• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 Deuce multi fuel won't start

skuhler

Last month, I moved my M109 multi fuel from the grain bins to the shop. It started right up, idled smooth, and ran fine to put it away. Last week, I got in it to move it, and it wouldn't fire. Not a bang. Thinking it was water in the fuel maybe, I drained off quite a bit of water (several seconds from all 3) from all filters and re primed. Nothing. Replaced the fuel filters and reprimed. Nothing. I've got good fuel flow all the way to the injector pump but the return line on the top of the injectors is empty, there's about 6 inches of fuel in that line right at the pump. I swear it acts like the fuel shut off is still closed.

Could the fuel shutoff be stuck? Externally, it works as it should. How would I check it? Remove the plunger or the screws and the plate on the side of the pump?

What else could it be? A little ether and she bangs away. Is there something I can check or do I need to get a diesel mechanic?

Thanks for any help.

skuhler

More research on the site tells me that I need to check the plunger in the center of the HH for movement and perhaps the delivery valve on the side. Also to check the movement of the shut off valve by removing the access plate on the side. Any tips or tricks out there?

rustystud

More research on the site tells me that I need to check the plunger in the center of the HH for movement and perhaps the delivery valve on the side. Also to check the movement of the shut off valve by removing the access plate on the side. Any tips or tricks out there?
There are plenty of threads covering this subject. Just google it here.

dmetalmiki

Squirt some penetrating oil into the intake and it may then continue to run on under its own 'steam'..DO NOT use ether easy start etc.

skuhler

Thanks, rustystud and all, got it running this morning. Easy solution, the spring loaded shut off valve was stuck in the closed position. Took off the cover, worked it back and forth, works like a champ. I didn't realize it wasn't directly connected to the shut off cable!

I guess I left the cable pulled while it sat there for a month or more. New standing procedure is to return the shut off cable to the run position after the motor dies.

Thanks, again.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No you want to leave it in the shut down position. That way if the fuel control sticks it won't be sticking at WOT.
Also if one was to leave the transmission in gear and the truck got a hard bump it could start and run down the road.
Also the correct starting is to leave the engine shut down pulled out to engine off and turn on master. Then hit the starter and check for Hydro lock. If no engine lock up your good to push the shut down control in and let her start.
There is no spring loaded shut off valve. There is the fuel control assembly under that shut down cover and when the engine is not running it is at full throttle to help with starting. Then it goes to idle after starting but if it sticks in the forward position you WILL wet you pants.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The reason it isn't directly coupled to the shut off lever is because it floats while the truck is running. It would wildly effect the throttle response if it were connected. I've run a truck while the shutoff was off the ip, it's interesting to watch.

skuhler

Thank you, floridianson, for the explanation of the fuel control assembly versus shutoff, plus the hydro lock test. I'll implement that immediately.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks