• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 roll-off truck?

Camoking123

So i wanna try buying either a m45 or M1088 army truck (or something similar) and put about a 16’ roll off bed on it and use it like a all purpose utility truck. And maybe earn a little money renting out dumpsters. Any ideas on whats the best way to do it?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you mean an M54?

Also, I would imagine the setup (roll off bed, clamp system, rated winch etc) may be cost prohibitive. You probably would do better financially to invest in a roll off truck. 🤷‍♂️

Camoking123

is the m45 or m54 a 5 ton? Also I just wanted to see if you could even use a 5 or 10 ton truck as a roll off truck. if I ever get around to doing it I would have to wait till I’m not poor lol.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So i wanna try buying either a m45 or M1088 army truck (or something similar) and put about a 16’ roll off bed on it and use it like a all purpose utility truck. And maybe earn a little money renting out dumpsters. Any ideas on whats the best way to do it?
The M1088 is a 6x6 tractor that you could remove the 5th Wheel from and remove all the other excess baggage from. By default they have no winch and even if they do it is a side-saddle SRW (Self Recovery Winch). You are going to work hard to get those bolts off the frame. They do not hack off with an impact wrench. Plan on cutting or splitting every nut that you remove. The 5th wheel on the M1088 is something you can sell along with the ramps on behind. More nuts to split... Again, you are going to work hard here. Even with a red wrench (torch).

Best thing would be for you to find a rollback body to mount on the truck frame. You can lift stuff, drag stuff, move cars and light trucks. A rollback wrecker bed will have a hydraulic winch on it. Can't swear to it, but I would think you could haul construction dumpsters with a truck configured that way. Again, YOU WILL WORK here too because a rollback isn't the same as a dumpster hauling body. The work comes in with lashing the dumpster to the rollback.

Then the really difficult part: Finding the PTO and Hydraulic Pump to drive the rollback body. Not incredibly difficult, but you need to affix the pto to the Allison transmission, then attach the hydraulics to that and plumb everything in place.

---

I don't want to discourage you from having a retired military vehicle, but I wonder if it wouldn't cost you a lot less to buy an old GMC, Chevrolet, or Ford. One that is already configured to do the job you want to do.

I have a friend with an old Ford F700 with a Cummins and a 5 speed manual transmission. His is configured as a rollback. Big heavy steel bed and he hauls 25 to 30 thousand pound loads with it. AND every now and again, he drags an old 24ft box body up on to the rollback when he needs to move small parts on pallets.

---

Not trying to bust your bubble. Just trying to offer ideas on how to get what you want done for less $$.

Camoking123

The M1088 is a 6x6 tractor that you could remove the 5th Wheel from and remove all the other excess baggage from. By default they have no winch and even if they do it is a side-saddle SRW (Self Recovery Winch). You are going to work hard to get those bolts off the frame. They do not hack off with an impact wrench. Plan on cutting or splitting every nut that you remove. The 5th wheel on the M1088 is something you can sell along with the ramps on behind. More nuts to split... Again, you are going to work hard here. Even with a red wrench (torch).

Best thing would be for you to find a rollback body to mount on the truck frame. You can lift stuff, drag stuff, move cars and light trucks. A rollback wrecker bed will have a hydraulic winch on it. Can't swear to it, but I would think you could haul construction dumpsters with a truck configured that way. Again, YOU WILL WORK here too because a rollback isn't the same as a dumpster hauling body. The work comes in with lashing the dumpster to the rollback.

Then the really difficult part: Finding the PTO and Hydraulic Pump to drive the rollback body. Not incredibly difficult, but you need to affix the pto to the Allison transmission, then attach the hydraulics to that and plumb everything in place.

---

I don't want to discourage you from having a retired military vehicle, but I wonder if it wouldn't cost you a lot less to buy an old GMC, Chevrolet, or Ford. One that is already configured to do the job you want to do.

I have a friend with an old Ford F700 with a Cummins and a 5 speed manual transmission. His is configured as a rollback. Big heavy steel bed and he hauls 25 to 30 thousand pound loads with it. AND every now and again, he drags an old 24ft box body up on to the rollback when he needs to move small parts on pallets.

---

Not trying to bust your bubble. Just trying to offer ideas on how to get what you want done for less $$.
yeah. I was thinking about doing the same thing to a ford F600 or bigger but I wasn’t sure if this would be cheaper since a FMTV from govplanet is about 4-5k. It would be a LOT of work but it would be some cool as a all round work truck and maybe good enough for a truck show. Also it would be awesome to have and I’m sure the 6x6 and CTIS would come in handy LOL.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
yeah. I was thinking about doing the same thing to a ford F600 or bigger but I wasn’t sure if this would be cheaper since a FMTV from govplanet is about 4-5k. It would be a LOT of work but it would be some cool as a all round work truck and maybe good enough for a truck show. Also it would be awesome to have and I’m sure the 6x6 and CTIS would come in handy LOL.
4 to 5k plus 15 percent. Plus whatever else it needs, probably driveline work at the minimum and tires

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I didnt know that. Thanks! Also where do you find those?
Simp5782 is a good source for tires on this side of the country.

I would guess the 4 to 5k price plus fees on the M1088 would be double or more by the time you did what needs to be done. Just changing the fluids and filters, changing seals and making any obvious minor repairs would be several grand. That assumes that the engine, transmission and axles are in working order. CTIS is a wonderful thing. Some work perfectly. Some are money pits. You could easily spend $500 replacing the rubber hoses on the wheels and the rubber diaphragms. That assumes that the CTIS controller is good, otherwise add another $500.

Like I said, don't let me talk you out of it, but there are money pits that you could fall in - very easily.

Post #7 above has a link to a guy who has already built what you are looking to do.
It might be worth seeing what his asking price is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks