• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Leave Spring Saddle Removal Question

Taurus454

I am replacing the leave springs on my 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M109A3. I am following the procedures in TM 9-2320-209-20-3-2, paragraph 17-6, starting on page 17-29. I have removed the four bolts on the U-bolts with no problem. The next step is to remove the saddle and I can not get that thing off. I am looking for ideas. I am sure there is an easy way but I do not know what it is.

I tried tapping on the U-bolts with a hammer but do not want to damage the threads. I will try and put a 2x4 under them and hit it the board.

My next step is to put a pry bar in the saddle and beat up on the pry bar with a hammer. I thought of putting a come along underneath with a bar across the metal slats of the Shop Van but I don't think the metal slats are thick enough to pull up.

I am sure some there are some smart guys who know how to do this real easy and am asking for help.

Thanks in advance to all the helpful replies!

peashooter

So you are trying to get the spring saddles off the front axle? You have the nuts off the u-bolts, have you jacked up the frame or spring to separate it from the axle at all? The leaf spring has a stud in it as does the axle that fit into holes on the saddle. When I removed mine I had to jack the spring up a couple inches to get clearance to remove the shim. Do you have a picture of the problem area as it sits now? I'm probably not understanding your issue correctly.