• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Fire Set Up

DUBLR

Just got 1994 M1101 at auction. Purpose was fire set up. Wanted to get tank out of my truck bed. Was not sure what would work or would not on trailer. Also how it would handle 2500 lbs. Leveling was a concern.
Report: very impressed with the robustness and sturdiness of this trailer. Just cutting off military 10 plug took some doing. Used the raised hitch upside down. Leveled perfectly on 1 ton Ram.
Chains seemed short but don’t bind. Same with pigtail. All the lights work! The surge break works well! Handles the load really well. Note this is used in dirt road area in the hills I live in, Northern NV. Will never see a highway or be licensed. This is the setup. Fire hoses and foam kit in storage box.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great setup

Hard to tell from pics, but it looks like the IBC tote needs secured better to the trailer itself.

That’s a lot of water weight and the bouncing around in your area could cause load shifting issues.

DUBLR

Great setup

Hard to tell from pics, but it looks like the IBC tote needs secured better to the trailer itself.

That’s a lot of water weight and the bouncing around in your area could cause load shifting issues.
Thanks. I've got it secured with ratchet straps bottom of cage to the tie downs in the floor. And I'm not done up top. Bracing with wood as well. Very familiar with the weight and shifting issues when was in my truck bed and had to head off road.
Not planning anything too far off kilter with this. I did test it out gingerly at first and was really surprised how stable it is when i got to some off camber areas.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I've got it secured with ratchet straps bottom of cage to the tie downs in the floor. And I'm not done up top. Bracing with wood as well. Very familiar with the weight and shifting issues when was in my truck bed and had to head off road.
Not planning anything too far off kilter with this. I did test it out gingerly at first and was really surprised how stable it is when i got to some off camber areas.
Those are well built trailers and actually overbuilt for their rated capacity in my opinion. Love the tie down rings in the bed. Just wish they had lash points on the outside like the older trailers did.

DUBLR

Those are well built trailers and actually overbuilt for their rated capacity in my opinion. Love the tie down rings in the bed. Just wish they had lash points on the outside like the older trailers did.
Roger that on the outside lash points. Though works perfect for current my app. This is my first exposure to Mil equipment. Overbuilt or built like they should be!

Aside from the pintle clanking a bit totally impressed. Between the auction and hitch I'm into this $1500. HUGE VALUE! Old but it all works.

Big surprise was how well surge brakes work. Tires are 1994 but no weather stress. Was worried about the leveling conundrum. Was able to use Curt upside down and notch pintle a bit so tailgate handle does not get crushed. No worries not highway legal or registered. Won't see over 40 mph.

Question on brakes. Raised and spun wheels. Both have slight rub/catch rotating. Minor. Assuming this is parking brakes adjusted a hair tight? Yes love those brakes...wow. I was planning on no brakes let alone parking brakes!

IBC's were free or close to it and real stout based on a lot of hauling. The trailer hardly knows is has 2500 lbs on it...handling, tires, all.

CURT 48341 Adjustable Pintle Mount for 2-Inch Hitch Receiver, 10,000 lbs, 11-1/2-Inch Drop, 10-Inch Length

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0448.jpeg
They ride surprisingly well.
(Old Fire Finder Radar Trailer modified by Raytheon).

I took this setup, full of water and Dawn dish soap, all over rough dirt roads and the ranch itself to agitate the water for a good cleaning inside.
Worked very well.
(Edit; Picture shows full tank, but the tank was only half full during the mentioned drive to get maximum agitation)

This picture made me rethink my earlier post of suggesting OP make sure it was tied down well.

My setup is also intended for fire/power washer and while it looks very sketchy, didn’t budge.

OPs setup will work well.

Last edited:

DUBLR

View attachment 899371
They ride surprisingly well.
(Old Fire Finder Radar Trailer modified by Raytheon).

I took this setup, full of water and Dawn dish soap, all over rough dirt roads and the ranch itself to agitate the water for a good cleaning inside.
Worked very well.

This picture made me rethink my earlier post of suggesting OP make sure it was tied down well.

My setup is also intended for fire/power washer and while it looks very sketchy, didn’t budge.

OPs setup will work well.
That's a very cool setup! Was looking for chassis at one point.
Juanprado, tires are in surprisingly good shape. I need their flotation. No plans to lower. Its all dirt road activity and will barely get used in fire season we hope! No baffles however in did stuff in 25' of 4" drainage pipe. Made a big difference when hauling IBC in my truck bed when not 100% not full. This IBC is full and I don't feel any sloshing or movement when I stop. I am gauging by feel and watching when towing with my 3500. It looks squirrelly but is surprisingly stable which is why I posted in the first place. I had no idea what to expect. I've tested on some ditches and hit road erosion spots hard ...no instability.
This is new setup up have not finished securing yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks