• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Floor Tile-Bad idea?

Scrounge41

I did use the search function and didn't get any hits so here goes. I am thinking about using ceramic floor tile in the box of my 109. I have the opportunity to buy some 24x24" tiles at a good price, and I would like the convenience of being able to mop out the back. My fear is that the box may flex and crack the tile. Right now my floor (as I got it from GL) is covered by a grid of 2x4's on the flat with 3/4" plywood on top of that. To tile it I would take out the 2x4's and screw the plywood to the wood floor/liquid nail over the wheels, install Hardibacker, and tile. I know the mounting bolts on the box have springs on them to reduce the effect, but I don't know if it would be enough. I thought about backing a rear corner into a ditch and checking the floor with a long straightedge. My other alternative would be to use a commercial grade vinyl, which is probably a better idea. Any thoughts?

135gmc

You would do better with either vinyl flooring, or vinyl floor tiles. I'd be hesitant to try self-adhesive tile, though - a trowel-applied adhesive would do a better job of handling the uneven floor.

Any ceramic tile would crack when the box flexes at all - your only hope with ceramic is to use very small tiles, and latex in the grout. If the grout cracks, any water would get to the steel floor, and open the door to rusting. You might be able to use an underlayment membrane to prevent rusting, but the flexing would still be a real problem.

Rodger

I used rubber gym floormats in mine. They are soft under foot, and for an old dog when jumping off the chair or bed, and can be removed and shook or hosed to clean. Also cheap.

Rodger

muddog

Tile one a floor that flexes will either crack or work loose. You will have to use a expoxy type grout for it to stay in the joints providing the tile does'nt come up. I would look for something more suited for the floor movement.
Harold.

rossM4

The truck bed coating you can get at auto zone, I think its called herculiner that stuff is really good. I'm not sure how the price differs from the other options. Good luck.

jesusgatos

Here's a link to the laminate flooring that I put in mah deuce. Would not recommend it. Doesn't seem to handle expansion/contraction very well when things have to sit on top of it. Buckles and shrinks. Probably going to end up replacing it with a large sheet of linoleum or something.

Clay James

I used red oak, engineered floating floor from Home Depot. It has stayed where I put it so far. Its the snap locking stuff which makes it super easy to install.

Attachments

Clay James

Yeah, but I haven't noticed it expand at all. It actually fit perfectly. I didn't have to trim any off the last row I installed. I might have to chisel out some small areas where the tongue of the last row is close to the frame of the box, but it's not rubbing so far. Sometimes things just work out.

RECONJON

I just went through the floating floor headache. It was not the top of the line, from Home Depot and worked well on the garage floor. However when installing it in the box, it did not go as easy, and getting installed planks to stay locked while installing additional planks wasnt too easy either. I did start with a hard floor, new 3/8 over 1/2 plywood on top of the new steel floor. I got the floor in and settled, took a 25 mile ride over the highway and into the city> When I arrived and opened rear doors, it looked like a freshly shaken jigsaw puzzle. Hit the flooring center and got a very nice remnant for about $100.00. Nice heavy duty with pad vinyl roll, looks nice, resilient, easy on the feet and easy clean. I measured cut and installed in 15 minutes, still needs the border molding but thats waiting for the cabinet, sink and stove install. Now some of my difficulty with the floating floor may be tied to my lack of expertise, not inexperience, I have some. After weighing the experience I feel the Vinyl is a better option, I had wanted the heavy rubber gym mat, but that was almost $700.00 for a roll big enough, and 200 lbs heavier. Good luck with your install. They look really nice as some of these pics from other members floors have shown. Nice Job Guys!

Attachments

zout

We installed the floating flooring as well on top of the 19 ply plywood flooring that was installed after the old flooring/metal/tarp paper was removed. The foam was placd on top of this as well then the flooring.

Not one issue and many a thing has hit that floor and not one dent in it. Washes easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks