• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a2

Dukeman

I still haven't looked at the M109 yet, hopefully this week. But this weekend I had a chance to drive a M35A2. The guy on the beach next to us had one and he was way cool about it. Let me take it around the sand for a while. I looked that thing up and down. It leaked oil out of every seal, had a bad crack in one tire, seats were all torn up, but started right up, drove great and went through everything. We looked at a M35A2 for sale. The guy put some huge Goodyear tires on it. The two rear tires were literally maybe two inches apart. Is that a problem, are they too big? It seemed in good shape. He painted the cab red, not a great paint job, put a "Deuces Wild" graphic on the door. The rest was painted with bedliner. Tires were all brand new, new red seats, new red soft top. I would have rather seen someone do more mechanical stuff then just make it look cool. The right front wheel was leaking on the inside seal. Batteries looked new. Didn't get a chance to drive it, but I will call him today. It had 55,000 miles and 2600 hours. Is that a concern? I know it is more how it was maintained then how many hours are on it, but is that a lot of hours or not? Also, if I look at the M109 and it is the kind of condition the guy says it is and if I were to wind up with it, the box is not the most desirable situation for my intended purpose. Can the box be taken off and converted to a bed? Is there a market on this site for trading a box for a bed? Thanks for the help. I'm getting close, will for sure have one soon, just a matter of which one.

Last edited:
Well Dukeman, I'm relatively new here too, (been here since November or December) and from what Ive seen, there's a few deucers here who'd love to get thier hands on a 109 shelter box. Finding a trade seems like a good alternative, but your other option could be to remove the shelter box, set it on blocks and use it for storage or wait till an interested party comes along with some cash burning a hole in thier pocket and in the meantime just buy a stock deuce bed cheap. I usually see stock deuce beds for $500 to $650 depending on condition and who's selling it, but I'm planning to bob mine with an M105 bed, so I'll let ya have my stock bed for $450 (about the scrap price). It's got a lot of old thick paint on it and a tiny little bit of mild surface rust in a couple places (mostly underneath), but there's no cancer and no holes that I've found. If ya find yourself picking up that M109 and don't mind a drive to Southern California sometime soon, Let me know and you can jerk that shelter box, bag and bring your mounting hardware, and come get my bed before I send it to scrap. I'd rather see someone put it to use but I need the funds for the hardware I'll need to put the bobber together so if I can't find a buyer for it PDQ, I'll have to scrap it. As soon as I get my deuce up to my buddy's place and get the mounting bolts busted loose, I'll post an ad on here for the bed if someone doesn't hit me for it before then.
:driver:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is scrap really $22.50 a hundred weight in Cali? Here is's about $10 a hundred wieght so a bed is more like $200.

We don't even know if the M109A2 has a van body on the back. I had asked the OP twice in different posts and he largely ignored me.

Dukeman

Redbeard, I called the guy today and I won't be able to look at it until Thursday. I will for sure let you know on the bed.

Recovery, I apologize, I thought your questions were directed at someone else. I did not read them slow enough. Yes, the communications box is still on the back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks