• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 No start, what's this noob missing?

Dueceownerjoe

I've changed the fuel filters, found the blown fuse in the fuel pump and bled the fuel system. The truck cranks but won't fire. One of the boneheads who was helping sprayed ether in it and it fired. I told him stop that, I don't like fire in a can in my engines.

I re-bled the system but it will not fire, should I crack an injector line to see if I'm getting fuel? I have 10 gallons in the tank, the pump is working.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Joe

Westech

CPL
RE: M109 No start, what

yes crack a line and see whats up. also make sure you have enough fuel in that tank. the pick up is not slammed on the bottom of the tank. and make sure the pump is really working you should hear a humm from it.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: M109 No start, what

make sure the kill cable is fully releasing.Should push far enough in that the handle touches the dash.Also check the IP end to make sure the rod is going in.Crack the bleeders on the fuel filters at the back of the engine and when fuel comes out close and let sit for 20 seconds.Open again,Keep doing this till no air comes out.Then crack the injector lines one by one while someone cranks the engine over.Only crank for 10-20 seconds at a time and let the starter cool a full 2 minutes.After 1 or 2 injectors bleeding it should fire up on a couple Cylinders.You just need to get the air out of enough lines for the engine to run on a couple holes and the 2000PSI of fuel pressure will take care of the rest.Will run like crap till all the air is out so be prepaired.It will smooth out if all is good.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two flat screws removes cover and check that the fuel cut off moves freely. It can get gummed up and stick.The cut off pull cable is not directly connected to this and even if the cable is in the cut off still can hang up.

Attachments

Dueceownerjoe

Re: RE: M109 No start, what

FreightTrain said:
Oh,Just cause the pump makes noise don't mean it is working.But seeing as you bleed the filters it is working.
There was good pressure behind the fuel. It was squirting out of the bleeder.(Once I discovered the fuse, thank you search option and Sasquach Santas post.)

I do need to replace the fuse with the proper type ( Is it really oil filled?). Where do I get one of those?

Thanks again, joe

Dueceownerjoe

RE: Re: RE: M109 No start, what

It still l wont fire. I loosened the injector lines, rebled the system(Just in case) and checked the fuel cutoff. The inside was clean and had a little motor oil it and the shut off returns just fine. I'm getting fuel back to the fuel return line on the pump to the tank but none through the pump to the injector lines.

What am I missing??

FreightTrain

Banned

is it spinning over fast enough?Smoke out the stack?Does it even try to hit?Getting fuel but getting good pressure at the injectors?

Dueceownerjoe

Spinning fast, no smoke. There isn't any fuel coming out of the fuel injector lines at the injectors or at the the pump.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sheared plunger guide or sized plunger or Plunger seat button broke. Pull the head.
Broken delivery valve spring. Check spring. I might start with the spring.
Dumb question did the truck run before?
TM 9-2910-226-34 is the IP pump.

Dueceownerjoe

I was told that it was running and then it sat for a year or two. The previous owner said just change the filters and drain all the old fuel and it will fire. He is someone I know so I can ask him questions if I need to.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I would bet even money that the injector's lift pump is seized and the seals are shot. Prolonged periods of inactivity can cause this to happen. You'll need to have it checked out by a mechanic. However, there is an easy way to tell if your lift pump is working properly, when the engine is running shut off the accessory switch: if the truck stops the lift pump isn't producing a enough pressure to feed the engine from the fuel; if the truck continues to run the pump is working properly. I would bet that fuel is getting to the injector stopping in the lift pump. I wouldn't tap or hit the pump, it wouldn't free up a seized lift really. I would just take it to the nearest heavy-truck place and have them properly pressure check the pump. Once you crack this pump open you'll most likely be looking at a full rebuild. Which will be okay in the long run because the truck will be that much better for it. You may want to supply your mechanic with the proper fuel injector pump manuals because he will need to know the specifics about your pump. It is not a common mechanical injector pump with FDC so you'll need to supply that for him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks