• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a4 /a3: Reducing rpms, gaining speed / tranny / gearing solution & crowd sourcin

ZombieRV

M109a4 /a3: Reducing rpms, gaining speed / tranny / gearing solution & crowd sourcin

Hello,

If you have an m109 with a Cat 3116 and Alison 1545at:

In regards to going slightly faster, with the main objective of dropping the rpm's, and i am talking about only doing 55 on a mostly flat/mostly straight, major freeway lol... I have read the threads... bloody all of them.
I have spoken to Alison Tranny, Michelin, & Overson.

My solution...
The work & costs involved in trying to swap engines & trannys that Won't fit without major adjustments isn't worth it.
The simplest fix is changing the differential gears in those lovely top-loader Rockwell axles and adding 395 tires.

***Overson said they would be willing to manufacture a custom gearset near the 5.95 range, for the same price of their 4.95 sets... $1,200.00 each, if at least 15 sets are ordered.
That's 5 people ordering 3 sets each, or 8 people ordering 2 sets each. If anyone wants to order let me know. I'm in.
Probikestorage@gmail.com

The stats:
- Drop the short shaft to the rear wheels = 1 less gearset needed, plus slightly less drag. Still leaves a kick arse 4x6.
- 4.95 is too low (rockcrawler ratio) for a 12,000 pound truck. 5.95-ish offers just enough speed increase/reduction of rpm's.
- 395 tires add to the speed increase ratio that matches the 5.95 gear, but also offer a higher weight rating, which when combined with their 55 mph speed rating, it gives a good window of safety to do 60 mph for a brief period if required to pass another vehicle. Run flats help avoid rolling it IF there is a blowout, as the truck only drops approx 4" instead of 8"...plus drive to the nearest shop / no tow needed.
- Alison has no 'tall' or OD gearset for the 1545. Basically nothing else will fit without major modifications due to engine size and bell housings. Most brownie boxes are too big. If a total retrofit is required with welding and frankenstein modifications you could end up with an insurance issue, via the configuration not approved by any Ministry of Transport.
- Would I go 55 on the original 14.5 tires? Heck no. Lower weight/speed rating plus all the blow-outs reported, no thanks.

*Currently my M109 does 56 mph @ 2750 rpm, loaded for camping with 20 gallons of water and a mini atv.

Overson says 5.95 would be 55 mph @ 2390 rpm. 60 mph @ 2608 rpm.

My 109:
- Alison 1545 with Dextron 3 oil (as per Alison).
- 395 tires with run flats (also act as bead-lock safety). Run at 55 psi for highway use to get maximum tire diameter. Fresh tires yield 46" diameter. (55psi for 60psi max rims).
- All tires balanced with "Balancing silica beads"... not pounds of added steel weights. BB's keep the tires balanced at All speeds.
- front lockers (manual). Less drag.
- disconnected rear short-shaft. Less drag.
- no issues with the drum brakes / stops fast enough, but will add front disk eventually.

So if anyone else crazy enough wants to spend $2,400 plus tax to get the revs down... let me know. I figure it's easier then replacing a blown 3116 pos.

Thx

Jeepsinker

Much cheaper to start with the spicer five speed from behind a multifuel, and drop in a waterloo overdrive kit. I can run around 70 mph in my truck with that kit and 11.00r20s. I could even push it faster, but I have no desire for a blown engine. The spicer trans can be put behind the 3116, without Frankenstein mods.

Just about nobody I can think of here would spend that kind of money on gears from Ouverson. Not when you can spend it on one overdrive kit and not mess with any of the axles.

Last edited:

ZombieRV

Thanks for the info Jeepsinker.
Unfortunately when they upgraded these units they pulled the multifuels. If / when this new Cat with 400 miles blows i will look at a multifuel. Lol ya i know the gears is way too much $.

Out of those i talked with / in the posts i went through it seemed no one could comfirm that the Spicer would mate to the 3116's bell housing. I will re investigate that option as i was checking that out before.
*Please post the tranny model number if it is a specific one you mention or the top gear ratio if known. Thx. (0.9 or .73?)

Others had commented that due to the 12,000 lb weight of the 109, the multifuel's hp would be an issue trying to go faster via either larger tires or an OD gear / lower 5th. (Whereas with an m35 was no issue, especially a bobbed one.)

Engines and parts are scarce up in Canaduh.
Rather than pull a new engine / modify & install a 5 speed... the gears are pricey but simpler.
They charge import duty now on all parts coming accross the border now too, & well our parhetic dolar doesn't make it any easier!
Thanks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's no way I'd give up a drive axle for higher top speed. The other side of the coin is that you're going to loose what little takeoff it had as well. I'd do a transmission/engine swap before I'd plunk down $$$$ to reduce gearing. Just seems like a trade off to me, and little in return.

Jeepsinker

The spicer 3053a will mate up to the 3116. It may need the reducer ring from the bell housing on a multifuel, and it may not. Could bolt right up. One way or the other, it will fit. The spicer 3053a, with an aftermarket 5th gear made by Waterloospecialties has a final drive ratio of .69. I have this installed in my M35, which has a curb weight of 18K pounds, an it pulls it just fine, even up hills.

I wasn't suggesting pulling the 3116 and replacing it with a multifuel, only replacing the transmission.

ZombieRV

Thanks for the info Jeepsinker. Finally, someone with a working MV, instead of those just speculating in so many threads that there would be issues with the conversions.

I agree the loss of a drive axle is a poor solution, but trying to get the tranny up here will be a mission indeed. For me... two small Purolator boxes of gears seemed my last resort.

So... who's got a Spicer 3053a for sale?
Guess i will be calling all the usual US yards!

Thanks guys

Jeepsinker

I have a couple of spare transmissions. Let me know what you come up with, and we can make a deal if need be. Of course, I could install the overdrive kit in it before shipping it, or you could buy a brand new transmission with the kit already installed for... $3000 if memory serves. I only have a good used takeout trans that I could install it in. Check out Waterloospecialties.com.

Jeepsinker

I will add, there is no point in the swap unless you do install the waterloo kit. The stock 5th gear ratio is only .89. Marginally better than direct drive at best.

red

.79 is the overdrive ratio on the 3053a.

Considering the extra torque from your CAT 3116, the 3053a will have a shortened life because your past its torque rating. The Spicer 6453 from the m809 seriesa 5 tons has a .78 overdrive and will fit easily, rated to handle your torque as well.

Jeepsinker

3053 will hold up fine. The LDS doesn't hurt them, and it has the same power. That big 5 ton sucker is just too big and heavy, and long.

Excuse my mistake on the factory final drive ratio.

ZombieRV

Just to add the info to this thread for reference:
In case anyone with a bobbed unit / a multifuel / stock tires... who wants to keep all that as Original is interested:

I did find another differential gearset of 5.41 from Gear Hart Engineering.
That's a lot better than the 4.95 from Ouverson, but still not quite the 5.95 i calculated as optimal ratio for my situation with the Cat 3116/1545 at.
Plus they want a crazy $2200.00 a set.... so nooo way.

Changing over to a Spicer is still the best idea in my case.

Cheers

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the info Jeepsinker.
Unfortunately when they upgraded these units they pulled the multifuels. If / when this new Cat with 400 miles blows i will look at a multifuel. Lol ya i know the gears is way too much $.

Out of those i talked with / in the posts i went through it seemed no one could comfirm that the Spicer would mate to the 3116's bell housing. I will re investigate that option as i was checking that out before.
*Please post the tranny model number if it is a specific one you mention or the top gear ratio if known. Thx. (0.9 or .73?)

Others had commented that due to the 12,000 lb weight of the 109, the multifuel's hp would be an issue trying to go faster via either larger tires or an OD gear / lower 5th. (Whereas with an m35 was no issue, especially a bobbed one.)

Engines and parts are scarce up in Canaduh.
Rather than pull a new engine / modify & install a 5 speed... the gears are pricey but simpler.
They charge import duty now on all parts coming accross the border now too, & well our parhetic dolar doesn't make it any easier!
Thanks
3053 WILL bolt right onto the 3116 in the A3. you need the obvious, a good used 3053 trans, flywheel around $200 new and clutch around $200 new plus some small bits from a donor A2 for clutch linkage. all in all a simple swap to do.
I have 2 trans in stock, one is completely new with OD installed the other is a 5000 mile takeout that had almost everything new when i started using it.
as for the capacity of the 3053, yes it was designed for 300 ft lbs torque but there is a huge safety margin in OLD designs. they have been used behind cat 3208, there is one on a cummins 8.3, and i have one behind my 9.0 twin turbo. both trans are on ebay.

Last edited:

quickfarms

The 4.95 gears with the stock tire diameter would be a nice setup since the truck has an allison in it.

An improvement would be the MT643 over the current allison.

If you want a stump pulling first gear use the MT653.

The navy specified 4.88 gears, allison MT643 and low pro 22.5's. Mine runs 58 mph

rustystud

The 4.95 gears with the stock tire diameter would be a nice setup since the truck has an allison in it.

An improvement would be the MT643 over the current allison.

If you want a stump pulling first gear use the MT653.

The navy specified 4.88 gears, allison MT643 and low pro 22.5's. Mine runs 58 mph
The MT643 is way to long for this application. They are meant for the 5 tons.

quickfarms

The MT643 is way to long for this application. They are meant for the 5 tons.
The 5 tons used the MT654, this is an obsolete trans with only limited support by allison and costly parts.

As long as the AT1545 locks in 3 and 4 it would operate the same.

The AT1545 is 27.2" long 302 lbs SAE 3

The MT643 is 30.4" long 478 lbs SAE 2

The MT653 is the long and heavy one, 36.2" long 602 lbs

HanksDeuce

I don't see a 4.95 gear set option for the Rockwell axle on the Ouverson website. They do show a 4.90 gear set though - click here.

I'm actually thinking about installing the Ouverson 4.90s and their 16 spline lockers in my bobber. The 4.90s would put 55mph at ~1800rpm which is 13% better BSFC for the Cummins 6BT than running at 2500rpm (.3395 vs .391 lb/BHP-hr). My 6BT is the B5.9-190 which makes 190HP and 475 ft-lbs as listed here.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks