• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a3 -AC anyone installed a AC unit

digitaldust

Has anyone installed a air conditioning unit in there M109a3 ?

I'm wondering what it looks like.

Would it be better going with a wall unit on the front of the box above the cab?

would a roof top AC be too high ? for low bridges.

If you have pics please post them.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to search the M109 conversions threads. Both have been done. In the front, over the cab can be seen in the "A Different Kind of M109 Conversion".

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife and I use a roll around AC, and just run the hose out the little front door. We are going to go to a window unit in the front though, easier and doesn't take up floor space.

peashooter

Yeah going with the front window area is pretty easy. I ended up getting a 8000 btu ac unit from costco (since they have a never ending return policy). I made a frame in the window area for it and covered it with some aluminum panels. I ended up making a cover for the outside of the AC unit also that has a 24v linear actuator that lifts it up and down. The actuator was an afterthought as I was originally going to do it manually but once I realized how hard it was to reach that area I put the motor on.
A cover has come in nice. The fins on ac units now are soooooo thin, they bend if you just look at them wrong. Also I found I would get leaks after heavy rains and if the truck wasnt level. Also added a drain tube running down so that it doesn drip on the cab anymore.
Like magneto said get enough cooling capacity. I quickly realized why almost all RV's are white....they get blazin' hot in the sun otherwise. It takes a fair amount to keep these things cool. I'd recommend looking hard for the highest BTU capacity you can get that will fit in the window or whereever you put it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Prankster

I have two lines of thought: you could use an A/C unit from a RV, or a camper. I would sit nicely on top of the cab, and it is not too hard to install. Then there is always the boxy Reefer unit. It runs on its own fuel supply. It seems the term overkill is what these trucks will need.

n2ojunkie

Travis I have a roof mounted unit, not sure if it needs recharged or not but its complete. I changed my plans and I am going with a window unit. If you want it call or text me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks