• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 Electrical Switch, 120v/blackout lights

swhpaz

The 120v switch in the box of my M109 is shot. Its the DPDT switch upper left next to the 4 breaker box. The one that turns on the 120v interior lights or the blackout light.

Does anyone know where to get a new one? I've tried all the electrical supply houses around here and all they want to do is sell me this little replacement switch.

My other option is to re-wire to two seperate switches which I don't want to do.

Help please!!!!!!!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a problem with my M109A3 with the lights that are operated with this switch. The problem is when the truck is plugged into a outlet that is not ground fault protected, it works fine. when i plug the truck into an outlet that has a GFI, it pops the GFI only when i turn the light switch to the on position. i figured i would take the switch out and see if anything looked obvious with it, and i found somebody put a jumper between one part of the switch to another... something that shouldnt be there, so i took it out. there are wire numbers on the wires going to the switch... for a total of 5 wires.... the wires are like #706 and #705... something like that. so now that that jumper was on the switch that shouldnt be there, i thought i would just take it completely out and touch the wires together without the switch. sure enough when i touched the supply power wire to the one wire, the lights lit up in the truck quick then blew the GFI. so i think this tells me that the switch was fine but has a problem betwen the lights and switch.

What i could use is a wiring diagram showing me what wires go to where on the switch. i could make it work, because i know that one of them is power supply from the breaker, one goes to the normal lights, one goes to the blackout bulb, and the other two wires i dont know what they do... but i dont think they get the 120 volts for some reason. I think then 120 volt wires go on one side of the switch and the other two go on the other side to control something else but what? and how many lights are supposed to come on with the regular service lights? 5? then the other one would be for blackout? I think i need to pull the light sockets down and see if anything is obvious there, maybe a lose wire? I heard that could do it too. any other ideas though... i think i am on the right track, but i want to make sure i get the right wires on the switch. Ill check the wire numbers too and see what they reference.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom,
You should have a pair of 24 v lights near the very middle of the ceiling. The blackout light is suppose to work with a switch on the door which turns off the other lights and leaves the blackout light burning when the door is about to be opened. To the left of the door as you look at it from inside there is a pair of switches (at least there are in mine) that help to control those functions. To get at the wiring you only need to remove the two center strips. I would check for a short somewhere in the circuit.

There is a thread which lists every wire number in the military system, as every vehicle uses the wire numbers. This means wire #706 in your example will be used for the same thing, no matter what vehicle you are working on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks