• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 camper. need help

The Gimlis

It's is alot of work, but when you are done, you are gonna love it. I don't now how to make a direct link, but if you do a search for "Extreme Expedition Vehicle here on SS, you will see some pics of our M35A2 we did (that's Army Bob on my avatar)

The best thing I can say is built it using YOUR skills. We run a metal fab shop so it's natural to use steel all over. If you're better at carpentry, then get sawing! Find a good used camper or trailer and canibilize it for parts. We used windows, stove, sink and misc other parts from a cabover camper given to us.

However, don't skimp on your electrical or electronic parts and pieces. We went through two cheapo inverters until we spent the $$$ for a good one. No problem now. Same thing if you go for propane - don't cut corners!

Is your M109 in good reliable running condition? Don't go to all this work and then have the silly thing strand you at the top of a mountain. Make sure the truck itself is 100%. Army Bob was and still is in awesome running shape and we trust it completely.

Also, be prepared when you take it out, lots and lots of people will probably want to see it where ever you go - even to the grocery store. Take the attention as a complement and show it off proudly. Also for that same reason, keep it clean inside!

Keep us all posted on your progress, and you know we will all LOVE to give you advice!!!!!

Enjoy!

wikallen

that was the first one we found. and wikallen, i found my cords for the 24 volt system cut. could you help with wiring advice?

What and where are your cords cut? The 24volt feed should be below the A/C connection a little bit. If you look at your passenger side cab window, the 24volt feed is about the middle of the window height. Would be a screw in sealed type entrance into the box. Then all the way at the bottom of the box, their would be a circuit breaker. There would be two wires going into the box actually, one goes to that circuit breaker, the other is a feed to a fuel pump.

If the two wire are cut outside the box, and you want to figure out which one is the 24volt feed that should go to the circuit breaker, then to the battery, you can open the main disconnect panel. Look for the little aux switch. I seem to remember it in there anyway, and look for wire 38. Put a multimeter on wire 38, and look for continuity at one of the two wires on the outside of the box. The one that reads 0 ohms or close to that, is your 24volt positive feed to the box.

wikallen

The big box on the bottom left is a converter for blowers. It will control any blower motors you have in the truck. If you have no fan blowers, just take that box out. It will convert your 120vac to 24vdc to run the blowers from a gen set instead of running off batteries.

TM 9-2320-209-20-2-2 will have your diagrams for the wiring

govt

I'm in the process of painting my box. I plan to install (2) large banks of telco batteries & inverter system to make a mobile "silent" generator truck. The electrical panel is easy to figure out without the immediate need for the hard to find 2-pin connector. The only time I have to work on the thing is at night so I needed the lights working. I included a pic that shows where you need to apply power to get the lights and powers strips working. The switches will control the 24v or 120v power. Also fan, if you have one. Not purty but it handles an air compressor, boombox & and more important portable fridge for the night time beverage.

Attachments

Capriceii

LOL Bun-bun, mine ended up with the name Maggy. Keep the info coming. I just got the work bench out of my 109 and now it is time to tear out the inner skin and see where the rust and holes are.. Any one here know a good source for M109 box parts? I need one of the push arms for one of my windows, it was missing when I got her.

Thanks!

TF

Imapapallama

bun bun is the homicidal bunny from the webcomic sluggy freelance that has a switch blade and glock. me and my 15 yr old son both read the comic and my son wanted to name the truck so i suggested it and he loved the idea.

Last edited:

zout

I will throw the several window arms in the trailer with the rest of the stuff I am bringing - first come with beers first served on the window arms - need something to drink when I play the banjo

zout

Saturn Surplus has always done me right on parts and I know they have the circuit breakers - wiring and nearly everything else you might want. Check them out.