• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 from Gatesville, TX to San Antonio, TX

terratek

Won an m109a3 on gp, no clue if it's running due to conflicting information in the inspection.
This is my first time filling out an EUC, so i am not sure when I will need transport.

If anyone is in the area and can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck has been relisted a few times, first time was Feb this year which is when the photos were taken. Plan to haul it home, not flat tow, all the 109s up there have been sitting near 20 years so expect a lot of PMCS before operating on the road. Do plan to bypass the FDC, replace fuel lines, bleed brakes (they may have gone soft by now), inspect the tires thoroughly, drop the fuel tank for rust removal, and possibly replacing the HH (hydraulic head) O-rings and possibly key in the IP. All the 109s I've gotten out of that yard were cranked for inspection by GP with no prepwork breaking or fracturing the IP timing key and it's a PITA to replace. Otherwise she looks like a solid truck and congrats on the win. Get her home safe, the EUC will fly by in no time.

terratek

Noticed after I posted in this section that there is a gp/gl section, probably should have posted there.
EUC paperwork has been emailed, gp said it looked good and they will send it in the next batch.

airbornebandsman:
Thanks much, will update when I know more

fuzzytoaster:
Why would I need to drop the tank for rust removal? I mean the fuel gauge states it should have just about a full tank of water :p
Seriously though, I figure it's going to need a lot of work (hopefully I am wrong), but I really wanted the van body.
Unfortunately, when it is time to pick it up, I will have a small window to work with. I have been doing home healthcare for my dad for the last few years (100% va disabled) and can only get out of here when I have a nurse to cover for me.
In the very worst case scenario, I may have to see if I can find a place to park it up there until I can schedule a couple of days to work on it and drive it home via back roads. How would I tell if the IP timing key has sheared?

98G:
That's the one.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fuzzytoaster:
Why would I need to drop the tank for rust removal? I mean the fuel gauge states it should have just about a full tank of water :p
Seriously though, I figure it's going to need a lot of work (hopefully I am wrong), but I really wanted the van body.
Unfortunately, when it is time to pick it up, I will have a small window to work with. I have been doing home healthcare for my dad for the last few years (100% va disabled) and can only get out of here when I have a nurse to cover for me.
In the very worst case scenario, I may have to see if I can find a place to park it up there until I can schedule a couple of days to work on it and drive it home via back roads. How would I tell if the IP timing key has sheared?
If the key is broken it wont run at all, if the key is about to break it will run..until it breaks. I was told my upper GL management that that yard is expanding their pickup days beyond just Wednesday but haven't been there in person to confirm this change. You may be able to have a tow truck pick it up and tow it to gatesville and work on it there, but really finding someone with a goodneck to haul it home and work on it at your own pace would save you a lot of possible trouble (also the satisfaction of having it home). As for the tank it may be full of "deuce flakes", they're kind of like frosted flakes but with 10,000% daily dose of iron. There's no substitute for scraping the crud out of the tank, I had to do it to two of the trucks I got before they'd even run.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has the radiological survey been completed on it?

I had won that one and waited 6 months on an EUC before being informed that the rad survey had to be complete before the EUC would even begin. They were unable to commit to a 2 year timeframe so I got a refund. They promptly relisted the truck...Hopefully the rad survey is complete or you'll be in the same position I was in.

I was at Ft Hood last week and physically put eyes on it (from a distance). I don't think you want to drive it. Everything there seems described very optimistically. The "running driving" Truck I went to pick up wouldn't roll, even when dragged by towbar. I aborted my recovery.

terratek

fuzzytoaster:
Good to know, figured it would be something like that. As far as tanks are concerned, I have had to clean my fair share of them. My favorite was the motorcycle tank that, when de-rusted, perfectly leaked gas from 50-60 pinholes showing exactly where the water line was. The worst so far has been the cn-40-a, when it rains the tank fills up and overflows. Figure at this point it's more a fuel trough than a sealed tank.

98G:
No clue if the rad survey has been completed, guess I will find out in 6 months ;) As for condition, I have heard much the same as you state. Right now I am "cautiously optimistic".
I bought a 94 f250 turbo idi that was described as a dependable daily driver. So far I have replaced glow plugs, need to replace the injectors, injector lines, return lines, all filters, exhaust from the downpipe to the end, get a new transmission oil pan, and fix all the wiring that has been spliced with quick splices, duct tape, electrical tape, and yes even scotch tape. On the plus side the PO also somehow managed to short out the trailer connectors, rear lights, and not hook up all the transmission wires when he disconnected the banks shift kit. Pretty sure the axle seals are blown as well since it looks like it was buried in mud at some point and the rear drums have fluid leaking out. It did drive home though, with one headlight sort of working.

Tornadogt

Terratek I have a number of a local hauler who could most likely do the pickup on a lowboy... I would wait to call until you have a cleared EUC though it could take a few months...

terratek

Tornadogt:
Thanks for the info. I'll shoot you a pm if I need the info or update here if it turns out the rad survey hasn't been completed.

Guess my next order of business is to find a few hours to work on the rv and f150 to get them out of here and clear up some space.

terratek

Talk to JWade on here, the Rad survey was suppose to be taken care of before they relisted those trucks.
Contacted JWade and it looks like the survey was done before the relisting. Will need to contact customer service for SF97 as I didn't get the option for one during checkout, but so far everything is looking good.

terratek

Welp, it's been a couple of months and I just received notification that my EUC cleared. Looks like my last day to pick her up before storage charges kick in is 01/13/17.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Tornadogt: may end up needing that number after all

Tornadogt

Phone number of the transporter is 210-803-0569. I wouldn't worry about the posted 01-13-17 pickup time frame, that is automated figured on the site being open 5 business days a week. Because they are only there on Wednesday you have however many "business days" that they are open to pick it up. There is no assistance for loading so confirm the transporter has ramps and a winch to load the truck. also let the transporter know the total height of the M109, it is a bit taller than a standard M35.

terratek

Thanks Tornadogt,

I contacted the transporter, received a fair quote, and unfortunately he is unavailable on the 18th.

So it looks like my options are:

1) head up on the 18th, get a jump and move it 1.5 miles to an rv storage
2) same as 1 but get a local towing company to take it to the storage
1 and 2 give me some time to go through and do any minor maintenance as I usually only have a limited amount of time I can be away from the house, and usually it's on weekends.

3) keep trying to find someone to tow it down to san antonio

Unfortunately the majority of bids I have gotten for transport are in the $10 per mile range and my budget is around 600

Last but not least...
4) take batteries, my fuel water separator transfer setup, oil, water, gear oil, etc... Rent the storage space to do an inspection and top off any fluids, and drive it back

terratek

Update:

The person I sold my RV to gave me a number for a broker he uses on occasion, managed to get a pickup scheduled with very little notice, and my truck is on it's way here now. Price was slightly more than I had budgeted, but the sale of the RV covered the extra. So in 3-5 hours I should have my truck here and unloaded.

As an added bonus, it did start with a jump and stopped under it's own power.
Once it is unloaded here and I get it into the yard, I will be making sure the fuel pump works, doing full fluid/filter/belt changes, and then letting it sit until i have time to go over the brake system.

Thanks again Tornadogt and 98G for the info and support, and thanks to airbornebandsman for offering to help move it before your 5ton grew an extra vent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks