• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a3

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't do a recovery driving through 5 states with no money. You will end up abandoning your truck and getting hefty fines. At the very least you will need an empty credit card for emergencys. I went on one trip and kept eating alternator belts. If I had to replace one set, I replaced them 16 times. Unknown troubles like this will pop up and if you can't get the truck off the road on your own, a tow will be NO LESS than $500.

BAZYRKYR

If you stay on 95, there aren't many tolls to pay. Take the loop around Richmond to avoid that one, take the loop around Jacksonville to avoid traffic congestion. That puts you into the DC area with only food and fuel expenses (unless Murphy decides to ride along). Be collecting phone numbers and scanning the member maps for FL, GA, SC and NC to see who might be available to do a rescue if you break down.
Well isn't that cool....I did not know there was a member map. Its also really cool finding a place where people socialize and in a jam are willing to help each other. That is not typical of forums I've been too....at least to to this level. Where exactly is that map at?

Lextreme

Awesome thread. I am looking a similar Shop Van for my desert camping along with a M105 Trailer. I plan to sleep in my Shop Van and shower and toilet in the M105. Keep pics coming...

BAZYRKYR

I made it....not 5 states but 6. I decided that I was gonna hit some pawn shops and surplus stores in military towns and when I hit Parris Island I was dead tired and because it had been a decade since I was last there I decided to get a hotel and check things out in the morning. I stopped at a little store called "Der Teufelhund. After realizing there was not much to look at I asked him about the shops on my way back to Maryland and this guy told me the "best & fastest way" to get to a place called Saigon Sam's that I wanted to stop at and like an idiot I listened to him and I followed 17 "all the way up" and I ended up in Tennessee. So after an additional 5 hrs and a full tank of Diesel I was back on track. It took way longer than it should have but after 3 and a half days I finally got the M109 home. I also wasted a lot of time trying to find a headlight because they were not all working as the seller claimed. After wasting money trying to rig up something I decided to take my chances with a burnt out light. But after 1200 miles (supposed to be 850-900 mile) I'm back. Now its time to sleep for the next week.

The roof of this beast is almost in line with the bottom of the 2nd floor window sill.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks