• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m109a2

Draco-87

Just bought an m109a2 non-turbo! Looks like crap but the engine and drive are in top shape! just need to get the box van back on. The top has rust on it and some point through it. And yes pics soon to follow!

Haveittoplease

My retirement gift to me

M109A3-  12-10-2012 001.jpgM109A3-  12-10-2012 004.jpgM109A3-  12-10-2012 003.jpgphoto 1[1].jpgM109A3-  12-10-2012 005.jpgOf all the Duece platforms the M109a2 and a3 sre my favorite because of the different accessories you can install in the van. What I did today on it was finish a passthrough between the drivers cab and the van, measures 2ft wide and 34 inches tall , fold down the passenger seat and slip into the van.
To all that may know, whats the difference between the M109a2 and M109a3? Mine has the White 478 CI- D-turbo, no power steering and its a 5-speed. Beyond that I need some info on the difference?

Last edited:

41cl8m5

I believe the box is the same for the two models. The basic truck should be like the M35's, so the M35A1 would match up with the M109a2 and the M35a2 would match up with a M109a3. With all the different retofitting the military did over the years on these trucks anything is possable. With that said, the M109a2 should be a naturaly asperated motor (non turbo) and a sprage style transfer case depending on the year it came with a 24v 25amp generator. The M109a3/M35a2 came with the turbo multifuel, air activated transfer, and the 24v 60amp altenator again depending or year of manufacter. I have a 68 M35a2 now that I am 80% convenced was a M35a1 that was brought back to "Depot" and Updated to a M35a2. There are alot of clues that are leading me to think that my truck started life as a M35A1.

I drove a M109a3 in the military and the frame will twist off road and even alittle on road depending on how you are driving and conditions of the surface. Did you acount for some movement between the cab and the box with the passthrough?

Haveittoplease

I believe the box is the same for the two models. The basic truck should be like the M35's, so the M35A1 would match up with the M109a2 and the M35a2 would match up with a M109a3. With all the different retofitting the military did over the years on these trucks anything is possable. With that said, the M109a2 should be a naturaly asperated motor (non turbo) and a sprage style transfer case depending on the year it came with a 24v 25amp generator. The M109a3/M35a2 came with the turbo multifuel, air activated transfer, and the 24v 60amp altenator again depending or year of manufacter. I have a 68 M35a2 now that I am 80% convenced was a M35a1 that was brought back to "Depot" and Updated to a M35a2. There are alot of clues that are leading me to think that my truck started life as a M35A1.

I drove a M109a3 in the military and the frame will twist off road and even alittle on road depending on how you are driving and conditions of the surface. Did you acount for some movement between the cab and the box with the passthrough?
Yes I made a 4 sided open box with flanges on one side to attach to the van and the same box with flanges attached to the inside of the cab but the latter had flanges that rested into a square of slots 3 inches deep and the flange was 1 inch the contact is firmand free floating and it think this will allow for twist and up and down movement. At my age I don't ring my own bell but for a non-engineer it was a very simple solution a very strong it only bridges less than 6 inches. So far with 100 highway miles and a few tree stumps and 2 1/2 ft tall snow banks from the snow plows no movement(damage).

Most important you answered my question 2 ways I do have a M109a3 and thats why parts from M35a2 work on my 1971 white D-turbo, air activated transfer case and 60 amp gen.

THANKS FOR SOLVING A REALLY BIG QUESTION I HAD SINCE THE "BEAST" ARRIVED HERE JULY 3 2012

Last edited:

phil2968

Well a M109 and a M35 do have the same cab, chassis and drive train called the M44. Put a wrecker bed on your truck and it would be a M108. There are pipe trucks and drilling trucks and even fire trucks all built on the M44 cab and chassis.

Haveittoplease

Well a M109 and a M35 do have the same cab, chassis and drive train called the M44. Put a wrecker bed on your truck and it would be a M108. There are pipe trucks and drilling trucks and even fire trucks all built on the M44 cab and chassis.
I had the key difference explained the difference between the M109a2 and M109a3 is the a3 is a D-turbo the a2 isn't turbo charged and it sprage air actuated to engage front wheel drive. the generator in the a3 is 60 amp and in the a2 its 25 amp thats from '41cl8m5'
Now thanks to you I have the proper nomenclature for the cab,chassis and drive train.
My great appreciation for the definitions and numbers
Sincerely
one old man with one big toy

Emmett

Dunno about that. I have a M109A3 (USMC) and it has a normally asperated LD465 and the sprag Transfer....I know of another M109A3 (USA) that has a D turbo and a sprag transfer. Both trucks unmolested direct from DRMO.

