• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 tractor with 5th wheel removed pics

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There has been talk of repurposing lmtv tractors for other use. Here are some pics with the 5th wheel and mount plate removed. You can see the rear shock upper mounts are on the back ramps and there is a plate on each side of the frame coming up a bit. Once could build up a few inches with some metal stock and have a flat space to mount tanks, equipment or a bed though.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Lmtv772

Banned
I didn't know there was an interest, others I would have posted photo's of the day I removed the 5th wheel of our parts M1088 MTV

Terrh

It looks like the tractor is missing the "double" part of the frame that the LMTV's w/ bed have. I bet if you unbolted those ramps, a regular LMTV bed w/ its framerails would bolt right up. It wouldn't surprise me if the LMTV trailer bed is the same and bolted up too.

Fastest picture I could find to show what I mean:

doubleframe.jpg

LFGeorge

It looks like the shock mounts are a little above the frame rail too. Wonder if they can be lowered a bit without a major project? Probably easier to just raise the floor above these and the fifth wheel mounting angles. The ramps are attached with something like a huck bolt. They will have to be cut off to get the ramps out. Biggest issue in my mind right now is the tranny cooler. This has got to go, either under the rail or gone completely. Any suggestions? Also planning to relocate the spare tire rack.

jcee

Morning Suprman. The next time you walk by this 1088 would you take a minute and measure the width of the frame? I've been told the FMTV is 37" outside to outside and I want to compare the two. I started a thread some time ago about turning an FMTV/LMTV into an off road RV but have been also looking at using a 1088 because of the six wheel advantage, tranny cooler ( which would be relocated ) and added stability. The pic's with the 5th wheel removed are great. Do you plan on removing the platforms also? Thanks.

I'm planning on using a 16'l x 8'w x 7'6" high dry van cargo box as the camper and I've found from sellers of them the frames vary greatly in width. As mentioned in a post on this thread, the shock mounts may be an issue. I'm very much in the planning stages but trying to have all the ducks in a row once the project starts.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think they are all 36 1/2 I have measured it in the past. Tractors make
good parts trucks for me. Trans cooler can go under the bed or deck its like that in the 6x6 cargo trucks. I just got a cheap tractor in. Needs some tlc but runs and drives.

LFGeorge

Mine measures 34.5 inches from frame channel to channel. Add for reinforcing plates as you wish.
I think the trans cooler is bigger on the tractor, with two fans. Got some nasty huck bolts on the ramps. Anyone know an easy way to get them off?

jcee

Like every other topic on SS I googled this to get info. There's a few ways to remove Huck bolts. The biggest hassle is accessibility. Cutting the swedged collar will release it from the bolt. Some like the above post use a cutting wheel on a grinder, another way is to drill then split them with a chisel and by far the easiest is the tool that goes on a air/hydraulic rivet gun that splits it. Once split it can easily be taken off and the bolt is free. All caution using a cutting torch because of the possibility of damage to surrounding plates or fittings. Tool Discounters has the gun for $281.00.

I'm only passing on what I found. Have yet to do it myself.

Watch the associated videos. Like I say, getting to them may be the biggest battle.

Hey, it's on the internet so it has to be true. Right?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a good running m1083 winch truck. Just waiting on GP for a title. Bed comes off easy and you could recoup some funds by selling the bed. Nice to have the 2 way winch setup they don't come along too often.

LFGeorge

I had figured I would try the grinder first. Too bad I didn't consider which platform might be best to start with. I didn't know this very helpful group existed til after I jumped in.
I do have a fairly decent tractor with very few issues. 98 model, low miles, no damage, no rust, 2013 rubber. Only three problems I've noticed, cab lock isn't locking, no low beam lights, no spare tire. Pretty minor stuff.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks