• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 HMMWV trailer chassis

cucvrus

OK. The three piece ground rod. Take the first piece and stick it in the ground, Screw in the second piece. Put the slide hammer on the second piece. Raise it up, and bring it down SHARPLY. The first piece WILL go into the ground. Some. Depends on how hard the ground is and how many rocks you hit. Repeat raising the hammer until the first piece is compleatly in the ground, or you get tired of hammering bent over double, or on your knees. Remove hammer. Screw in third ground rod piece. Put hummer on the third piece and repeat all the above steps. I fell in love with the slide hammer the first time I used it. Beats the heck out of sledge hammers ALL day. And for removing the rods, man, that alone makes having one worth a million bucks. I always had a forth piece, so I could drive the third piece all the way into the ground. Norm is 9 feet deep, if possible.
I must be missing the couplings for connecting the copper rods together. I have the 3 rods only. I don't think they were ever pounded into the ground. They are threaded on both ends. So I assume the pounding action takes place on the connection couplings. Thank you. I will be using all the parts for something else. The heavy steel piece I have used as a dolly to straighten out things.

Guyfang

Staff member
One of the things not shown in the TM is that there is a big fat bolt that gets screwed into the upper most coupler. That way, the coupler is not damaged when someone uses a sledge hammer instead of the slide hammer. Maybe someone can take a picture of one put together that they have at home.

Edit: Just found this PS mag article. Shows all the parts, including the bolt.

Edit again: This is a slide hammer handout I got about a million years ago.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks