• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A2 vs M109A3

Rodger

Hello All

I am looking for a truck to camperize. Currently we are using a Pinzgauer 712AMB and want something larger.

Can anyone explain the differences between a M109A2 and a M109A3 ?

Thank you
Rodger Kitt

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This topic has been covered before. If I remember correctly no...just the A3 was serviced more recently compared to the A2. A1 is a steak sauce. :roll:

goldneagle

All i could find on the subject was that the early M109's had 5 windows on each side of the box. Later they changed it to 3 windows per side. This does not explain the difference between the A2 and A3 versions. I will keep searching.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've wondered this too.

Presumably, the M109 is the gas powered truck. Likewise, the M109A1, A2, and A3 include the LD427 and LDT465 engines, with some other modification in there too. The M109A4 is the Caterpillar powered Allison Transmission version (M35A3 equivalent).

Rodger

I found this on a previous thread. (Thank you)
How do I tell which engine it has?

When built, the M109A2 was powered by the LDS-427 Multifuel engine. When the LD-465 was introduced to the series, the model number changed to M109A3 - and stayed the same with the introduction of the LDT-465.

Many (virtually all) of the M109A2 trucks have been repowered by the military with 465 engines, blurring the distinctions.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

goldneagle

I found this on a previous thread. (Thank you)
How do I tell which engine it has?

When built, the M109A2 was powered by the LDS-427 Multifuel engine. When the LD-465 was introduced to the series, the model number changed to M109A3 - and stayed the same with the introduction of the LDT-465.

Many (virtually all) of the M109A2 trucks have been repowered by the military with 465 engines, blurring the distinctions.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
Well that answers the question! I guess mine is now updated to a M109A3 since I have a new LDT-465-1D with 98 hours on it. :beer: :mrgreen:

Well that answers the question! I guess mine is now updated to a M109A3 since I have a new LDT-465-1D with 98 hours on it. :beer: :mrgreen:
Fella on another board says the LDS-465 was the last iteration of the series, that it was intended for the 5 tons but was put into some Deuces, and that it generates roughly 200hp.

I am not familiar with all the different engines put into Deuces, does this sound right?

LC

Last edited:

goldneagle

Fella on another board says the LDS-465 was the last iteration of the series, that it was intended for the 5 tons but was put into some Deuces, and that it generates roughly 200hp.

I am not familiar with all the different engines put into Deuces, does this sound right?

LC
The A1's had Continental LDS-427-2 ( built under the MANN diesel whisper engine licence ) Multifuel turbo engines, and 5th gear was an overdrive.The engines were not reliable. A2 trucks received the LD-465-1 non turbo, keeping the OD transmission of the A1s. Through the years the trucks were upgraded to LDT( turbo clean air)-465-1A, B, C. The turbo was added more to clean up the very black exhaust on the Non Turbo engines, than to add power, the HP was only raised from 130 to 135 HP. The LDT-465 D was the last version of the Multi Fuel, it had a Quieter Turbo ( non whistler )better head gasket sealing and head cooling.

The A1's had Continental LDS-427-2 ( built under the MANN diesel whisper engine licence ) Multifuel turbo engines, and 5th gear was an overdrive.The engines were not reliable. A2 trucks received the LD-465-1 non turbo, keeping the OD transmission of the A1s. Through the years the trucks were upgraded to LDT( turbo clean air)-465-1A, B, C. The turbo was added more to clean up the very black exhaust on the Non Turbo engines, than to add power, the HP was only raised from 130 to 135 HP. The LDT-465 D was the last version of the Multi Fuel, it had a Quieter Turbo ( non whistler )better head gasket sealing and head cooling.
Thanks, GE. Are you saying there is no such thing as a LDS-465 for the Deuce? I am pretty new, don't know a lot about what was in the older vehicles (or any of the vehicles, for that matter.)

But I am trying. :mrgreen:

LC