• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 with fuel problems

yarry23

Hello all,

I am in a bit of a bind. Took my lovely Deuce to the desert, and on my way back it has started to give me some serious issues. It is basically acting like it is starved for fuel at times.

I suspect it is either the lift pump in the fuel tank, or perhaps sludge in the bottom of the fuel tank. Sometimes she will drive for hours, no problem, and then she might suddenly die on me.

Anyways, I have made it to Jackson CA, and am getting ready to try to get back home to Santa Cruz tomorrow, and I was wondering if there are any pearls of wisdom I might be able to pick up from fellow members.

Thanks!

~~yarry

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure to check your filters and make sure they aren't clogged. I'd start there first then work your way through the fuel system.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, Santa Cruz is probably one of my favorite places on Earth, spent three weeks there a while back......very jealous!

Anyways, the in tank pump has no purpose at all in a primed operating system. So, if you have enough fuel, you could run without it forever assuming you don't lose prime, which you will with filter changes.

I took oil out the sump/pump combo and it was really full of sludge. I used two cans if brake clean to get it all off. Also check the rubber line for any holes. Does it work better when the tank is full? That may be an indication of sucking air in the tank.

Most of the rest of the lines are hard lines so not likely a leak in those.

Hope per you make it ok, stuff like this is rarely more than a small thing.

yarry23

Any concern of busting the gasket on the fuel filters when I take them off? I am far from home, and don't want to make the problem worse. I feel you are on to something though.

Sorry for my short replies, writing from my phone.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
O rings?! No, no Orings on the deuce fuel filters.

They are flat gaskets and CAN break. If you are going to buy filters at a parts store, you can buy the correct gaskets too. The napa number is listed here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

yarry23

Yes, if us stop for a few minutes, she will usually start up again. Is it possible to simply remove the primary fuel filter, then clean it and replace it?

I'm not sure Jackson will have spares....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To help us understand , How long have you had the truck and have you ever changed the fuel filters? Do you have any experience working on the truck?

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't inspect fuel filters, to see if they are clogged! If you take them out, you change them PERIOD. The primary is a strainer type thing (for the big stuff), - it can be washed out, and replaced. You should carry extra fuel filters with you at all times. If your fuel is contaminated, the filters can be re-contaminated, in a few hours of running, hence the need for new filters! Fuel can be a pain, so the fuel system & keeping it clean, is something to watch out for, always. You will want that in tank pump to work. Just because you hear it running, doesn't mean it works!

Jeepsinker

That's true. You should open the bleeder on top of the secondary fuel filters and turn the master power switch on to see if you get fuel flow. You should get a solid geyser of fuel with no air bubbles. Otherwise you should pull the fuel pump from the tank and check/ replace the rubber hose on it.

yarry23

Hey guys, can't thank you enough. Made it to Santa Cruz intact. My primary fuel filter was the culprit, and had a solid wall of sludge on it. Luckily Napa had the parts and I was able to effect the repair.

Will post photos later.

Jeepsinker

Glad you got it fixed. Be sure to drain the water from your filters once a week or each time you drive it, whichever comes first. Obviously no reason to drain them weekly if it hasn't been started and ran.

yarry23

I promised pictures, so pictures you shall have. Reader be warned, they are pretty nasty. Honestly, it's a testament to over engineering that this guy drove at all.

IMG_20141115_084307.jpg
...when I first took it out.

IMG_20141116_093558.jpg
...the entire side is crud.

Luckily the Napa parts store I made it to had an appropriate filter for me to use. Part Number 3511 btw. I did notice the Napa replacement part had a larger inner diameter for the support pole to go through than the original, but at that point I was in no position to be picky. It seemsed to work well enough for me to make across the Central Valley and back to Santa Cruz.

I had replaced all of the filters (or so I had thought) and fluids when I did my front end a year and a half ago, and hadn't driven her more than on a few local camping trips since then. I believe what must have happened was that I replaced the secondary and final fuel filters, but somehow managed to miss the primary completely. *face palm*

Anyways, I have decided to make it a priority to go through the entire fuel system and make sure everything is up to snuff. I plan to replace the rubber fuel lines (they had been rubbing against each other) and perhaps figure out some way to clean out the fuel tank as well. I noticed my truck has been running a little rough since my mistreatment of her (also not surprising). I am figuring I should probably replace the spark plugs, as perhaps I fouled them in the process. Any other suggestions?

Also, thanks again for this amazing community. I was definitely in a bind, and you guys came through with the right suggestions to put me on track to getting my Deuce fixed and me back to my family. I also learned the importance of carrying backup filters for everything before driving into the desert. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks