• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088A1 - Crank , No start

98BlackHMC4

Hey All,

Im having some issues with my 1088A1.
Its run before, I've put over 100 miles on it. Replaced parts etc.

Ive been through the ringer with paperwork on it and have recently been waiting months for a replacement title. Finally receive papers and go to start it with no luck.

In the past this truck has fired up right away, no issues.
There was one time it got hot from throwing the water pump belt, But it has been run multiple times after that.

Charged batteries - Supplemented with 24V jump pack
dash shows 23ish volts before cranking - jump box is showing around 24.X @ source (batteries)
Check transmission light on dash is illuminated
getting oil pressure on gauge and low pressure light goes off while cranking
- No start, not even a hint of it while cranking. not smelling anything out of the tail pipe

i primed the filter element until the hand pump was firm and i had stuff hissing out of it - tightened it by hand and lowered the cab to try again

Im concerned because if i do a lamp test i see the whole dash illuminate - Aside from that i do not see the check engine light (i assume this should be illuminated when power is on to the truck? )

Looking for suggestions -

Thanks,
J

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2003 M1078A1 did that and it ended up being the Caterpillar ECM/ engine control module died. They say there is a small battery in the ECM and when that finally dies the whole ECM dies with it. It cost me $2,500 for a new ECM and to have caterpillar reprogram it. Luckily I had my vehicle in there shop prior and they had my file in there system. I also had them increase the HP to 330 HP, program the cruise control after I installed a switch, they change the speedometer settings to match the high speed gears. All said and done it runs ten times better.

98BlackHMC4

dang, that's not encouraging !! ha, stuff happens, hoping its not that

I just went out and verified i have return fuel at the tank - so we have flow. Transmission light still illuminates on dash upon power. However, No CEL at all during attempts to start unless i do a lamp test

in regards to the "stuff hissing out" - I had mentioned the element was a little loose - guessing it sitting being unused in arizona not under pressure allowed the seals or gaskets to relax some. not a big deal.

Ronmar

Well if it was the primary filter, it would cause running issues, as if it can hiss out, it can hiss in when the lift pump in the High Pressure Oil Pump puts it under vacume…

sounds like you will need to engage a cat tech with the computer to try and talk to the darn thing. I would first make sure that it has power to the ECU though. They used an inline power filter assembly and those are know to go bad and are usually bypassed down at the ECU…

Reworked LMTV

My 2003 M1078A1 did that and it ended up being the Caterpillar ECM/ engine control module died. They say there is a small battery in the ECM and when that finally dies the whole ECM dies with it. It cost me $2,500 for a new ECM and to have caterpillar reprogram it. Luckily I had my vehicle in there shop prior and they had my file in there system. I also had them increase the HP to 330 HP, program the cruise control after I installed a switch, they change the speedometer settings to match the high speed gears. All said and done it runs ten times better.
Yikes $2500

98BlackHMC4

Year later - Update

Hey All - Crank No Start - Looking for some help
2000 Stewart M1088A1
7JZ01194 - Engine Serial #

Previously truck ran fine
Parked for a few months and returned (NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT) upon powering up the machine

• Truck does not have start inhibit switch - Also verified circuit by replacing Circuit breaker with Blade fuse

Got ECM rebuilt and now have (Check Engine) Light while machine is powered up electrically (Assuming they have flashed it with the correct file)

Truck just cranks and cranks - I get oil pressure on the dash within a few seconds

Things I've verified
  • Batteries charged, Supplemented with commercial dual 24v battery jump pack, cables tight - proper cable orientation
  • Verified CB42 (Replaced with blade fuse)
  • Truck does not have CB60 (that i can find - believe this is normally in the battery box on 2000 MY A1 M1088)
  • Primed fuel system with hand pump, Removed return line to tank - cranked engine, some fuel came out. hand primed again after reconnecting system (only took a few pumps before firm)
  • Unplugged the oil pressure sensor on the side of the cylinder head / valve cover - Was reading on RV forums that this would cause extended crank but ultimately start the engine - No luck after 20 seconds of cranking after previous steps

Still no luck,

Anyone have a suggestion of where to go next with this? ECM pinout? Quicker way to test HEUI system is operating?

Thank you in advance
James

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Troubleshooting a computer controlled engine without consulting the computer is an exercise in madness and futility. Get a J1708 / J1939 interface and actually find out what the computer wants to get the engine running.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking you should see a check light briefly opon powerup. It Not being there is probably not a good thing...
His updated post from today says he has a CEL when powered up.

Doesn't meant the ECM was correctly programmed, but this is why I encourage people to get a diagnostic tool. There's so much about how these trucks are setup that is not understood by heavy equipment shops and sending an ECM out to someplace to be "rebuilt" etc is not only expensive but they usually don't program them correctly for speedometer pulse per mile, and often have other settings incorrect that cause issues even if it runs.

98BlackHMC4

Sounds good. I can agree im probably past the point of field quick Diagnosis -

Ive been recommended to this J1708 / J1939 and also Cat ET -
Does anyone have a suggestion in regards to which software is best? also where to source?

I come from automotive, and there are many imposter programmers, controllers, data loggers etc that are all common cased copies from CHINA......they usually do about 75% of the needed functions, want to avoid this happening with the M1088A1 (3126) when purchasing diag stuff.

Thank you for the replies and hope to get this sorted soon.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
J1708/J1939 is the interface protocol. It's the heavy duty equivalent to "OBD-II", etc that you probably know from your automotive background. CAT ET is Caterpillars official diagnostic and programming software but for simply pulling codes you don't actually need that. What you want for a laptop interface is a Dearborn Protocol Adapter (DPA) either a DPA-III or a DPA-IV. I prefer the DPA-III for our trucks but they need a laptop with a serial port ideally. The DPA-IV is USB.

Either way the software for both is free from Dearborn's web site and includes a handy utility that will query codes and live data from all the computers on the truck without having the specific software for each. If you are looking for a solution that has all the individual software and is ready to go with a laptop and wireless adapter (instead of the DPA which is wired) hit me up via PM. I can supply that and also can do programming of the CAT ECM, CTIS module, etc.

Bryteayes

J1708/J1939 is the interface protocol. It's the heavy duty equivalent to "OBD-II", etc that you probably know from your automotive background. CAT ET is Caterpillars official diagnostic and programming software but for simply pulling codes you don't actually need that. What you want for a laptop interface is a Dearborn Protocol Adapter (DPA) either a DPA-III or a DPA-IV. I prefer the DPA-III for our trucks but they need a laptop with a serial port ideally. The DPA-IV is USB.

Either way the software for both is free from Dearborn's web site and includes a handy utility that will query codes and live data from all the computers on the truck without having the specific software for each. If you are looking for a solution that has all the individual software and is ready to go with a laptop and wireless adapter (instead of the DPA which is wired) hit me up via PM. I can supply that and also can do programming of the CAT ECM, CTIS module, etc.
Will it work with a MAC / iPad?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks