• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Breakaway Brake

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to heavy trailers, and military trailers. I recently got an M1101, and I'm slowly trying to understand all of the safety features and make sure everything is working as expected.

It's a 2010 Silver Eagle M1101.

How difficult should it be to pull the breakaway brake cable and activate it? I tried just pulling on it by hand, and nothing moved. The breakaway lever appears to have notch in it and the notch is trapped in the spring. (Looking at pictures of OTHER trailers, this seems completely normal, but I expected the breakaway to move.)

How much force should this take? And am I risking damaging anything by trying to verify it's working?

(Regular manual brake levers are working, and the tongue brake seems to be working fine based on driving it home.)

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you also checked the brake fluid? Keep in mind the military uses DOT 5 so if its low make sure and get the correct fluid or drain the whole system and put in what you want. I have never actually tried to use the break away lever on mine as my brakes work as they should. Post some pictures if you have them.

em2b96p

I also just got a trailer and was wondering the same thing. I drove my trailer 7 hrs in this position because I didn't know anything about this breakaway system.

Today I replaced the brake fluid with DOT5 purple stuff. I read the TM and it tells you to pull on the breakaway cable until the breakaway lever is in the locked position secured by the leaf spring (This is where mine currently is and how I bought it). Then later it tells you to disengage the breakaway lever from leaf spring.

How do you do this? I've tried pushing on the leaf spring towards the rear with a flathead to get it out of the notch and it's really tough. I don't want to break anything.

Also, how much brake fluid am I supposed to put in? I don't see a full or low mark anywhere in the reservoir.

20231202_121053.jpg20231202_121056.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks