• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101

michaelc

Outstanding Forum. Just bought my first M1101 and this site is great. Going to pick it up at Fort Polk. Now if I can just get a Deuce an 1/2 without the wife knowing I will be good. Proably should look at ones in green so the wife does not see it sitting in the back of the lot.

Retired Navy Senior Chief

glassk

ment to say it pulled well with my swb silverado, what are you towing with, if you don't mind
side  bef.jpg
that was before i got a riser for pintle hook,
I saw one in Perry and had to have one
still not level but better
pintlesa.jpg

michaelc

Glassk,
I have a 2003 Ford F250 2 wheel drive, with a 7.2 international diesel. Had the truck since it was new. Plain on going this Wednesday to get the trailer, about a three hour drive from North Houston. Trailer has the cover already installed on it, think I will remove it to tow.
I went to Northen Tool and got the Ultra-Tow Pintle Receiver Adapter — 12in.L x 2in. Square Shank and a 5 ton pintle hook. The hitch reciever on the truck sets at 16 inches from the ground and with the 12 inch long adapter that will put me at 28 inches from the ground. So I am thinking I should be really close to being level.
Still need to work out the trailer lights, but I think to pick up I will go like everyone else has and put mag tow lights on and zip striped them down to get her home. After that I can play with the wiring, thinking about opening the junction box and disconnecting/removing the 12 pin plug and put new connectors and wire from that point to the truck trailer connection. Really hate just cutting the plug off. Any suggestions you are anyone else has would be appericated.

glassk

intervehicular cable.jpg

the trailer end connectors are right under the front edge, My plan is to replace with flat 4 one and cable for now and keep the original with trailer. This is for a friend to use so just changing bulbs and no changes that can't be reversed.

Temp lights that you know work and magnets help, I have an extendable pole to help take off cover, undo velcro on bows and then the pole will help in pushing up and off to front or back. I'm short and the covers won't slide when pulled. the ring is about 26inches high so normal folks with normal trucks it is just right. and your spare may fit it also

116a1 6 lug.jpg
working on my M116a1 changed to 6 lug to match my spare , put a coupler on and have more to do on it,

michaelc

I with you, I will proable never use the 12 pin plug but like to keep things orginal as possible. Are you going with reg auto blubs or you going for led's ? The pole is not a made idea. Like the M116 trailer, and I know what you mean, are we ever finished.

glassk

going with regular bulbs on 1102, 14 marker lights

now my 116, I replaced the blackouts with three leds (36 lumins each module) and wired for backup lights, and used two for running and five for stop and turn in the gutted housings , GL was nice enough to make sure they bent them so I had excuse to take them apart, plus they look better to me than Buying new leds,

leds.jpg

m116A1.jpg

That is the one I have, sold the wheels and can holders and the front leg swivel.

found out that the bud wheels 5 on 6 7/8 bolt pattern not real common so put a 4 inch drop axle, cut the shock mounts and put them on and 6 lugs for stock chevy wheels

Think Hurricane Camille almost made it 200 miles inland to Smiths Station, AL . I have the Distibution box and lights / outlets fo 60 Amp and a Mep002A . You need a generator and some TEMPER tents to , then you have a reason for the truck.

michaelc

Ya, I looked at the LED's but that is alot of lights to buy. I still working on the truck and just found the for sale part of on this site. Like the generator. The wife keeps saying no for now, but the generator has got her thinking. We both grew up here and we too know how it can be without power. We were orginal looking at one of those ones at HD, Gentic for about 3 grand until I found the govt surplus, and started thinking why not buy something that is over build (the way the govt always does) and should last alot longer. I am looking at a couple that are in your neck of the woods, MS. They have not open yet, but looking. Seeing that you have more experence than I what would one except to pay for one with out having to pawn a kidney. And the chances of one running from the start ? The listing for them never say if they run or not. The one I am looking at is a 10w with only 60.3 hours on it and mounted to a trailer. Have very little experence with generators so this is whole new area. I was a aviation mech in the navy, so I know a thing or two.

glassk

It's like I saw in a Post on here,

How big is a Rock,...?

I have bought a lot of things, Paid $990 plus fees about $1100 gas and .lunch and all going to SC to get it, looked at and started taking notice of what I thought they would close at and what they sold for, , one with two low hour 10Kw's this had cover and the M116A2 $2500- I guessed about $200 above that but would have stopped at $1700 if I was bidding----watch a few at several places and guess what they will sell for, . I looked at many sales and this one just looked right, $500 for trailer $5oo for gen. needed one battery and all filters and it has 18hrs on it makes power in all ranges .

Storeman redoes the important stuff and sells them or will help get people that have one the right things to fix them, lots less risk and chance for her to say I told you so,

I have lots of Junk that has came off GL, I also have two Grove 42 ft working height 8x16 ft deck scissor lifts for $640, back in 2003 to 2006 when lots started and most sold for $35 .have tons of EUC sealed bid lots at $42.63

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome

On the trailer, the Mil Spec Pigtail ends are avaiiliable for not too much. One option would be to change the bulbs to 12V, and cut the plug end off, the existing pigtail, and install a common RV plug on it. Just disregard the BO light stuff. Most pickups ar already wired for the RV plug.

michaelc

Thanks for the info on the gen, will do as you suggested and watch some on the aution site and see what they go for. I have been seeing some new post that the people have been getting phone calls telling them the gov has canx some trailer that have been won in SC and at Fort Polk. I called them today to sked pickup for Wed at noon. So I will keep my fingers crossed that I don't get the call as well. Will post some pics if I am sucessfully at getting the trailer on Wed.

two.fiveM35

I had a M1101 from Ft Polk, it's a great trailer but it looked way to big behind my 3/4 ton Suburban. Sold it to a guy that painted it flat black and pulls it in back of his 3/4 ton Dodge. It looked nice.
Bring a few screwdrivers and remove the support plates between the bows if you take the tarp off. I didnt and lost one with in one mile after leaving the base. Good luck

glassk

Thanks for the info on the gen, will do as you suggested and watch some on the aution site and see what they go for. I have been seeing some new post that the people have been getting phone calls telling them the gov has canx some trailer that have been won in SC and at Fort Polk. I called them today to sked pickup for Wed at noon. So I will keep my fingers crossed that I don't get the call as well. Will post some pics if I am sucessfully at getting the trailer on Wed.

link.jpg
take two of those, seems the bolt on pintle makes the hooks a little short, just in case

michaelc

Glassk,
Thanks, I pickup three today along with the tow lights at harbor freight. I would leave Tueday, but I need to change the starter and master cylinder on the son's car. He has been having to hit the starter for a couple of days and Tuesday is day off. And I should say he is going to do the work under supervision.

michaelc

Thanks for the info, would not have thought of that. Any input on how it will tow at speed if I leave the bows and cover on ?

two.fiveM35

If you have trouble getting on base, here is a number that may help (337)535-1300, it's the number of one of the GL ladies. Sorry, I don't recall the name of he contact. It may be a number you already have...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks