and that I'm not just making a jungle gym in the carport!

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many months in the making, Elvis has left the building....

As promised, still a bit of paneling to close out the rear, need to get the springs installed for the subframe (just bolted together in the pics), need to cut the window/roof hatch apertures and install them, need to complete all the exterior seamwork, build out the floor, walls, and roof, install all the systems, and then finish out the interior.... Should be ready by Thanksgiving! (<-- joke)

Seriously though, very(!!!) exciting day for me.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am floored with my progress!!

Thinking about a side hustle renting it out as a mobile dance hall. It's HUGE!

The punchlist before we can "use" it:
  • panel in the back
  • seal up stairwell
  • install accordion seal or at least the camper side cover plate over the passthrough
  • make a motor/trans hatch cover

That should actually get us into the woods. With a little more time, should be able to pull that off before the end of the year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks