• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 soft top refurbish

NuclearPuppy238

After looking at the price of a new "canvas" top, I decided to refurbish the one I already have. It took about 3 coats of paint on the outside, but care was taken to not make the paint too thick or it would start to look glossy.
I had a few holes along the corner area along the sides that leaked water, some "non seen on TV" rubberized spray product worked very well to seal them from the inside, but be careful of the fumes while inside the trailer. I am very happy how it turned out, see attached pics after a rainy day.

IMG_2156.jpg IMG_2155.jpg

rustystud

After looking at the price of a new "canvas" top, I decided to refurbish the one I already have. It took about 3 coats of paint on the outside, but care was taken to not make the paint too thick or it would start to look glossy.
I had a few holes along the corner area along the sides that leaked water, some "non seen on TV" rubberized spray product worked very well to seal them from the inside, but be careful of the fumes while inside the trailer. I am very happy how it turned out, see attached pics after a rainy day.

View attachment 665370 View attachment 665371

Is this the "vinyl" type of cover ? If so what kind of paint did you use ? I have a "Tan" colored top for my deuce but I want the 1980's "Camo" look and need a paint that will stick to the vinyl cover.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even the faded ones look good when wet.
How does it look in the sunlight?

Aerosol or brush?
Brand?
Did you use paint designed for vinyl?

NuclearPuppy238

Yes, I have the vinyl top.

I used spray paint from the Rapco Parts website using the C.A.R.C. substitute colors. I chose them, because I can order any mix of colors per case. I did test the paint on a test area to see if it will "eat" the vinyl. No issues were seen, and the paint sticks just fine. Will see how it weathers over time.

I decided to repaint because the original paint was falling off as powder each time the top got wet. Black was almost gone on the back, and you could see "BLK" written in yellow which was under the black painted portions. It appears the green was just the original vinyl color of the material without paint. I did end up painting the green with the CARC substitute color to protect from the elements, and allow myself to correct any over spray, mistakes, drips etc.

So far so good.

Will post more pics when it stops raining.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your cover looks quite good. I have a M105A2 with the solid green vinyl cover. I'm going to try the same thing. First I need to get some tears repaired. When I got the trailer from Fort Riley, the cover appeared to be new. Unfortunately, a bear decided to see what was inside and tore off many of the canvas ties.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks