• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1102 tire questions

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Feeling pretty dumb asking this question, but i have a m1102 generator trailer that i got back in december. tire was low so i aired it up before towing home. Trailer has been sitting and so the tire lost air. i went to fill it up with air today and could not get air in. I pulled the valve stem and still could not get air in, pulled off the valve stem holder still nothing. i have moved the valve stem position top, bottom, side, does not matter. Is the run flat the culprit here or am i missing something obvious.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Feeling pretty dumb asking this question, but i have a m1102 generator trailer that i got back in december. tire was low so i aired it up before towing home. Trailer has been sitting and so the tire lost air. i went to fill it up with air today and could not get air in. I pulled the valve stem and still could not get air in, pulled off the valve stem holder still nothing. i have moved the valve stem position top, bottom, side, does not matter. Is the run flat the culprit here or am i missing something obvious.
It's possible, but I've never heard of a run flat moving inside the rim to block air if it worked before.

Should be able to run a stiff wire through the hole with the valve assembly removed. If not then likely plugged up somehow.

As long as you don't have any air pressure, you should be able to disassemble the wheel and see how everything lines up. Since it was leaking air before, I'd probably want to replace the O-ring in the rim anyway, as that's the most common leak culprit (unless of course you have a hole in the tire)

If I recall correctly, someone had a fully inflated tire that they couldn't release the air from, and they ended up using a small drill bit to clean out the passage. I don't think they went all the way through the run flat; just cleaned it up a little at the edge.

If your tire has ANY pressure in it at all, do NOT disassemble the rim/loosen any of the rim bolts. major safety issue, and not my fault if you do so and hurt yourself. You've been warned.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the tire flat like down on the rim sidewall folded up maybe against the valve stem inside the tire maybe rotate stem to new spot like 12 oclock ! just throwing ideas out there dont mind me !

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the tire flat like down on the rim sidewall folded up maybe against the valve stem inside the tire maybe rotate stem to new spot like 12 oclock ! just throwing ideas out there dont mind me !
Already tried that as explained in the beginning, and yes the air line is plugged in. even tried a different fill nozzle, and ran a piece of mig wire through the hole

uniquify

Already tried that as explained in the beginning, and yes the air line is plugged in. even tried a different fill nozzle, and ran a piece of mig wire through the hole
Any chance your pressure regulator is turned down way low?

Does the same thing happen if you use a small blow gun tip in the valve stem with the valve core removed?

Could someone have dumped a bunch of slime in there and plugged the valve stem?

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance your pressure regulator is turned down way low?

Does the same thing happen if you use a small blow gun tip in the valve stem with the valve core removed?

Could someone have dumped a bunch of slime in there and plugged the valve stem?
I tried the blow gun, i have the regulator turned up but thanks for the suggestion. Unless the military uses slime i do not believe that is it.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say you "got" the trailer, do you mean you got it from a milsurp auction or private party?

I reassembled the wheels on my M1165 and had this problem, but it was because the PVC beadlock had shifted and blocked the valve stem inside the tire.

Taking a two-piece wheel apart with any pressure inside is generally an unhealthy proposition, but it sounds like yours is totally flat so you should be OK.

Before you get the wrenches out, remove the wheel and put it in the sun somewhere to warm up. Then jump up and down on the bent part of the tire. It might shift whatever is blocking the valve stem, as well as be very entertaining to your wife and neighbors.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer came from Gov Planet, I will take the tire off and try the wheel hopscotch as you sugest
Hmmmm, it took air once, but not now. :unsure:

Sometimes the mechanic uses more grease than is necessary, and it might have liquified on a hot day and settled in the valve opening, but seems like 100psi would push it aside. 🤷‍♂️ Your compressor is making at least that much pressure right?

The run-flat might have stuck against the opening for the valve stem from the position and heat.

Do you have pictures you can load?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks