• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Bearing set

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm removing the entire surge brake system and going to electric brakes on one of the 1101s. I Found the correct brakes that should fit this hub. Someone did it and posted pictures on etrailer. If not for that, I'd be searching still for brakes.

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Brakes drivers side https://www.etrailer.com/p-23-458.html[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Brakes passenger side https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-459.html[/FONT][/FONT]

Since I'm pulling hubs, might as well spend the money on good new bearings and be done with it.

I have searched here for over an hour, on the rest of the web, and come up with something that's probably correct for an outer bearing, but nothing conclusive on the rest.

I am in a time crunch. The trailer has to go Antelope hunting and I don't have time to re-order parts.

Does anyone have the part numbers for seals, race, inner and outer bearings? I understand it's a common bearing, but I can't find any part numbers.

Thanks.

DeadParrot

Page F-25 of tm-9-2330-392-14p has a list of hub parts numbers. Found this site: http://www.truckpartstrading.nl/2011/webshop/en/132-m1101-?p=2 that shows bearings. One part number matches the TM the other doesn't. Looks to be a EU site but might give you some leads. When I was looking for bearings for my M101A1, had similar fun. Even with valid part numbers, matching those to the Vendor's computer numbers can be interesting. IIRC, one of the M101 bearings showed up in Autozone's computer as for some kind of VW vehicle.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that. That could be very helpful. I believe these axles and bearings are very common, but that doesn't make the part number easy to find! I'm going to call etrailer. I read somewhere on the net that they were able to assist someone with bearings on a M trailer. So, let's see if they can!

I love the M1101. It's my favorite trailer. I'm going to leave one of mine stock, and convert the other to an adventure style trailer. I am halfway, (well maybe 15% of the way through) a roll bar, elevated pipe roof rack type of contraption.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All bearings if not destroyed have standard industry numbers on the cups. All brands use the same numbering.

If you post the bearing cup number and race number, I can give you the S set number.

Seal is a little more tricky as there are many oe and mfg numbers but c/r has a great website to cross reference but I can help with that also.

Post and I will see what I come up with. In another lifetime I was a parts guy for 20 years :)

I would not buy anything at Autozone without looking it up myself online before going to their stores. In the last week I went to 2 different stores. I asked for a water outlet thermostat housing and a front dust grease cap for old school rotor. Counterman where absolutely clue less what they were, did they sell? , and had to call managers to help. Sad!

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Juan.

I just removed the hitch assembly. After looking at it for a few seconds, a relatively easy plan came to mind on how to lower the hitch and keep the surge brakes. Ridiculously easy plan too.

I am going to explore this option. It is not that difficult once you see how simple the system actually is. Push this plate and it will engage brakes.

Basically a sliding hitch that rides under the tongue that has a push rod or plate above tongue that engages plate (100 ways to design it that give the same results.)

What it is now is a sliding hitch that rides above the tongue. And it's a sloppy hitch too! Ever grab one and wiggle it around? I'm surprised it isn't more noisy in tow.

I am still going to repack/replace my bearings as i have about 20 hours to go on them on this trip and do not want to be stuck in TX panhandle or NM with a busted M1101. I want a spare set to have along as we have three between me and a buddy.

Sharky1528

I have been looking for this info as well... Not sure why the bearing and race and seal numbers are a National Secret for the M1101/M1102's ??

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No secret at all, just a bit tricky to find the correct numbers: Go to TM 9-2320-392-14&P, Fig. 7

1) Outer (small) bearing: Item #4A is the bearing cone and item #5 should be the corresponding cup or race. But when googling their respective NSNs a discrepancy comes up: #4A is said to be a 14125A but then, for #5 (NSN 3110001005997) it gives the whole specs for what would be the entire bearing set, not just the cup. And surprisingly, it refers to the cone as being a 14124, not a 14125A. The only difference between those two is the cone corner radius. #14124 has the smaller 0.0310"-radius which is what we want since this face goes against the flat washer (#4). The cup can be found in the bearing catalogs with the number 14276.

So if ordered as a set it should be the 14124/14276.
(If 14124 was not available then 14125A/14276 would also work, of course).

2) Inner (large) bearing: Going by this (poor) illustration, part #7 should be the cup for #7A being the cone. The cone is a 25580,no doubt (it has the large 0.140"-corner radius which is correct, here). But then again, with the cup's NSN, Google brings up the specs here for the whole bearing set.
After a quick look into the bearing catalogs there is only one option: 25580/25520 when ordering as a set.

3) Seal: Here are the specs. Timken's corresponding seal number would be 412920, which is a std nitrile, double lip seal.
The specified width of 0.423" may be hard to find but 0.375" will work just fine.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well done! Thank you for this. Hopefully, future searchers for this bit of info will find it here!

I am about to swap out my brakes for electric, and put in new seals and bearings if needed. The 1101 is such a cool trailer, I want mine to preform well, and ride level without running a 16" tall hitch plate. Thus the switch to a hitch mounted under the tongue, instead of on top of the tongue, thus the ditching of surge brakes for electric. Thus the need for new bearings.

Thats a lot of "thus'"

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The idea of this thread was twofold. Get the Bearing set for M1101/M1102 for me, and provide the info for others.

I made a public shopping list on Amazon that you can locate. You can go to Amazon and search for the shopping list M1101 M1102 Wheel Bearings

And you will get these 5 items. This was made easy by gringeltaube, with his excellent work on researching these bearing sets.

NormB

The idea of this thread was twofold. Get the Bearing set for M1101/M1102 for me, and provide the info for others.

I made a public shopping list on Amazon that you can locate. You can go to Amazon and search for the shopping list M1101 M1102 Wheel Bearings

And you will get these 5 items. This was made easy by gringeltaube, with his excellent work on researching these bearing sets.

Following this thread out of curiosity as I JUST bought an M1102 Silver Eagle (1998, IIRC) and I can‘t for the life of me figre out how to find THAT shopping list. Amazon.com wants a user name or email.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must have done it wrong because even I can’t find the list. I can tell you the numbers, which are also listed above. Amazon is kind of good at directing you what to buy next, but I noticed that it did want you to buy one of the one that gringletaube said not to buy.

Someone can can correct me if I’m wrong but I think this is the correct list. These are the Amazon item titles, so, it should take you to the page, I use the app, so, it doesn’t have links.

Timken 25520 Tapered Roller Bearing Outer Race Cup, Steel, Inch, 3.265" Outer Diameter, 0.7500" Cup Width
Timken 14276 Tapered Roller Bearing Outer Race Cup, Steel, Inch, 2.717" Outer Diameter, 0.6250" Cup Width
Timken 14124 Bearing
Timken 25580 Axle Bearing
Timken 412920 Seal

I just bought a pair of seals in preparation for installing electric brakes, in hopes all bearings would be ok. I didn’t get around to touching the trailer before the Antelope hunt. Barely made the hunt as is! (But I did, and the place was sick with nice big Antelope).

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Norm! It’s always a fun hunt.

I think I fixed the Amazon issue. Search for Amazon customer Buffalobwana and the list should be there.

NormB

Thanks Norm! It’s always a fun hunt.
I think I fixed the Amazon issue. Search for Amazon customer Buffalobwana and the list should be there.
No joy. Can't get there from here (where I'm at). Odd.

But I DID pull the caps, jack up wheel and bearings feel FINE, grease is clean, white, like it had the job done before being sent off to sit for a couple years before auction.

Looking for brake HOSES now (all three rubber), and that's getting interesting.

Thanks again.

Norm

tbaits61

Thanks for that. That could be very helpful. I believe these axles and bearings are very common, but that doesn't make the part number easy to find! I'm going to call etrailer. I read somewhere on the net that they were able to assist someone with bearings on a M trailer. So, let's see if they can!

I love the M1101. It's my favorite trailer. I'm going to leave one of mine stock, and convert the other to an adventure style trailer. I am halfway, (well maybe 15% of the way through) a roll bar, elevated pipe roof rack type of contraption.

Did you even complete the lunette ring lowering for your M1101? Any pics? I just bought a trailer and pulled it back from Austin. My Land Cruiser is stock heigth andI used the PO's pintle and hi-rise receiver. It is bent about 30 degrees...! Looking for solutions... I'm in Plano BTW, love to take a look at the trailers!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you even complete the lunette ring lowering for your M1101? Any pics? I just bought a trailer and pulled it back from Austin. My Land Cruiser is stock heigth andI used the PO's pintle and hi-rise receiver. It is bent about 30 degrees...! Looking for solutions... I'm in Plano BTW, love to take a look at the trailers!
I did. I put a 2.5” receiver hitch in place of the drop leg. That took 60 lbs off the tongue. I made a lunette drop hitch that worked out great, then I built a 3 axis coupler that is super quiet. Not that it’s necessary, I just wanted the challenge.

JTK

I'm removing the entire surge brake system and going to electric brakes on one of the 1101s. I Found the correct brakes that should fit this hub. Someone did it and posted pictures on etrailer. If not for that, I'd be searching still for brakes.

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Brakes drivers side https://www.etrailer.com/p-23-458.html[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Brakes passenger side https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-459.html[/FONT][/FONT]

Since I'm pulling hubs, might as well spend the money on good new bearings and be done with it.

I have searched here for over an hour, on the rest of the web, and come up with something that's probably correct for an outer bearing, but nothing conclusive on the rest.

I am in a time crunch. The trailer has to go Antelope hunting and I don't have time to re-order parts.

Does anyone have the part numbers for seals, race, inner and outer bearings? I understand it's a common bearing, but I can't find any part numbers.

Thanks.
I found the complete set needed on amazon:

TIMKEN 25580 25520 14125A 14276 Bearing Seal Grease Set for 7000-lb Trailer Axle
Brand: TIMKEN

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks