• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 INFO Needed Frame Lenght for Flat bed on Fitth wheel Tractor?

hokanson86

Hey guys it looks like there is a lot of good info on here but im not finding one thing im looking for. Im wanting to know what is the length of frame area behind the Trans cooler on a M1088 with a fifth wheel hitch.. Im looking at getting a M1088 and taking the hitch off and making it into a flat bed to haul my 1969 bronco So im needing about 14Ft of space if any one has one that they could measure that would be awesome thanks guys

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have one to measure, but I can tell you that the bed on an M1078 LMTV is 12.5' long, and on the an M1083 MTV it's 14.5'. I'm guessing the M1088 will be shorter.

hokanson86

Yeah just by looking at them in pictures I would guses about 12 but I guses if I needed to I could extend it a few feet im really wanting to have 16Foot flat bed

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frame rails on a M1088 are 8 1/2" shorter than a M1083. Find someone parting out a M1083 and get the trans cooler along with the bed, relocate the new trans cooler to between the frame rails where it is on the M1083's and use the full 14.5' bed. If they are fully parting out the truck, you can get the rear light brackets, sway bar mounts, and chop the rear frame rails to extend yours. If you want a 16' bed, buy longer segments of the frame rails along with everything else and either buy or fab a 16' bed or extend the 14.5' bed.

For me, I just bought a wrecked M1083A1 and pulled all the pieces off of it to convert my M1088A1 into a heavy duty M1083A1

imagejpeg_0 (3).jpgimagejpeg_0 (5).jpgDSCN2654[1].JPG

Last edited:

hokanson86

Thanks for all the info guys im still on the hunt for the right 1088 for now wanting a 99 or newer and im kind of thinking ill do the bed right over the frame and then maybe do a hydraulic sliding extension to get me the length I want but still be compact when daily driving. Just a thought as of right now

flatwerx

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frame rails on a M1088 are 8 1/2" shorter than a M1083. Find someone parting out a M1083 and get the trans cooler along with the bed, relocate the new trans cooler to between the frame rails where it is on the M1083's and use the full 14.5' bed. If they are fully parting out the truck, you can get the rear light brackets, sway bar mounts, and chop the rear frame rails to extend yours. If you want a 16' bed, buy longer segments of the frame rails along with everything else and either buy or fab a 16' bed or extend the 14.5' bed.

For me, I just bought a wrecked M1083A1 and pulled all the pieces off of it to convert my M1088A1 into a heavy duty M1083A1

View attachment 732255View attachment 732256View attachment 732262
@MGKMartin I know this was a long time ago (didn't want to start a new thread and I can't message you for some reason) but do you have a build thread or any info on doing this.
Was it pretty straight forward?
I don't know the terminology but the area behind the spare tire that looks like a deck, removing all of that and mounting the bed, was it a pretty simple process?
I want a bed as well to mount a S-280 shelter but still able to remove it to use the bed when needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks