• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 from Barstow to Sacramento. Logistic help!

nanlin

Thanks very much again, Silverstate55!! You are just a wealth of great information! I will definitely keep your advice in mind, specifically about the tire situation. No, I do not have a spare. The GL photo looked good so I did not think I would have a tire problem, but you never know right?

This project is getting more expensive by the minute. Just called Land Rover dealship, and they will charge $220 for a tow electric kit and another $240 to install it!!

The EUC just got approved. Actually not excited about that, because I only have 10 business day to figure out my options. Does anyone know if GL will give extensions on picking up the goods?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, my bad on the SF-97...I forgot that it could take 4-6 weeks to process, meanwhile you're expected to pick up the items first. Go to your DMV office & inquire as to what is needed for a temporary movement permit (TMP).

If you're going to keep one (or both) of those trailers, then the trailer wiring is going to be necessary anyway...you'll need it every time you hook up to a trailer.

OR, you could take that money for the trailer wiring & put it towards Hundy taking care of them for you. That way you can look into getting the trailer wiring at a later date, especially if you have a change of heart or your significant-other decides that you don't really need these and makes you sell them. You never know.

Meanwhile, tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.... :mrgreen:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in WA it cost me $30 for a three day pass to pick up the trailer. I only needed one day but they only sell three day, so I took the trailer out with me the next day while I did some errands. :mrgreen:

The trailer has run-flat tires, so keep that in mind. I didn't stress over getting a flat whatsoever. A can of Fix-A-Flat is cheap. Mine was a 2009 model and the tires are almost new anyway.

nanlin

That 2009 trailer of yours is very nice, Chris! I was eyeing one several weeks back, might even be your event, but it would be too hard to travel from McChord to CA through all the moutanin passes.

clutzer

Thanks for the advice, Harold! I will try to do the move during day time and that may save me
from buying trailer lights. Already spend $600 on the hitch assembly to get the RRS tow ready!
I think the M1102 is rated to go 55mph max, so the drive will be painfully slow for almost 7 hours.
So hopefully GL will get me in first thing in AM and get me going.
See my thread for harness options: you can get an adapter so your RRS can power the lights of the M1101/2.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/83251-chronicle-tan-m1101-trailer-purchase-govliquidation-com.html

You can request an SF97 only after you've retrieved your property. Annoying, but the reason is because the title transfers to you when and only when you remove it from the GL lot.

Your state will likely need the SF97 before they will issue a title.

nanlin

Thanks for the info, clutzer! Your thread was very informative.

As the clock ticks away, I am working on the following:
1. To permit or not to permit... Is it me or is the CA DMV instructions a little bit hard to decide which permit is necessary? http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch25_Permits_and_Decals.pdf
2. Going to put together the plug adapter, as to avoid doing it in the rain or getting the temporary trailer lights. Of course, I will still bring a set of the lights just in case my splicing skills deteriorated.
3. Getting towing plug installed on my RRS in a few days. Ouch...
4. Backup plan? Hundy has given me good alternatives!

Questions:
1. Do these wheels run on ball bearings? Is there a possibility of wheels not moving at pickup?
2. I can take either I-5 or CA-99 back. Any thoughts one better than the other?
3. Does my vehicle insurance usually cover trailer accidents? Knock on wood.

Thanks for any comments.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd rather chew crushed glass than to ever have to suffer I-5 again. 99 is the easy choice.

clutzer

Thanks for the info, clutzer! Your thread was very informative.

As the clock ticks away, I am working on the following:
1. To permit or not to permit... Is it me or is the CA DMV instructions a little bit hard to decide which permit is necessary? http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch25_Permits_and_Decals.pdf
2. Going to put together the plug adapter, as to avoid doing it in the rain or getting the temporary trailer lights. Of course, I will still bring a set of the lights just in case my splicing skills deteriorated.
3. Getting towing plug installed on my RRS in a few days. Ouch...
Tell me about it. I had the stealership install my towing wiring on my RR and it was around $800-$900. Had I known then what I do now...
4. Backup plan? Hundy has given me good alternatives!

Questions:
1. Do these wheels run on ball bearings? Is there a possibility of wheels not moving at pickup?
Not sure... It's a regular axle I think. Perhaps you should take a look a the M1101/M1102 manual? I've attached what I've got for your convenience.
2. I can take either I-5 or CA-99 back. Any thoughts one better than the other?
3. Does my vehicle insurance usually cover trailer accidents? Knock on wood.
Mine does in Nevada. You can get optional coverage for when the trailer is not attached to your tow vehicle. It cost me $13 for 6 months to do so.

Attachments

clutzer

That 2009 trailer of yours is very nice, Chris! I was eyeing one several weeks back, might even be your event, but it would be too hard to travel from McChord to CA through all the moutanin passes.
I just towed my M1101 from JBLM to Calgary, AB. 720 miles, Sea level to 1400 meters. Needless to say it was pretty slow going up steep hills, and my fuel economy? Well I won't go there.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. One thing you might have missed is the safety chains. Using that pintle setup puts the trailer farther behind the tow vehicle than normal due to the angled support and the extra height. Stop by Home Depot or Lowes and pick up two or four Quick Links. Or, you could do what I did and hook the chains on the angled support.

nanlin

Mainsail,

I thought about where to put the safety chairs, but then I remembered your photo so I had already planned to do the same. Thanks for the reminder!

clutzer

Mainsail,

I thought about where to put the safety chairs, but then I remembered your photo so I had already planned to do the same. Thanks for the reminder!
Is this the set up?

http://www.topohiker.com/news/newspics/Trailer07.png

I don't know if you'd want to rely on that, not to mention letting a cop see that. As Mainsail points out the chains are too short: you need the chains to hook up to something other than the hitch because if the hitch fails, the chains are supposed to be there to back it up. In this configuration if the hitch fails (falls out, snaps at the 90 degree joint), the chains likely won't do anything.

I'm just thinking out loud here: you could try the following: adjust the height of the Lunette Ring and try to draw the trailer as close to the vehicle as possible (i.e. the Lunette Ring closer to the car than the pintle). Perhaps you can attach the safety chains first, then drop the Lunette Ring onto the pintle hitch. From Mainsail's picture it seems like there could be a chance the chains would reach--it's just impossible to hook them up when the trailer is hitched due to the slack needed to deal with the articulation surrounding those huge hooks.

Of course if you try this, MAKE SURE that you can fully turn left and right without the chains getting taught.

Or, just get extra chain from Home Depot ;-)

Last edited:

nanlin

Thanks clutzer! I see what you and mainsail are saying now.

Do you know how much slack ahead of the lunette ring the safety chains wil go?
Can you tell me the exac spec that I would need at Home Depot? Or do I just tell them
that I need Quick Link chains?

RRS has a big tow ring at bumper for towing cars stuck in whatever. I suppose I can hook
the chain extension through that and somehow lock the 2 extra chains together. Thoughts?

nanlin

Does anyone know if there is a big empty area right outside the Barstow base gate, that we can test drive the trailer and fix whatever problems? Like a huge parking lot of some kind. I looked at teh Google map and it looks like a big empty land right outside the gate, on the north side of the
road, that might work. Thanks.

nanlin

Thanks harleyhouse! Got 2 safety chain extensions per trailer, each one is 36" long. I figure,
if I just get one chain and connect 2 existing safety chains through the vehicle, then if it breaks then
both safety will go, whereas if independnt then if one fails then I may still have one more safety chain.

Did anyone ever remind me that owning a trailer could be epensive...???!!!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you got everything all set up right...once you get over the initial investment it will be worth it. Best of luck on your recovery, and we expect pics!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks