• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097A2 helmet top AC unit

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased a M1097A2 with helmet top and it appears to have an electrically operated air conditioning system in it. I haven't been able to find any info on this setup. Anyone have any info, manuals or schematics on this setup? TIA.15e7a83f-b07f-426a-b144-684e8749f7f0.jpg1ed36e2e-0b96-4b76-b27c-1dd31cdca6bf.jpgee16bb8b-bb23-483e-a8f6-54d2c7c936e4.jpg

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wanted to give an update on what I have found out about my 2008 M1097A2 helmet top. I emailed the Air Conditioner mfg., Real-Time Laboratories LLC in Florida asking for any information on the ACU installed in my helmet top. They said they could only provide a user manual, which I was happy for. It's basically a self contained A/C only unit (think window unit or mini-split) that's primary purpose was to cool the electronics equipment housed in the rear cargo area, but also ducted the air to the cabin overhead! What I really like about this setup is I now have A/C and still retain FULL use of my cabin and cargo bed area!! I really think that adds a ton of value to this MV. According to the user manual the A/C unit is maintenance free (yeah, right!) and designed to operate in high dust/dirt environments. I was able to briefly turn it on to check operation and it does in fact work! Puts out a ton of air and the compressor did kick on and got cold (bonus)!
Some other things I found out about my M1097A2 was that it was shipped to Hooks, TX (Red River Army Depot) in 2019 from Ft. Huachuca, AZ. Been sitting in a field until delivery to my driveway. I purchased it as a non-runner (missing the radiator). I removed the serpentine belt, added 2 batteries and crossed my fingers...Flipped the switch to run and the wait light illuminated...Good sign so far...Then engaged the starter and brought her back to life in an instant! I quickly shut her down with a new found purpose to get her all put back together again and keep her!! I have some ideas on what I would like to do with her, but would love to hear others! Some pics attachedM1097A2 ACU.jpgM1097A2-3.jpgM1097A2-2.jpgM1097A2-1.jpg

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another update on the new project. Parts I've replaced so far are as follows. Front brake rotors and pads, radiator, steering gearbox, splash shields around the radiator, batteries. After replacing the radiator and letting her get to temp, I started looking for any additional leaks...Didn't take long to see the steering gearbox spitting out red fluid. I sent the gearbox off to the shop for a rebuild. A couple weeks later, I get it back and install it with no issues! FINALLY I get to do the road shakedown!! REMINDER: I purchased it as a non-running unit, so I have no idea if the transmission is any good. Well, I got it rolling in the neighborhood and everything seems like its working as it should, so I attempt to take it on the highway and into town to put some fresh diesel in it. She shifts like a dream and everything appears to be functioning correctly. As I'm driving back home I notice the temp rising past 240 on the gauge...I know the gauges are notorious for their accuracy, but still I got nervous, so I pulled over and unplugged the timer to make the fan kick on. Everything returned to normal. I checked the fan temp switch and it checked out bad. I replaced it and tried another road test. Again the temp got uncomfortably hot, so back to troubleshooting. Checked the wiring to the switch and everything checked good, so I shot it with an infrared thermometer and it was reading 190 when my dash gauge was showing 250. I let it climb a little higher on the dash gauge and sure enough the fan kicked in, so I have a very inaccurate dash gauge.

Some things I noted on my road test...I'm hearing a thumping noise as I'm driving. It's not very loud, but it is noticeable. The faster I go the the faster the thumping. I'm thinking something in the drivetrain, maybe drive shaft? U-Joint? Need some help on this one...No other issues noted so far with respect to drivability. I was able to get the air conditioning unit fired up for the drive as well and it blows strong and COLD!! It's a nice setup! As soon as I figure out and fix the thumping issue, I'll look at putting doors on it. Probably going to go with hard doors. I like the west KY surplus doors because they use the heavy duty striker and replicate the original military x-doors. Some other hard doors I've seen use the soft door strikers, but I do like the full/half door options on those (where you can make the full door into a half door). Anyone have 2 cents to add to that?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
U joints on driveshafts or hanger bearings tend to "click". Thumping sounds like a tire out of round or separating belts. Any body vibrations or steering wheel shimmy?

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
U joints on driveshafts or hanger bearings tend to "click". Thumping sounds like a tire out of round or separating belts. Any body vibrations or steering wheel shimmy?
No abnormal body vibrations that I noticed. Steering seemed VERY responsive, but no shimmy or shaking. The tires are suspect as they're not the best...Sound seemed to come from under the vehicle from what I recall. I have 1 spare tire I might try to rotate around to see if that "cures" the thump.
Thanks!

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can put a hand on the driveshaft and see if it has play/looseness movement as either a bad u joint or bad hanger bearing should be able to be diagnosed with out it running. Check both front and rear.
OK, I grabbed a hold of the front driveshaft and it does have a slight bit of movement around the hanger bearing and the U-Joint at the diff. I'm not sure how much is too much, but I suspect I have too much play. I'll check the rear driveshaft tonight...hopefully...unless the wife has other plans for my free time.

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the thumping started after you fill it up with fuel , check the weight on the front of your rear driveshaft see if its hitting the shield on the tank.
I checked for rubbing...It's clear. Sound was happening before the fill-up anyways. I do enjoy being able to get on the creeper and access the entire underbelly of this beast!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I grabbed a hold of the front driveshaft and it does have a slight bit of movement around the hanger bearing and the U-Joint at the diff. I'm not sure how much is too much, but I suspect I have too much play. I'll check the rear driveshaft tonight...hopefully...unless the wife has other plans for my free time.
The Carrier bearing is rubber isolated, it moves when installed in the mount, many people think it’s bad when in fact it’s not…

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No abnormal body vibrations that I noticed. Steering seemed VERY responsive, but no shimmy or shaking. The tires are suspect as they're not the best...Sound seemed to come from under the vehicle from what I recall. I have 1 spare tire I might try to rotate around to see if that "cures" the thump.
Thanks!
almost every m1123 I’ve ever received “100’s” have had out of round tires.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driveshaft at ujoint yokes should have zero play/movement I would replace both u joints and the hanger bearing with mount while you have it down. Just my thoughts and possible cheap insurance down the road not to do the same job twice.

Your $ & Ymmv

AzTinker

Another update on the new project. Parts I've replaced so far are as follows. Front brake rotors and pads, radiator, steering gearbox, splash shields around the radiator, batteries. After replacing the radiator and letting her get to temp, I started looking for any additional leaks...Didn't take long to see the steering gearbox spitting out red fluid. I sent the gearbox off to the shop for a rebuild. A couple weeks later, I get it back and install it with no issues! FINALLY I get to do the road shakedown!! REMINDER: I purchased it as a non-running unit, so I have no idea if the transmission is any good. Well, I got it rolling in the neighborhood and everything seems like its working as it should, so I attempt to take it on the highway and into town to put some fresh diesel in it. She shifts like a dream and everything appears to be functioning correctly. As I'm driving back home I notice the temp rising past 240 on the gauge...I know the gauges are notorious for their accuracy, but still I got nervous, so I pulled over and unplugged the timer to make the fan kick on. Everything returned to normal. I checked the fan temp switch and it checked out bad. I replaced it and tried another road test. Again the temp got uncomfortably hot, so back to troubleshooting. Checked the wiring to the switch and everything checked good, so I shot it with an infrared thermometer and it was reading 190 when my dash gauge was showing 250. I let it climb a little higher on the dash gauge and sure enough the fan kicked in, so I have a very inaccurate dash gauge.

Some things I noted on my road test...I'm hearing a thumping noise as I'm driving. It's not very loud, but it is noticeable. The faster I go the the faster the thumping. I'm thinking something in the drivetrain, maybe drive shaft? U-Joint? Need some help on this one...No other issues noted so far with respect to drivability. I was able to get the air conditioning unit fired up for the drive as well and it blows strong and COLD!! It's a nice setup! As soon as I figure out and fix the thumping issue, I'll look at putting doors on it. Probably going to go with hard doors. I like the west KY surplus doors because they use the heavy duty striker and replicate the original military x-doors. Some other hard doors I've seen use the soft door strikers, but I do like the full/half door options on those (where you can make the full door into a half door). Anyone have 2 cents to add to that?
Hello AR Hog Hummer, I have a top like that also, can I get a copy of that manual?? I am in Tucson-Spence--AZTinker

AzTinker

Just wanted to give an update on what I have found out about my 2008 M1097A2 helmet top. I emailed the Air Conditioner mfg., Real-Time Laboratories LLC in Florida asking for any information on the ACU installed in my helmet top. They said they could only provide a user manual, which I was happy for. It's basically a self contained A/C only unit (think window unit or mini-split) that's primary purpose was to cool the electronics equipment housed in the rear cargo area, but also ducted the air to the cabin overhead! What I really like about this setup is I now have A/C and still retain FULL use of my cabin and cargo bed area!! I really think that adds a ton of value to this MV. According to the user manual the A/C unit is maintenance free (yeah, right!) and designed to operate in high dust/dirt environments. I was able to briefly turn it on to check operation and it does in fact work! Puts out a ton of air and the compressor did kick on and got cold (bonus)!
Some other things I found out about my M1097A2 was that it was shipped to Hooks, TX (Red River Army Depot) in 2019 from Ft. Huachuca, AZ. Been sitting in a field until delivery to my driveway. I purchased it as a non-runner (missing the radiator). I removed the serpentine belt, added 2 batteries and crossed my fingers...Flipped the switch to run and the wait light illuminated...Good sign so far...Then engaged the starter and brought her back to life in an instant! I quickly shut her down with a new found purpose to get her all put back together again and keep her!! I have some ideas on what I would like to do with her, but would love to hear others! Some pics attachedView attachment 889032View attachment 889033View attachment 889034View attachment 889035
ANy Chance of getting a copy of ac unit manual?? Spence

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks