• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 recovery from Grayling

phil2968

We left Florida at 7:30 Wed, drove 1350 miles to Grayling in 22 hours. We waited at Mcdonalds for them to open for breakfast at 6AM. We found the pick up site and waited for Joe to arrive. Joe was already there and had my truck and several others running and pulled out. I was expecting to have to do more than just drive it out! My transport truck would not be in Grayling till 1300 so we had to wait a little while. The transport arrived in the pouring rain but loading was quick and easy. I am well pleased with the truck, airshift transfer and a turbo! I'm happy. :-D

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ohhhh.... Heater for the box.... :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I want to find one for my truck. Let me know if yours works!

Good looking truck. Long drive for a recovery!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the lead M-35 on the trailer climb the step deck without a ramp? If so, I am impressed . . .

citizensoldier

But this was not the truck you originally bought right? How did this whole thing play out for you? The truck looks good and I remember that truck but its not the one you sent me pictures of.. I am glad you got a good truck.. Just wondering what you were able to work out with GL because they re-listed the truck you bought first.. :-D

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the lead M-35 on the trailer climb the step deck without a ramp? If so, I am impressed . . .
There is lumber stacked agaisnt the step forming small steps.
Still an impressive site to see.
Sorry Phil, that was me walking in front of your camera while watching him load that truck. :oops:

Wish I'd of known it was you.
I think I let your trucker in the gate while I was leaving, he said he was there to pick up a truck heading to Florida.

SCSG-G4 said:
DG and RW,
If you look at the last picture, on the far right, behind the 2nd deuce, and still on the ground, sits the 109.
Yes a 109, but that one I think was miltruckman's

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah,
I was amazed at how many trucks were still there. (buyer refused or defaulted)
The one I lucked out on (10 new wheels & tires) had a prevous lot# of 5691 which listed a dropside which went that time for $715.
Hard to imagine anyone refusing that truck for $715.
Granted it needed brake fluid and bleeding before I drove it home. I am tickled with it, even though I paid a bit more than $715 for it. I'm 3 for 3 on paying more than I should have on the Greyling trucks. :cry:

phil2968

Wow, what a trip! We just arrived back at my house in Florida. We went by my daddy's in Athen's Ga. to pick a tractor for me to repair.

I drove my 109 into grayling to a parking lot to await my transporter, he would arrive after Joe would have locked the gate.

Lane, I worried for 1350 miles about what shape this truck would be in. Was very surprised when I found my name on this one and not the one in the pics I sent you. GL said via e-mail that they inadvertently may have reused pics.

Yes, the guy with the flatbed used 4x4's to get it up top. He didn't quite have enough though and the last 8 or 9 inches was all deuce muscle!

It was a long tiring trip, hated to go all that way and not see a great lake or two but it rained while my driver loaded my truck and we decided to head back south.

Beautiful country you live in Lane, maybe I'll meet you at the Ga. rally!

Armada

Congrats on your truck phil. Too bad you couldn't stay in the cool north for a couple days to unwind before the trip back home. Could have hooked you up with a trip onto the big lake for kings, or maybe for musky on the Clair.

Attachments

Last edited:

phil2968

Really wanted to stay and look around, never know when I'll get that way again. Oh, by the way, your hiways suck. I now have to have a kidney transplant, my fell out down around Ohio!:p

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really wanted to stay and look around, never know when I'll get that way again. Oh, by the way, your hiways suck. I now have to have a kidney transplant, my fell out down around Ohio!:p
We're all glad things worked out well for you.

By the way, our roads suck on good days, be thankfull you didn't drive the M109!

phil2968

I was really really tempted to try, citizensoldier convinced my not to try. He's a good voice of reason, truck would have be shaken apart before I got to Tennesee!

phil2968

Congrats on your truck phil. Too bad you couldn't stay in the cool north for a couple days to unwind before the trip back home. Could have hooked you up with a trip onto the big lake for kings, or maybe for musky on the Clair.
Thanks for the offer, I do want to go back and see more. Got there at 5:30 and left at 13:00, didn't get to see much of the country let alone the lakes!