• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1089 Mirror Upgrade

h1x2

Got the new mirrors installed today while waiting for some transmission parts to show up. Huge upgrade over the stock junk. Cut out and powder coated some 1/4” aluminum plate to stiffen the door. Adding some marker lights and turn signals to them this weekend. 6B946BD4-5E6B-4273-B4E3-298B2C3789CF.jpeg16D6C0E4-DA9A-48F4-8A0D-C4239EEA69C8.jpeg3038CA9F-5AB3-484B-A305-A4F0BFEDCEFA.jpeg4806F669-78D6-4305-B02F-C2F1157BBE2D.jpeg

coachgeo

Got the new mirrors installed today while waiting for some transmission parts to show up. Huge upgrade over the stock junk. Cut out and powder coated some 1/4” aluminum plate to stiffen the door. Adding some marker lights and turn signals to them this weekend. View attachment 869045
did you make plate for the opposite side (inside door) too or just go with giant washers inside?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

h1x2

Who makes those, they look great? Can you share a link?
The mirrors are for a Freightliner Cascadia. Got them on eBay. Link below.

Here’s a couple pics since I installed the lights on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h1x2

These have been on my watch list for a long time. What did you do for wiring and switches?
I never really adjust the mirrors on any of my vehicle so I didn’t wire the power for mirror movement.

I just cut one of the wires for the motor and used that plus the ground and wired it into the door light.

I may hook up the mirror heat at some point. Could put a switch on the door and run it off the marker light circuit depending on the amp draw. I’d have to check that first.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like the look of those mirror lights. Are they a universal part or are they something specific to the cascadia mirrors? Do you have a link to where you sourced them?

B-Dog

I never really adjust the mirrors on any of my vehicle so I didn’t wire the power for mirror movement.

I just cut one of the wires for the motor and used that plus the ground and wired it into the door light.

I may hook up the mirror heat at some point. Could put a switch on the door and run it off the marker light circuit depending on the amp draw. I’d have to check that first.

For anyone in the future; there should've been a yellow un-used wire in the mirror that I assume is specifically for a light/turn signal.

B-Dog

These have been on my watch list for a long time. What did you do for wiring and switches?
Here are a couple switches for the mirror adjustments. You'll have to use a separate switch for the heater. For the heater, you could use a spring return switch with a timer relay so you don't leave it on indefinitely/accidently.

I used the ELE310-370 switch. I would think the Cascadia switch works differently because the up/down controls coming out of the switch were backwards on mine. Inside the mirror, the red wire controls up/down and the blue wire is left/right. The black wire for the direction controls splits into 2 black wires before the plug into the motorized section. You'll have to swap the red wire and the black wire next to the red to get the up/down to match the switch.

Third From Texas

The mirrors are for a Freightliner Cascadia. Got them on eBay. Link below.

Here’s a couple pics since I installed the lights on them.

How is the vibration with those?

I've only ridden passenger in an LMTV that had them and the vibration caused such a blur I couldn't distinguish objects.

I know some who have installed them say it's not an issue. And some say it doesn't bother them. But most acknowledge they vibrate more than the OEM.

I suspect it has a lot to do with instillation and the amount of backing support added.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is the vibration with those?

I've only ridden passenger in an LMTV that had them and the vibration caused such a blur I couldn't distinguish objects.

I know some who have installed them say it's not an issue. And some say it doesn't bother them. But most acknowledge they vibrate more than the OEM.

I suspect it has a lot to do with instillation and the amount of backing support added.
I had the same question cause the vibration thing is a big issue in alot of these one ended mirrors but ive had it on old style as well you had to back up with one foot on the throttle and one on the brake to find the sweet spot so you could see clearly . They look great but i would want them to fold back against the door without having to get out of the truck to fold them back if needed .

Guruman

Not so new member
IMHO for passenger mirror go with something more bus style. sticks out into the tree's beside you wayyyy less. driver views them thru corner of front passenger windshield instead of side window. One can find similar for driver side too. Really could the truck more narrow.
I thought about doing that as well, or maybe just moving the mirror mounts to the front of the truck. My biggest issue is that when shutting the doors the mirrors get out of adjustment. This pig is hard enough to see behind me, I don't need the mirrors to constantly be pointing at the doors.

I though maybe doing something custom if I ever get around to making a brush guard. I could hang some custom mirrors off of that.

Third From Texas

My biggest issue is that when shutting the doors the mirrors get out of adjustment. This pig is hard enough to see behind me, I don't need the mirrors to constantly be pointing at the doors.
I've always cranked down the bolts on the OEM mirrors. Mine don't budge unless they encounter a solid object. I can still tuck them in on the rare occasion that I need additional clearance, but it takes a lot of pulling to do so. Torque those suckers down (replace the bolt, sping, washer if needed). Get them good and tight and they'll stay in adjustment.

Now if it the mirrors themselves turning in and not the frames, then you might look at replacement. The OEM style mirrors are dirt cheap and quite common.

Ronmar

Yea the OEM spring loaded breakaway brackets are terrible. I was thinking about building my own brackets/arms with a sealed detent pivot like is found on many pickup mirrors…. There is also a door mount point above the window that could be used for a strut, or even a cylinder to fold them remotely…

The Cascadia mirrors sure look good though. Also saw some cool ones off of a volvo tractor, not sure if they are in my stingy assed, penny pinching budget though:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks