• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 hitch modification

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Interesting. I have a question on this. Was the problem that the spare tire hit the pintle? By chance I had a person ask me today about towing an M1101 with a jeep wrangler. I though a 1101 was a little big for a wrangler.

maxtor

No, the surge brakes do not work with this setup.
Yes the trailer pulls fine with the Jeep. The M1101 has an all aluminum bed, and only weighs 1,460 lbs. empty. The Jeep four door can pull a 3,500 lb. trailer. Jeep two doors are limited to 2,000 lb. trailers.

The problem was that the trailer did not ride level when pulled with the pintle setup.
Even with loading the trailer with 2,000 lbs of load, it is still under the maximum the Jeep can handle. Also it can now be pulled behind our Ford F250.

What is nice with this setup, is that the ball hitch is mounted with three half inch bolts. Remove the bolts and put back the lunette ring, and you are back to stock. A five minute job.

Last edited:

R Racing

I think if u slot the mounting bolt holes so there elongated I believe you could get the serge brakes to work. Just use the bolt near the pivot arm as a standard hole so it could pivot back to apply the brakes.

Last edited:

maxtor

That is an option, but my plans are to use electric brakes if I need them. Our 2012 Ford F250 has great brakes and could handle the maximum weight of this trailer with no problem. When pulling with the Jeep, it will hold extra water, fuel and some camping supplies. I would guess about a maximum of 500 lbs. So the total weight with supplies would be at or under 2000 lbs. No extra brakes needed for that weight. Our Jeep is a 2014 with excellent brakes. Here in Kalifornia the speed limit while towing is 55 mph. Most people do 60 mph. Again, no problem stopping at that speed.

Last edited:

WRMorrison

Looks good. I'm picking up an M1101 to pull behind my 4-door JK as well. Hopefully, mine will be at least close to level since I'm lifted 2.5" and on 35's. I've also got to build a custom hitch for the Jeep due to my aftermarket bumper choice...

-WRM

maxtor

Looks good. I'm picking up an M1101 to pull behind my 4-door JK as well. Hopefully, mine will be at least close to level since I'm lifted 2.5" and on 35's. I've also got to build a custom hitch for the Jeep due to my aftermarket bumper choice...

-WRM
One thing to consider is to purchase a ball hitch that extends beyond the spare tire on your Jeep. My original stock hitch is not long enough to clear the spare, and release. An extra two to three inches does the job.

WRMorrison

One thing to consider is to purchase a ball hitch that extends beyond the spare tire on your Jeep. My original stock hitch is not long enough to clear the spare, and release. An extra two to three inches does the job.
I don't run a spare on the back; it's inside the Jeep with me (at least for now). At some point, I planned on running an ORF swing-away carrier though, so I'll keep that in mind. However, if the trailer and vehicle hitch line up ok (since I'm a bit taller than you), I shouldn't have to worry about sticking out past the spare, right? Since I won't have a need for the vehicle hitch to be raised up.

-WRM

309213_334074103351482_282341425_n.jpg

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling a trailer is one thing. Stopping it is completely, another (many get the two parts, mixed up). Disabling a functioning brake system is insane. If your ever involved in an accident, where a death or injury is involved, I'm sure that you will have the opportunity to explain in detail to the injured parties, how you did the above, and saved money, with your shortcuts! Your State laws (far above other States), spell out in detail, a drivers responsibilities.

maxtor

Pulling a trailer is one thing. Stopping it is completely, another (many get the two parts, mixed up). Disabling a functioning brake system is insane. If your ever involved in an accident, where a death or injury is involved, I'm sure that you will have the opportunity to explain in detail to the injured parties, how you did the above, and saved money, with your shortcuts! Your State laws (far above other States), spell out in detail, a drivers responsibilities.
If you would have read closely, you would see that we are in California, and they do not require trailer brakes for this size trailer. Also there is no problem stopping this trailer with our pickup or Jeep with the weights I will be carrying. Also if you would have read my posts, you would have seen that the modifications were to make the trailer ride level, not save money. I could have left it stock for a lot cheaper than modifying it.
Sheeesh...Try reading before you post.

Last edited:

maxtor

I don't run a spare on the back; it's inside the Jeep with me (at least for now). At some point, I planned on running an ORF swing-away carrier though, so I'll keep that in mind. However, if the trailer and vehicle hitch line up ok (since I'm a bit taller than you), I shouldn't have to worry about sticking out past the spare, right? Since I won't have a need for the vehicle hitch to be raised up.

-WRM

View attachment 501808

I am not sure about your setup. Without the spare tire back there, you should not have a problem.

maxtor

I like the M101A2 trailers better behind a 4 door jeep.
Yes the M101a2 trailers are great for Jeeps. I wanted the extra capacity of the M1101 when pulling with our F250 truck, plus I can still pull M1101 with our JKUR.
I agree, that a trailer for just the Jeep, the M101a2 is a perfect fit.

John Galt

The good news is electric brake conversions seem possible for these trailers without an axle swap. 250 FRN could get brakes back.

101s and 1102s are close in weight. I tow a 101 w/o brakes all over and plan to do an axle swap to electric brakes soon. Lately though, I have been pulling an 1102 with the surge brakes an notice a significant difference while stopping. Tow vehicle is a toyota tundra.

charger53

I have a 4 door wrangler, Just picked up a 1102, but I think ill be level if I just swap the wheels to 16" dodge wheels. My pintle hitch is only a 4" rise.

charger53

8 inch lift kit on the Jerp may do the trick too. Lol
Im all about it!!! The wife says "you have a dozen cars and trucks, go play with them and leave my jeep alone!" She has claimed it and wont let me turn it into a toy. It was her idea to make the trailer fit the jeep, so she can "haul stuff" when I am not using it ;)

maxtor

Where there is a will, there is a way. I added a 2 inch hitch to mine and still kept the lunette, so I could pull either way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks