• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097A2 Armor Package Type?

Lawdog734

I know that there are several armor packages that were made available for the HMMVW beyond the supplemental armor that the Marines had on theirs prior to the GWOT. Since there are different types and levels and tiers of armor packages, I was hoping that someone could identify the type on this vehicle.

The other day I was driving through town past the county shop when I noticed several HMMWV's back off the road behind the shop. I stopped for a closer look and saw that there were 4 trucks present - all with grass growing up around them and proving for a nice wasp habitat. 3 of the trucks were of your basic M998 or M998A1 variety, but 1 truck in particular caught my eye as it was armored. The truck was a former Navy truck based on what was stenciled on the hood and the data plate shows that it was an M1097A2. The pic below isn't the truck in question, but is a better pic than the ones I took dodging wasps - the one below that (tan truck) is one of the better ones I took though.

M1097A2-Up-Armored-HMMWV3_zpsv1xxdfli.jpg

M1097A2.jpg

As you can see, the truck isn't as heavily armored as you see of the later variety of trucks. I'm more specifically interested in the types of trucks that this package was added on, or is the M1097's the only one with this type? Is there a correct type of turret roof that would be appropriate for this armor package since the roof profile is clearly different than what you'd typically see on an A2 truck?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks