• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088A0 Pintle Rating

Moderators, I did post this question in the trailer section under an old thread…I can delete that one if I violated a policy.

I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer for myself.

Here it goes: I just bought an FMTV (M1088A0) and I need a trailer for it. I have access to an M322 at a cheap price but I am concerned about the pintle rating. The TM says 21K max for the tractors pintle, but I see that older 5 tons have two pintle weights listed...highway and offroad. The TM for my vehicle lists one and pales in comparison to the older 5 ton highway rating.

My question: what is the weight capability for the FMTV (M1088A0)? I need highway, not offroad. I am replying to your post because you seem to have experience in this subject area.

Thanks much.

John

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Moderators, I did post this question in the trailer section under an old thread…I can delete that one if I violated a policy.

I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer for myself.

Here it goes: I just bought an FMTV (M1088A0) and I need a trailer for it. I have access to an M322 at a cheap price but I am concerned about the pintle rating. The TM says 21K max for the tractors pintle, but I see that older 5 tons have two pintle weights listed...highway and offroad. The TM for my vehicle lists one and pales in comparison to the older 5 ton highway rating.

My question: what is the weight capability for the FMTV (M1088A0)? I need highway, not offroad. I am replying to your post because you seem to have experience in this subject area.

Thanks much.

John
That 1088 isn't going to like the m322. It's too heavy for the truck especially in any mountainous terrain. Especially once you put something on it. It's designed to go behind a 400hp MTVR the C12 is a hass over the 3116 all day.

The shank of the pintle is rated for 100k lbs. It is the reinforcements of the frame/hitch that limit it to 21k. The M939 are rated at 15k towed load except for wreckers which are rated at 20k. The manufacturer lists the 5ton hitch at 50tons as well. I've hauled 52,000lb on the pintle of a 5ton.

Might be smarter to use the 1088 with an 870/403lF

Last edited:
That 1088 isn't going to like the m322. It's too heavy for the truck especially in any mountainous terrain. Especially once you put something on it. It's designed to go behind a 400hp MTVR the C12 is a hass over the 3116 all day.

The shank of the pintle is rated for 100k lbs. It is the reinforcements of the frame/hitch that limit it to 21k. The M939 are rated at 15k towed load except for wreckers which are rated at 20k. The manufacturer lists the 5ton hitch at 50tons as well. I've hauled 52,000lb on the pintle of a 5ton.

Might be smarter to use the 1088 with an 870/403lF
One thing, for sure, that I appreciate is good advice...even if it isn't want I want to hear. I was hoping the M322 would be a fit due to how cheaply I would get it for.

My towing needs are simple, I need to tow a skid steer at 10.5K lbs and a mulcher at just under 3k lbs. Am I correct to assume you'd suggest a newer, non-military trailer and make mods to the tractor to tow it? Specifically, I would address the wiring for brakes and adding a receiver hitch? I even thought about removing the 5th wheel and adding a smaller bed...maybe for the mulcher.

Thanks again.

John

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
One thing, for sure, that I appreciate is good advice...even if it isn't want I want to hear. I was hoping the M322 would be a fit due to how cheaply I would get it for.

My towing needs are simple, I need to tow a skid steer at 10.5K lbs and a mulcher at just under 3k lbs. Am I correct to assume you'd suggest a newer, non-military trailer and make mods to the tractor to tow it? Specifically, I would address the wiring for brakes and adding a receiver hitch? I even thought about removing the 5th wheel and adding a smaller bed...maybe for the mulcher.

Thanks again.

John
The MTO-16 is the trailer the military used for skid steers and smaller equipment. 16000lb rated trailer. @4XDesign had one for sale awhile back. He may still have it.

The m322 if you haven't been up next to one is a beast of a trailer. 13k empty 4ft high deck. I've had one, I did catch the whole rear end on fire, rolled it over, twice, flip it back over and nothing was wrong with it. This was all to the same trailer. The 1088 not having ABS is also a deal killer on the 1088. The trailers tires lockup in a heartbeat when empty and they will come around on the truck.

Any civilian tag trailer will work, especially a tilt deck. Most civilian heavy trailers are going to have a 7way round plug that all commercial vehicles use and the 1088 has.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks