• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Medic/ Ambulance conversion?

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a shop van being used "and painted up for use as" an ambulance or the like? Reason I ask is the wife wants to paint a big red cross on the side of one of the 109s.

Rob

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure there's been one somewhere. With over 100,000 deuces made, there has to be every version the mind can imagine!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I am with 99.9999999...% certainty the 109 has never been used as an ambulance or mobile surgical facility since the mid-80's. Before the mid-80's, not sure but doubt it.

The 109 was a part of the maintenance section within the C Company of the forward support medical companies in armor and mech infantry divisions. This vehicle would not carry a large red cross on the sides.

The 5 ton expando vans were used as mobile surgical and dental suites within the C Companies. All of these that I have seen were 900 series 5 tons. There's one up for auction on GL starting in a week or two. Even then, no large red cross.

The decision to display the red cross markings is at the discretion of the battalion commander. If he chooses to have the vehicles marked they are protected by the Geneva Convention (yeah right) but most either choose not to mark them or modify the markings to assist in camouflage. I've seen red crosses on green and tan backgrounds and also the red in the cross replaced by black. Markings are more commonly applied to actual ambulances and not the support vehicles. My C Company had all ambulances and our M577's with red crosses but I don't recall any of our other vehicles having them. My medical platoon in the armor battalion I was in had red crosses on the M35 doors front bumper and rear tailgate. I'll try to find and post some pictures when I get a chance.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: M109A3 Medic/ Ambulance conversion?

medlog said:
I am with 99.9999999...% certainty the 109 has never been used as an ambulance or mobile surgical facility since the mid-80's. Before the mid-80's, not sure but doubt it.
I still have the chassis of an ('58?) M109 gasser that was used as a dental suite or there-like. To bad I sold the box for cheap, it was perfectly well preserved!
At the backside it had a very sturdy fold down platform and inside there even was a kind of waiting room or reception!
The rear bumperettes are much longer and square, made of heavy flat iron. I think it was to support the platform when folded down. The aluminum latter was the same as all.
Outside, the box was painted blue (Air Force?) and I don't remember any special markings or red cross painted on sides or roof.

Gerhard

FrankUSMC

In one of my books there are photos of the WWII 6x6 (CCKW) van body with Red Crosses on it. One is a Dental truck and the other one is in a medical unit.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

FreightTrain

Banned
I saw a 5 ton expando van body painted up in solid nam green and a big red and white cross on the sides.It was at Shortys several years ago(Well before the Yankee Hord invasion).It may have been on a chassis but I am not sure.I know there was all kinda stuff inside of it.It is long since been shreded.