Emmett

With that last post, I thought that the box was different...A2 has windows in both back doors where as the A3 has none. I'm sure there are other differences. It is important to note that the older trucks went through many upgrades through their lives to include transfer cases and engines. My 109A3 has the exaust that goes under the truck and out between the rear wheels where a fording exaust pipe goes up the side the of the box. Every turbo 465 I have seen and even some non turbos, the exaust goes up the side of the cab.

Haveittoplease

So what do you think the truck is. I know its a M109, it has a 60 amp generator and the front wheel drive is engaged with an air lever inside the cab. The engine is a 1972 or more than likely a 1971 White D-turbo. The back doors have NO windows. The exhaust comes up the passenger side of cab. I have a part number from the right side of block P/N 11642105. Somewhere on this site there's someone that if you give them numbers in the correct presentation,order they can tell you type or engine model. Do you know anything about that or about what I've listed regarding my truck?
Sincerely "now totally confused"
Haveittoplease

Last edited:

Emmett

Once again, engines are upgraded throughout the vehicles life. Does it have a data plate? What is the delivery date on that data plate? Are there any MWO tags on the driver side door jamb?
I don't think they made A2's after about the mid 60's but what do I know.

Haveittoplease

I'll look at the data plate and write down all the info. Is the delivery date coded or is it located as a 2 digit number in between other numbers on the block ID plate passenger side of engine?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It would be a very rare m60, the m108 is a bomb handling crane truck with just a flat bed and a crane,

Also there are TWO van boxs for the standard deuce, the m109 box AND the m185 box

Emmett

I don't think you are concerned with the engine data plate...the engine has NOTHING to do with weather it is an A2 or an A3 as far as I know....I have owned my M109A3 for about 20 years and have seen many sinse. There should be a delivery date on the vehicle data plate. should read something like 02-65 (feb 65). At the top is should read something like M109A3 WO/W and a Serial number. The last M109A3 I looked at came from the depot at Toolie (sp?) Army Depot where it was having the gas fired heater, either injector, and a few other items installed. It was never completed and sold via DRMO. I believe it was a MO National Guard vehicle.
Has a D turbo, Sprag transfe case, 60 amp alternator. I also think its delivery date was in '68 or so. Several MWO tags on the door jamb.
It is important to note that these vehicles are OLD and have gone through many MWO's to upgrade and standardize. For example, if the xfer case broke (common with the sprag type), it was replaced with the air shift type. Speedo's and Tachs were also replaced as they broke so, Just because it has 600 miles on the odometer dosen't mean it really had that on it....compare it with the hour meter on the tach.

wiggall

We have a 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2W/W I think that ours started out as a A1 or plain M35 As it still has the exast hanger between the right side duals, and the new exaust through the fender was torch cut rough!

41cl8m5

That was the point I was trying to get to with equiptment having 25+ years of service anything is possable at this point. My m35a2 has a sprag transfer and the front turn/marker lights really dont fit inside the hoops. I'm thinking the light I should have should be the round ones to fit in the sheilds/hoops. also the wiring in the back has been spliced in the field (at least that is what it looks like) so I have 2 brake lights and two black out brake lights, in the day these trucks only had one brake light on one side and the other was a blackout brake light.

The m109a3 I drove in the military had one big door and one small door one the back, the truck next to mine was a M185a2 and both doors were the same size, Now that was in the 80s and both were not new. My unit gave out passes if your truck was in tip top shape at inspection but also if you incorporated an idea the military had not that improved the mission aspect of the vehical. I put a rack on the front of the box mounted to the lifting points on the corner at top above the cab so I could leave the camo netting up there all the time sure was easer to deploy the net when it was already up there. I got 2 3day passes for that one and comand wanted a drawing of it to submit, Hoping to get permission to do it to all the shop vans. Guess the paperwork got lost, it was above my paygrade

Haveittoplease

M109a3 or what?

Once again, engines are upgraded throughout the vehicles life. Does it have a data plate? What is the delivery date on that data plate? Are there any MWO tags on the driver side door jamb?
I don't think they made A2's after about the mid 60's but what do I know.
I went out tonight with a light and all loosened up to crank myself upside down to read the data plate on the block. Now the plates original to the engine 99% sure because the plate is on the block with the original rivets.
Thanks in advance the MFG date and it said it just like that was 8-74 and the engine type is a LDT 465-1C.
I know a lot more than I did an hour ago...serial # 3907097 now does this tell you or anyone else engine type its a M109A3 its a D-turbo details for accuracy when ordering parts, thats just as important.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks