• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097R1 battery replacement help

HMMWVNEWB

Good Morning or Afternoon depending where you are. I have a 1992 AM General M1097R1 Humvee with dead batteries. I just wanted to ask you all what the best batteries would be to replace my existing. I live in Las Vegas and do not know if that will matter in the overall decision. Would love to hear your thought on this? Have you found any that seem to work better for you guys? Or anyone with lots of Humvee electronics hooked up like Vic 3 and other radios etc are there battery batteries for that specific use or will it not even matter?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So as long as you get a matched set of batteries (same size, rating, and if possible same production date) then it doesn't matter.

If you use the search function at the top left of the page and search this forum for batteries, you will come up with a lot of threads, as this is a commonly asked question.

Some people say only use the 6T series because that's what the military uses.
Other people will say go buy the cheapest ones from walmart that fit.

I'm in the middle. I am not a purist, and the only reason the military uses the 6T series is because they have other trucks that use it, so it simplifies inventory if they all use the same battery.
Group 24 batteries fit just fine and have enough cranking power (the original 6T was around 660 CCA, so anything with that or more is good) and the flat top/maintenance free version will work with the original hold down bracket.
AGM type batteries will handle vibration much better than flooded lead acid batteries will, so if you're doing much off roading they are a better choice.

The only real advantage to running 6TAGM batteries is the reserve capacity is big, so you can run electronics for longer with the truck not running. If the truck is running, then it doesn't really matter how much you run the electronics, as long as you aren't exceeding the output of the alternator.

a123f4f5dd8e3adf5c286ad751292544eb0d428b-1.jpg
Personally I'm running a set of AGM group 24.

HMMWVNEWB

So as long as you get a matched set of batteries (same size, rating, and if possible same production date) then it doesn't matter.

If you use the search function at the top left of the page and search this forum for batteries, you will come up with a lot of threads, as this is a commonly asked question.

Some people say only use the 6T series because that's what the military uses.
Other people will say go buy the cheapest ones from walmart that fit.

I'm in the middle. I am not a purist, and the only reason the military uses the 6T series is because they have other trucks that use it, so it simplifies inventory if they all use the same battery.
Group 24 batteries fit just fine and have enough cranking power (the original 6T was around 660 CCA, so anything with that or more is good) and the flat top/maintenance free version will work with the original hold down bracket.
AGM type batteries will handle vibration much better than flooded lead acid batteries will, so if you're doing much off roading they are a better choice.

The only real advantage to running 6TAGM batteries is the reserve capacity is big, so you can run electronics for longer with the truck not running. If the truck is running, then it doesn't really matter how much you run the electronics, as long as you aren't exceeding the output of the alternator.

View attachment 906034
Personally I'm running a set of AGM group 24.
Wow thank you for all that insight. I really appreciate the help, and I will check those out. I do plan on running a lot of equipment at some point but probably no where near what the military ran when it was with them.

HMMWVNEWB

If you are running 12V equipment, you will want to use a quality 24-12V converter, like the Victron Orion series. You can NOT just hook 12V stuff to the rear battery unless your truck has the dual output alternator in it, which wasn't common in the 3 speed trucks.

Yes, of course I have been reading up on all this and see/know the dangers of doing things incorrectly or hastily. This 24v system though is a something that does scare me a little bit to be honest. I do appreciate your info!

The electronics I am talking about are basic. Other than just your basic outer light bar or extra lights which I would use a convertor for. Other than that I am hoping to find all the hardware to connect to the 24volt system. I have a SINCARS Power Tray(cant recall the model of the power part on the radio tray MT-1029 I believe) which I am hoping I will be able to power by a CX-4720. I then will be able to plug and mount my 2 man Vic 1 system and power it by the MT-1029 on the power tray.( could be missing some steps) That's the idea at least. I was going to do another post ask for advice on all of this when all the parts have been received. You think that would work?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not as familiar with wiring the radio stuff, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

HMMWVNEWB

If you are running 12V equipment, you will want to use a quality 24-12V converter, like the Victron Orion series. You can NOT just hook 12V stuff to the rear battery unless your truck has the dual output alternator in it, which wasn't common in the 3 speed trucks.

Correct, if I stated otherwise it was a mistake. I may not know a lot but I do know that haha thank you guys. When I get all the parts I will do a mock set up with pictures and videos and see what everyone thinks before I actually connect everything. Seriously though I appreciate the info and the concern.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want the best, closest you can come to the military ones - the Oddyssey seem to be rated the longest lasting on this forum. I found them cheapest at Batteries Plus believe it or not. They had to be ordered but came in within a couple of days and they were fresh. They often offer a 10% off coupon so check for their promo codes.

Odyssey Extreme Dual Purpose AGM Group 6TL Heavy Duty Battery

I wanted ones that had the hutzpa to handle multiple winches. They are supposed to last the longest from what I have read here. They drop right in, but I replaced the terminals, the covers, and hold downs at the same time. I also installed a NICO dual battery trickle charger since often mine sits for a few weeks between drives.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want the best, closest you can come to the military ones - the Oddyssey seem to be rated the longest lasting on this forum. I found them cheapest at Batteries Plus believe it or not. They had to be ordered but came in within a couple of days and they were fresh. They often offer a 10% off coupon so check for their promo codes.

Odyssey Extreme Dual Purpose AGM Group 6TL Heavy Duty Battery

I wanted ones that had the hutzpa to handle multiple winches. They are supposed to last the longest from what I have read here. They drop right in, but I replaced the terminals, the covers, and hold downs at the same time. I also installed a NICO dual battery trickle charger since often mine sits for a few weeks between drives.

$720!!! And we need 2!

Walmart is looking better and better.

spankybear

I always get blems from interstate battery. The use to be 30 bucks each before Bidenomics. I get group 24s. I have 4 in the LMTV and 2 in HMMWV number 1. I have to get 2 move for the M997A2 and I think they are now 75 bucks... maybe more?

I also run blems in my daily drivers. I get at least 5 years of them and have had ZERO issues. YMMV...