• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101/1102 modification

Newmexico

Hello gents, im new here, I purchased a trailer not sure if it's an 1101 or 1102. I wanted to add 2ft to the tail end to fit my utv, comes in at 1700lbs with a full tank. Thoughts? I also can't seem to figure out the data plate. Previous owner attempted to remove paint and rubbed off most of the lettering.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1101 and 1102 are exactly the same, the designation pertains to the towing capacity of the towing vehicle rather than the trailer (which is something I'll admit I have never understood the reasoning behind). So, for your purposes it really doesn't matter what model you have.

Attached are a photo of one of my data plates for you to get the information from, and the section from the TM concerning designation.

Cheers

Data plate 2.jpg3 differences.JPG

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting a two foot Cantilevered extension on the bed will cause a number of issues. The center of gravity will move aft which will take weight off the pintle depending on how much weight is in the redesigned bed.

It also comes down to the weight of the towing vechicle to deal with the loads. If you will "just" be hauling a UTV in this trailer and the towing vechicle is at least a full size pickup you may be ok.

Heavy loads for a M1101/M1102 would be off the table and certainly heavier at the rear. The welded extentions to trailer frame will be interesting. Shame you have to fundamentally change a fine piece of metal. If you go this route please share pics and info.

Mark

Newmexico

Here is a pic of the tag, it doesnt say U.S. Property on the lower portion all I can read is manufacturing co Inc on the top and of course the vin and other stamped members, ill try and upload a picture of the trailer

20231214_145943.jpg

Last edited:

Newmexico

my utv wheel base fits on it as is but just barley, it's a Kawasaki teryx4 which has a center mounted engine putting most of the weight in front of the trailer axel and on the lounge, ill be towing it with a 3/4 ton gmc just for local hunts nothing that would put me on major highways just back roads.
I have a car hauler but it's overkill for my utv and horrible on dirt roads. I picked it up pretty cheap I think for 500$ from a gentlemen who purchased at auction but never had paperwork nor registration.

20231205_164026.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah! Not an M1102 cargo trailer, but an LTT-MCC or an LTT-HC! Basically the same 1102 frame and running gear, used for generators and other specialty items. There are a bunch of variations to these. That should make it easier for you to balance your vehicle load and maintain the proper CG and tongue weight.

Here is the data plate for one of mine. Same gross weight as an 1102, but higher payload capacity since there is considerably less bodywork. Your trailer must have had 100 pounds of frame or boxes on it, so a slightly higher empty weight than mine which is a flatbed.

Cheers

Data plate 3.jpgdata plates 4.jpg

Last edited:

Newmexico

Ah! Not an M1102 cargo trailer, but an LTT-MCC or an LTT-HC! Basically the same 1102 frame and running gear, used for generators and other specialty items. There are a bunch of variations to these. That should make it easier for you to balance your vehicle load and maintain the proper CG and tongue weight.

Here is the data plate for one of mine. Same gross weight as an 1102, but higher payload capacity since there is considerably less bodywork. Your trailer must have had 100 pounds of frame or boxes on it, so a slightly higher empty weight than mine which is a flatbed.

Cheers

View attachment 912773 View attachment 912779
Great info thank you so much for that, im really taking a shine to the trailer, im already looking for a longer version. I've seen some pictures online but aren't easy to find at auction. If it doesn't work out for my UTV I can always repurpose for collecting firewood or hauling an atv

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a longer one, look for DRASH units (heating and airconditioning). Some of those are from a little bit to a lot longer.

I got this one to haul my M274 Mule behind the 5-tons, it is one of the longest versions with a GVW of 6000 pounds. It is designed for the LMTV trucks, so a bit big to tow behind a pickup, sits nose-low behind my M1028. But you could retrofit a taller adjustable pintle mount to make it tow flat. Or better yet, get one of the slightly smaller ones designed for the Humvee.

Cheers

1 - Copy.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be a good size. I don't remember the designation and failed to take a photo of the data plate.

I regret not buying that one, but it was more than I wanted to pay at the time. :cautious:

Cheers

drash - Copy.jpg

Newmexico

If you want a longer one, look for DRASH units (heating and airconditioning). Some of those are from a little bit to a lot longer.

I got this one to haul my M274 Mule behind the 5-tons, it is one of the longest versions with a GVW of 6000 pounds. It is designed for the LMTV trucks, so a bit big to tow behind a pickup, sits nose-low behind my M1028. But you could retrofit a taller adjustable pintle mount to make it tow flat. Or better yet, get one of the slightly smaller ones designed for the Humvee.

Cheers
This one would be perfect, I could fit the utv and a couple of large coolers back there and still have tons of ground clearance! My gmc sits pretty tall on 33s and a level kit it might be just right for it. I'll definitely start looking, maybe I can sell the one I have while I search for a DRASH unit

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks