• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m109a3 start failure

grouper

went to crank the m109a3 this morning and heard a popping sound. I checked the battery box and discovered a burned cable connecting the two batteries, I think its called a dog bone cable. I'm not good with electrical problems. Any ideas as to why the burned cable end would be greatly appreciated.

jdr2710

It might be as simple as a loose connection on the battery terminals. With the amazing amount of current flowing during cranking it doesn't take much resistance to cause problems. I had a system that did exactly that a few years ago, just a little amount of resistance on the terminal and as I drew 400amps through it, it produced enough heat to melt the terminal off of the battery. All I was left with was a puddle of lead where the post used to be.

Good Luck,

Jeff