• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 camper. need help

Imapapallama

me and my son and turning our m109 into a RV, but we hardly know where to start. we're just looking for tips and advise from people who have done this and know what they're talking about.

wsucougarx

Hate to do the "did you do a search" thing but there are at least 3-6 awesome write-ups on the 109 camper thing. I am doing the same project with my m109A3, the link is in just below. The first and foremost thing I would start with is making sure everything under the hood is good to go and make sure your chassis is good to go also.

Here's a good off SS site link:
http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck4/forsale.html

Imapapallama

thank you wsucougerx. yes i have searched it and have come up with a few write-ups, but our deuce was orignaly a m35a2 and we recently put the box on so the electic stuff was never hooked up and have no idea what electric box is for what or even anything like that.

wsucougarx

Ah, the only thing electically hooked to the box from the truck (at least with mine) is a measely little 14 or 12 gauge wire. This wire is hooked directly to the battery to provide the 24v to the box. Everything else is via land power on the huge power receptacle on the front of the box.

stampy

I removed the floor from mine so I could fit saddlebags below. It gives you more hidden storage and room for batteries so you don't have to run off the truck batteries. But my floor was pretty crappy so I needed to remove it anyway.

T

televisionman007

well our box wasnt in the best shape when we got it so we dont know if anything is missing or if the system even works
plug it in and find out. only thing it could really do other then burn up is pop some breakers or fuses2cents

wsucougarx

The land power plug is located on the front of the box, passenger side about 3/4 the way up the box. Most are a 2 prong plug that is nearly impossible to find mating plug for. The 24v power goes from the battery to the little black circuit breaker plug that is bolted to your van box. It is just up from your fuel tank

Attachments

Last edited:

Imapapallama

thank you all very much. this helps

well this is the current status os the conversion: box is a mess and probably shouldn't have used house paint on the inside.

Last edited:

wikallen

The schematic for the wiring is the TMs. I keep one in the back of my M109. I took all the boxes off of mine (was wired for 100amp service with a 4prong plug) and rewired it for my needs.

I still need to beef up the 24volt wire, but so far has done just fine running my 900watt inverter. I run a fridge, lights, laptop and misc phone and tool chargers and see no more then 1 volt drop overnight, and maybe 2volt drop in a day total.

My inverter is tied into an auto transfer box as well as a 30amp service plug on the outside. When not plugged into a generator or shore power, the inverter runs the 120v lights and outlets. When 120v is applied to the 30amp plug outside, the transfer switches over to use it.

I plan to install a second pair of batteries with a 70amp isolator sometime, as when I start the truck, the inverter will go into an alarm if the fridge compressor is also running.

goldneagle

I removed the floor from mine so I could fit saddlebags below. It gives you more hidden storage and room for batteries so you don't have to run off the truck batteries. But my floor was pretty crappy so I needed to remove it anyway.
How about posting a link to your post so we can see what you did to the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks