• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 window falling apart... Rebuildable?

Vendetta

I have a M109 that a couple of the van windows are coming apart and was wondering if anyone had any tips as far as trying to rebuild them. I'm pretty sure I can rebuild them it just seems the wood that holds together the 2 metal sides has rotted and therefore the windows are coming apart. Has anyone rebuilt their shop van windows, if so what material did you use (prefer not to have to try to cut down wooden strips to replace it with as I don't want to have to deal w/ the rotting issues anymore but I may have to) Thanks.

wsucougarx

Wood? I don't have wood in any of my 109 van windows. Not sure if there was a design change with the trucks. Mine is an '88 M109A3 (not a rebuild but an original '88 ). Mine has a cutout for the windows that's reinforced with steel not wood. Got a pic? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Last edited:

Darwin T

the cut out is metal, but the window frame around the glass is wood (i think) on my. i had the same issue on some of mine a couple of years ago but i found someone selling replacements and went that way. but i have not seen any replacement windows in a LOOOONG time. i still have the broken one somewhere i can take a picture and check what it is made of. the last window i saw for sale was $400.00 if i remember right.

n2ojunkie

I had a friend of mine rebuild mine. I did some work for him on his car and he rebuilt all 7 of the Windows for me. Not sure what he used as far as sizes but I know he did it and the fit and seel great no leaks at all.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the windows out of the truck, lay them flat and get them back together (aligned). Next, drill some holes at the bottom, one in the center and on each side about two inches from the corners big enough for a #8 screw to go through (pan head, 8x32, 1.75 inch long) with the pan head to the outside. Use a nut with a star washer on the inside and clamp it back together. Use two near the bottom on each side, again about two inches from the corner, then three inches above that, and a third one a little over half way up. Re-install the window. Done!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ours still had non-rotten wood (yea for desert life), but it was warped and pulled out of the metal channel. I pryed open the metal channel enough to push the wood back in. After clamping it there I used a punch (old flat-ended scewdriver) to drive in the edges of the metal channel in, in a few places, to hold the wood. That was how it was to start w/.
Not really sure how I would go about replacing the wood w/ something else. I would prob have a wood worker make me new ones, then seal them well and rebuild.
I've also heard that the ones from the M146 trailers are the same windows. I could check to make sure, we have both. If anyone knows, or hears of, someplace to get any of these windows please let me know as well. I have a mix of missing glass, broken parts, and missing pieces among the 3 trailers. The She beast has good windows and we are happy about that :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks