• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1088

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The op asked,
hello all I am looking at a m1088 are they a good rig ?
I wonder what his intentions with it are.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it's over sensitive at all. I'd just like to see buy/sell opinions from those that actually own or work on them. Regurgitated information from reading a few threads of other people is not an opinion. Especially when given in sweeping terms. Less people want them the cheaper I can buy them.

MKCoen I appreciate your input. Sure sucks that all that happened. But it doesn't happen to everyone that's for sure.
I understand where you're coming from but it didn't seem porky was being antagonistic but he sure got responses like he was intentionally trying to start something. I'm just tired of everyone looking for a reason to be outraged.

I guess my point wasn't entirely clear with the examples of what happened with my truck. I'm not saying all the FMTVs break down any more than I was trying to say none of the deuces or 923s break down just that there's a big difference in the amount of small things that can go wrong that lead to bigger consequences. Back when deuces were selling for $500 a pop I flipped 15 or 20 of them. Every one was able to be driven home with less than 30 minutes of work, typically just changing the batteries. The complexity of the newer trucks just lends itself to a higher level of work to get the same result (a driving truck) compared with the older vehicles. It's no different than comparing a '55 Chevy to a '95 Chevy. On the 50's era stuff as long as you had fuel, air, spark and the brakes worked you could drive it. Not so much with anything after the mid-70s.

lrholding

Purchased a 1997, m1078 the end of January. I've put 900 miles on it to date. We use it to and from farm, on farm and as a large "tool box". I had to replace the oil cooler base, which developed a hairline crack that leaked oil as the engine warmed up. Looked like a freak mfg. defect. $450 parts from CAT and i did it myself. TMs helped. CTIS is acting whacky, still troubleshooting.

Appears that the major components had been replaced by the government in 2010.

I love the truck for what we use it for. Time will tell if I continue to love it.

PJ

Camel Driver

hello all I am looking at a m1088 are they a good rig ?
I think the better question would be........Are YOU a good match for the truck? Any older vehicle can be a real PITA when things go wrong. Even the simple stuff can be a disaster if you don't have the skills to fix things yourself. I am in the process of buying an M1083 myself. And I know I will have to invest a LOT of time and effort into it. And quite a bit of money. Luckily, I have a lot of mechanical knowledge, a very big tool kit and, I'm not afraid to do any repairs myself.

Not tryin' to talk you out of buying one, they are very cool! But, all of the opinions here don't mean a thing if you are not being honest with yourself and get in over your head.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its amazing how when someone's opinion differs folks jump on the band wagon.

If Porky didn't mention the issues that have been posted here on our site, the OP might believe the trucks are indestructable and run on unicorn farts.

Some folks just don't have the skills to work on 12/24v combination systems or complicated air brake systems. No other info was asked except what is your opinion. If you don't like what someone says, WHO CARES.

I have older trucks cause I know them inside and out. Yes I fix the newer stuff and get paid to do it. No, I don't own one and don't plan on it.

You guys need to put your big girl panties on and relax a bit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fwiw, the OP has not been back since the day he posted this thread.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it's over sensitive at all. I'd just like to see buy/sell opinions from those that actually own or work on them. Regurgitated information from reading a few threads of other people is not an opinion. Especially when given in sweeping terms. Less people want them the cheaper I can buy them.

MKCoen I appreciate your input. Sure sucks that all that happened. But it doesn't happen to everyone that's for sure.
From the looks of your classified ads you been dragging a bunch of junkers home , if they are such a great truck it don't seem like there would be that great of demand for high dollar used parts.

You have no idea what I have worked or work on your just ASSuming , gimmpy's post pretty much nailed what you need to do . It's pretty clear in your mind your opinion is the only one that matters .

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its amazing how when someone's opinion differs folks jump on the band wagon.
It's not "jumping on the bandwagon", it's a rebuttal to his comments. I can turn your statement around and say that if nobody argued against what Porky said the original poster might think every FMTV has never managed to be driven off the lot it was built on.

All the old trucks (e.g. FMTVs, M35, M9xx, etc.) are fairly equal in my eye. The military has owned hundreds of thousands of them, they live out long lives, and they get a little more reliable but complex with each generation.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fwiw, the OP has not been back since the day he posted this thread.
I wonder why?
"I want it (the answer) and I want it now...."

Guy joins SS at 6:00 am (rules? who cares...); immediately posts his question; no response so 25 min later he starts a second thread - same topic. (later that morning I merged both threads) Guy vanished, only one minute after his second post...

I think we have heard enough opinions already, from both sides... there's really nothing that we didn't know already.
Closing this thread now.

To the OP: please contact our staff if you desired to post anything else, here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks