• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3

gbooth

Hi all I am a new Member and I will soon take delivary of a 1968 M109 Shop Van. At present I already have a 1952 M38A1 and a 1969 M274A5. The 109 will need a motor change as the one in it has a Hole in the side. The good part is that it comes with a spare motor. Whwew is a good plase to get Multifuel parts? as I would like to go through the spare and fresh it up some.

Thanks

Greg Booth

MVPA 24369

1952 M38A1

1968 M109A3

1969 M274A5

Desert Rat

Greg,
Where do you live? Could you please add this to your sig. please? I could probably help you better if I know.

gbooth

Ok I hope that I have this right. I live out side of Kansas City. Next week WE take off for Duluth I hope to find some of the information I need there

Thanks

Desert Rat

Gbooth,
I'd love to see pics of your M274A5. I have a data plate for one. I also have an idea about what one looks like. Any truth to a power tailgate?

As far as parts go, ask Saturn, our sponsor.

Dieselsmoke

Desert Rat said:
Gbooth,
I'd love to see pics of your M274A5. I have a data plate for one. I also have an idea about what one looks like. Any truth to a power tailgate?
Power tailgate? M274A5 is a Mule if I'm not mistaken :confused: Of course, there are some rigs that use the same designation number like the M109A3 shop vans and the M109A3 self propelled gun :smilewinkgrin:

Desert Rat

Ken,
It's at your place waiting to be stamped. I'll have 'Storm there Saturday so we can stamp in the numbers. Please don't forget the stamp dyes!!!

gbooth

[2]Ok Guys Thinking out loud here my 109 is parked a bought 50 miles from my shop. The motor has a hole in the side as big as your fist. Except for spare parts this motor is junk. What if you took and pushed the piston and broken rod 3/4th the way up the cylinder and J-B welded a patch over the hole, plugged the injector line, filled up with oil and drove it home. Now before any body gets riled up I am just thinking out loud.[/2]

rdixiemiller

I have seen crazier things done before. It would vibrate like all get out. You would want to make sure the piston could not work it's way back down and get into the crank. You would also want to make sure the broken rod on the crank was not going to hit anything.
I would just put a small, gas fired air compressor in the back body, run an air line to the tap under the dash, and have someone tow it with a dually. 50 miles would not be bad if you can steer and run the brakes in the truck. Run a heavy chain through a piece of pipe to connect the trucks and take off!
Of course, be really cautious about doing this. It will work, however.

gbooth

[2]Like I said I was thinking out loud. The barn it is parked in there is sitting next to it is a 5 ton wrecker with the whole set up (tow bar. chaines, boom) He will tow it for gas (3-4 mph). It is just the time frame that Bites[/2]

[2]I have a 1 ton truck and could take back roads all the way also.[/2]

rdixiemiller

That's what I was thinking. Get a buddy and a truck and have at it. I would get one of those little "nail gun" compressors so you would have brakes. That makes it relatively safe. The chain through the pipe keeps you from eating the back end off of the tow vehicle.

gbooth

Ok Guys Ben busy on the truck since my last post. I have pulled down the spare motor and it looks REAL good on the inside has the LDT pistons and all, Worked this Saturday and with the help of a fellow club member we pulled the old motor out of the truck, Used a 2 ton Cherry picker It was a job but we now have it setting on the floor. I will start striping the parts off the take out motor install new gaskets and change over parts on new motor next. If all goes well I will be ready to install in bought 6-8 weeks. 8)