• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1089 Mirror Upgrade

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've always cranked down the bolts on the OEM mirrors. Mine don't budge unless they encounter a solid object. I can still tuck them in on the rare occasion that I need additional clearance, but it takes a lot of pulling to do so. Torque those suckers down (replace the bolt, sping, washer if needed). Get them good and tight and they'll stay in adjustment.

Now if it the mirrors themselves turning in and not the frames, then you might look at replacement. The OEM style mirrors are dirt cheap and quite common.
Agreed @Third From Texas

Don't know about you, but for too many years doing my walkaround I learned to stand at the same place at the back of the truck - then look at the mirror. I learned with time that if the mirror got bumped I could see that, walk forward and make an adjustment. A couple of "Sharpie Marks" on the top and bottom of the mirror brackets would instantly get it back in place.

You gotta remember too that most of my early learning came from smart a$$ kids on the school bus lot. They had lots of enjoyment touching stuff they shouldn't. I was able to deflate their balloons pretty quick when it seemed so easy to fix the passenger mirror...

:cool:

coachgeo

I thought about doing that as well, or maybe just moving the mirror mounts to the front of the truck. My biggest issue is that when shutting the doors the mirrors get out of adjustment. This pig is hard enough to see behind me, I don't need the mirrors to constantly be pointing at the doors.

I though maybe doing something custom if I ever get around to making a brush guard. I could hang some custom mirrors off of that.
dont attach to the door. use the nuts above the door.... but yeah your right.... it would end up a customization.

there is similar on passenger of this short schoolie. Most these are made by Rosco.

Last edited:

coachgeo

They are the only mirrorless company with a mirror replacement product approved in the US.

I bet that costs more than our trucks.

Way more....
was thinking about the legal issue of using camera' as mirrors..... if you went heavy on the camera use and looked mostly at those.... then to still be legal..... even low expense Jeep wrangler mirrors installed might keep you legal.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are the only mirrorless company with a mirror replacement product approved in the US.

I bet that costs more than our trucks.

Way more....
Well i figured we being well adapted at reproducing something weve seen we could pull something off pretty cool and i like the idea of doin stuff we dont see every day but make it affordable .

Third From Texas

Well i figured we being well adapted at reproducing something weve seen we could pull something off pretty cool and i like the idea of doin stuff we dont see every day but make it affordable .
The problem with making your own is it then becomes DOT and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issue. Will it work, sure. Is it legal on the highway? That's up to DOT/FMCSA (they mandate what can be used).

It's like me running sand paddles on my dune car going down the highway.. The car is in fact legal. The tires absolutely are not (off-road only and easy to spot that).

I can run a FMV w/o plates in TX as long as the original unit markings are what it's registered under. But explaining the lack of plates being legal to the DPS officer out to make quota for his free toaster this month is something I chose to avoid.. No sense attracting unneeded LEO attention, is my moto. A DPS trooper sees a big rig with no mirrors and he's likely gonna want to chat...

If I did such a mirrorless conversion, I'd likely want to keep it legal.

ymmv

:)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with making your own is it then becomes DOT and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issue. Will it work, sure. Is it legal on the highway? That's up to DOT/FMCSA (they mandate what can be used).

It's like me running sand paddles on my dune car going down the highway.. The car is in fact legal. The tires absolutely are not (off-road only and easy to spot that).

I can run a FMV w/o plates in TX as long as the original unit markings are what it's registered under. But explaining the lack of plates being legal to the DPS officer out to make quota for his free toaster this month is something I chose to avoid.. No sense attracting unneeded LEO attention, is my moto. A DPS trooper sees a big rig with no mirrors and he's likely gonna want to chat...

If I did such a mirrorless conversion, I'd likely want to keep it legal.

ymmv

:)
If your scared jump in my pocket ! So mount some small non protruding mirror to fulfill mirror req. Then the small cameras and screens on the inside window post i think it would be cool and were not commercial anyways and we dont have to display our plates either just have them in the truck

Third From Texas

" The exemption applies exclusively to the Orlaco MirrorEye system, making it the only camera-monitoring system in the aftermarket " is the key phrase here.

They are getting rich I bet, being the sole product maker.

I know I can't afford them...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
" The exemption applies exclusively to the Orlaco MirrorEye system, making it the only camera-monitoring system in the aftermarket " is the key phrase here.

They are getting rich I bet, being the sole product maker.

I know I can't afford them...

Me either but ive got some ideas to keep the man happy and we build a cheaper system

INFChief

Many of the roads I travel in rural NYS are narrow. To navigate oncoming traffic I need to hug the right shoulder. Tree branches are constantly smacking my mirrors. I’ve tightened them down so they don’t vibrate in while driving but left them just loose enough to fold back if they get a hood whack.

I like the options many of you have tried or are considering. If I could find a set that sit closer inboard but still provide the rearward visible and slight “pano-view” that would be ideal. Telescoping mirrors might be a bit much though. Where DOES one stop? Lol

coachgeo

am doing this... one cam will be mounted on each L & R remote featured pan/tilt search light. Lights will be on a telescope tube mounted to brush guard ?? or maybe the lift tubes behind the cab?? Doing this way to capitalize on the searchlights remote pan/tilt feature for aiming the camera. A two for one thing.

Third From Texas

The kicker is legally replacing all is only currently allowed by the use of the one product (MirrorEye).

As GEO said, you could get away with a small mirror and still be in accordance with most states.

Beyond that, the camera thing has been done a lot (a couple builds here on SS have set them up).

Laws vary by state (where the vic is registered/inspected,), it seems.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of the roads I travel in rural NYS are narrow. To navigate oncoming traffic I need to hug the right shoulder. Tree branches are constantly smacking my mirrors. I’ve tightened them down so they don’t vibrate in while driving but left them just loose enough to fold back if they get a hood whack.

I like the options many of you have tried or are considering. If I could find a set that sit closer inboard but still provide the rearward visible and slight “pano-view” that would be ideal. Telescoping mirrors might be a bit much though. Where DOES one stop? Lol
I dont know if your truck has the motorized mirrors that you can pan left and right but a pass side one of those chocked up tight to the doorskin should give you a few less inches wide . There were plenty of streets in the 5 boroughs of NYC that i would have to get out and swing both sides around to the front to get by trucks and construction dumpsters and pray you didnt lance open the side of the bus before you could get a wide spot again to get the door open to put them back where they were and philthidelpia as well oh and dont forget boston in the old sections of town ! And i still miss it some days ! lol

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The kicker is legally replacing all is only currently allowed by the use of the one product (MirrorEye).

As GEO said, you could get away with a small mirror and still be in accordance with most states.

Beyond that, the camera thing has been done a lot (a couple builds here on SS have set them up).

Laws vary by state (where the vic is registered/inspected,), it seems.

You know you could just put a round spot mirror on a magnet base so you could slap it on thru the open window if the need arose

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks