• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 Roof Strength How Tough?

61sleepercab

I am trading for a M109 van body deuce that I want to make into a half camper, half totter for my MkT85 Gi $100,000 hot dog cooker.

My question is how stout is the roof to foot traffic or carried load ? I have traded for a P style Quonset Hut 30x30 and may need to put a sheet of plywood on the roof and bolt the top roof pieces together. Good or bad idea? Thanks Mark

61sleepercab

I am in the process of a 400 mile swap.... 5 ton of mine for a M109 in great shape. I may have to drive the truck to trade as trucking looks to cost about 1/3 of truck value to get it there. I like the trip now in early winter as easier on tires/engine cooling with winter temps. We joked about 5 ton of WV pepperoni rolls for 5 tons of Amish PA shoe fly pies?? Mark

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No need to have different threads for questions on the same thing. This should have been asked in your other thread.

Anyway, the m109 boxes are stout, you should be fine.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Walking directly on the roof might cause flexing and cause the old caulking to crack resulting in a leak. The first big van trailer I got had been walked on a lot (had footprints all over it) and it had several leaks. I wire brushed all the seams, applied silicone and spray bombed over it. I would also recommend using Cool Seal if you are going to be driving it a lot and getting a lot of flex. Cool Seal is what we Rednecks use to coat the tops of mobile homes here in the hot, hot south. The silver color helps reflect heat.

peashooter

Here are some pictures of the structure of the roof from when I overhauled my 109 box. I walk on the roof occasionally but try to walk on the sections where the bracing is underneath. Also the center line of the roof looks like it has a brace but its actually a wire duct that is not in contact with the roof panels. The sheetmetal will definitely flex if you walk on a non supported section and like wreckerman said, it will then cause the old brittle seam sealants to crack and leak. Plus lots of these boxes are rusted from the inside (due to leaks) and you wouldn't know it from looking at the outside so It would definitely be possible to step through the roof or at least put a tear into the sheetmetal if its rusted. There are some more pics of the box's interior here.
hope this helps

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks