• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Pickup/Transport considerations

cyclic

I've already painted my rims in black. Looks good. I also plan to mount the spare for it under the rear of the trailer bed. Since I'm only running 265/75R16 tires it will fit behind the axle and in front of the rear marker lights no problem. I'll either go fixed or try to find a decent priced cable style from a newer truck.

wvu dodge

December 03 2014
I must have read through hours of threads on this trailer and I am thankful to all thread posters. It really helped me with my decision to bid on this great green iron!
Called ahead and found the staff and officers at Ft. Pickett VA to be of great help. When I arrived they also followed through with courtesy and respect and were of most help. Never did I get a feeling that I was not wanted or in their way.

Pulled the trailer out of the stack and proceeded to hook up the temporary tow lights purchased from Harbor Freight. Make sure you get the correct side placed before your start tying them down! Dummy me. The mag mounts worked fine but I still zip tied them down. On to the safety chain. Being as I had to use an extension to clear the spare tire on the Jeep, I knew from previous post that the safety chains would not be long enough. I purchased 4ft of 3/8 chain to thread through the safety hook up holes part of the Jeep hitch leaving the two ends available to hook to the existing trailer safety chains. I took some chain quick links to hook to the existing trailer safety chains. The trailer safety chain hooks were to big to hook to the puny 3/8 chain, hence the quick links. I did not see the need to test the parking or regular brakes as it was coming home with me regardless. I felt that this empty trailer was not too much to stop with the Jeep. I was more concerned about a stuck brake or bearing issues with a 75 mile tow ahead of me. Stopping often to check for heating issues and home I go with a uneventful trip.

Sure I had a Jeep full of tools, zip ties, electrical tester, bottle jack, 3lb hammer, gorilla tape and the like, but where I failed to realize is how screwed I would have been if I had to do some tire or bearing work. The girly man bottle jack would not have come close to what I would have needed to take a tire off this beast. I am not even sure if a farm-all jack would have done the job in the height department. So be sure to add a significant amount of cribbing to your pack list. You can see in the pictures how I was able to tackle the pintle height via a trip to Northern tool. The Jeep has shown a 12 inch riser with a bolt on pintle receiver.

Paperwork in Virginia requires a "Trip Permit" from the DMV to the tune of $5.00 and the rascals only make this good for 4 days! The folks at the base gave me a number to call for help with the titling of this trailer and I will be sure to continue the post on that and future findings as I progress this into my "Bug-Out" "Zombie killing platform"!
Just hit me after the 2nd or 3rd time of reading this thread to look at the newest posts. But your pictures from Post #1 show the lunette ring on the trailer upside down. Don't know whey its like that or who flipped it, but turn it over and you'll gain 3 or 4 inches in elevation. I have never seen one flipped that direction, don't know whats involved to flip it back, but certainly disconnecting and reconnecting the master cylinder piston/actuator.

cyclic

Holy popo, your right. Once he flips it back to the correct side he can see just how much better it is already.

It was probably behind a duce or 5 ton, and some mil mechanic thought it would best to flip the ring.

wvu dodge

Holy popo, your right. Once he flips it back to the correct side he can see just how much better it is already.

It was probably behind a duce or 5 ton, and some mil mechanic thought it would best to flip the ring.
haha, yea it surprised the **** out of me that I was the first to point it out. You know what they say, it takes a village to raise an idiot...or something like that. Glad to be able to contribute.

jimqbaum

I had no idea that the lunette ring was in upside down. I thought that after looking at another jeep hook up that mine was sort of pointing downward.
Got it home and took it apart and that's when I noticed that it was in upside down. I don't know a **** thing about surge brakes, but it did not take me but 30 seconds of looking at this situation, that being upside down renders the emergency brake function if not the surge brakes entirely inoperative.
Quite easy to take the lunette ring off. pull out the pin and slide it out. Be prepared for two spacers to fall out that align the shock absorber that is inside the unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks